Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

06 Jun 2015, 14:59

Muirium wrote: Emoji doubleshots must be coming next…
They can't be far off. The dye sub version was already proposed a few months back.

http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/s ... ml#p211330

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2015, 15:02

Those are mere smileys. You'd need a desk hogging keyboard like Kbdfr to even begin to approach the majesty of emoji.

Actually, perhaps that's exactly why he has a board so capacious! Most efficient.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

06 Jun 2015, 15:07

Muirium wrote: I appreciate you don't have them. But I can't keep track of whether you "have" them, for ordering purposes, or if they're 7bit's.
Ah, I see.

7bit's sold out of HONEY/FUNCTION2, but I should have some individual keys available for sale or trade (hello aftermarket!)

But 7bit also got enough extra keys from SP to make up some more kits: this is HONEY/FUNCTION2/E.
This were in stock last I knew.

AFAIK the contents of FUNCTION2 and FUNCTION2/E are identical.
Though the wiki's row description for 2/E is wrong; 2/E should have all row 3 except the row 1 F zero key.
I'm guessing that was taken from HONEYB/FUNCTION - a scary thought - FUNCTION2 has taken over...

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

06 Jun 2015, 15:12

Muirium wrote: Those are mere smileys. You'd need a desk hogging keyboard like Kbdfr to even begin to approach the majesty of emoji.
Spoiler:
Actually, perhaps that's exactly why he has a board so capacious! Most efficient.
Looks like DT needs you to lead the design work for Round 6.

Funny, there's only one glyph I can imagine kbdfr wanting on a keyboard.
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2015, 15:13

Dammit. Now I want that key!

SL89

06 Jun 2015, 15:23

So is the interrobang real then or not...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Jun 2015, 15:35

facetsesame wrote: […] Funny, there's only one glyph I can imagine kbdfr wanting on a keyboard.
Spoiler:
Correct, it is a must.
Spoiler:
setup-01-25 15-06-04 with Tipro key.jpg
setup-01-25 15-06-04 with Tipro key.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 4797 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Jun 2015, 15:40

Halvar wrote: No, [ß] hasn't been dropped, they just changed the rules on when to use it to make it more consistent. If the vocal before it is pronounced short we now use "ss", and if it's long, it's "ß". So "daß" (that) is now "dass", "muß" (must) is now "muss", but "Straße" (street) is still "Straße" and "groß" (big, tall) is still "groß".

Capital ß is just an academic thing and officially not part of German, but it's still been in Unicode for some time for whatever reason. ẞ never appears at the beginning of a word in German, and it is normally replaced by "SS" when capitalizing whole words, but capital ß can be useful in more pathological cases, e.g. in this sentence here.
Perfect explanation. Nice to see there are people who know and also care :D

scottc

06 Jun 2015, 15:55

kbdfr wrote:
facetsesame wrote: […] Funny, there's only one glyph I can imagine kbdfr wanting on a keyboard.
Spoiler:
Correct, it is a must.
Spoiler:
setup-01-25%2015-06-04%20with%20Tipro%20key.jpg
Now I must ask... what does that key do?

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2015, 16:15

Emits grumbling. Unless you're really smart and know how to script ebay shill hunts…

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jun 2015, 16:22

Speaking of ß, look at that on my Unitech caps lock. It's the funkiest variation.

Khers

06 Jun 2015, 16:25

seebart wrote: Speaking of ß, look at that on my Unitech caps lock. It's the funkiest variation.
That must certainly be a beta though... :mrgreen:

seebart

06 Jun 2015, 16:28

It's strange compared to the rest of "Groß". Almost italic. It's like the (Taiwanese?) manufacturer did not know how to deal with the crazy German letters.
Last edited by seebart on 06 Jun 2015, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

06 Jun 2015, 16:28

Not almost, it IS italic

Maybe they didn't have an ß on whatever they used to design those caps and went with beta and thought nobody will ever spot the difference

seebart

06 Jun 2015, 16:32

So your saying it's supposed to be that way? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. I really like eszet. :D

Last edited by seebart on 06 Jun 2015, 16:45, edited 6 times in total.

Khers

06 Jun 2015, 16:43

Nah, I'm not sure what I say. To my eyes it just looks like an italics beta rather than an eszett (italics or not) and I agree that it looks kind of weird. But a bit funky at the same time.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

06 Jun 2015, 18:45

SL89 wrote: So is the interrobang real then or not...
Sure is! All the row 3 HONEY/FUNCTION2 keys are in this pic:
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/d ... ml#p212156

But we'll just have to wait a little longer for the HONEYB/FUNCTION keys...
seebart wrote: So your saying it's supposed to be that way? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. I really like eszet. :D

Can we have a group buy please? :)

JanitorJoe

07 Jun 2015, 09:51

facetsesame wrote: AFAIK the contents of FUNCTION2 and FUNCTION2/E are identical.
Does that go for HONEY/FUNCTION/R3 and HONEY/FUNCTION/R3/E as well? Not having any idea what that /E was supposed to indicate I just steered clear of the /E option when ordering.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

07 Jun 2015, 13:45

JanitorJoe wrote:
facetsesame wrote: AFAIK the contents of FUNCTION2 and FUNCTION2/E are identical.
Does that go for HONEY/FUNCTION/R3 and HONEY/FUNCTION/R3/E as well? Not having any idea what that /E was supposed to indicate I just steered clear of the /E option when ordering.
Looking at the R5 leftovers wiki page, the kits look identical so I'd expect they are. Further back in this topic 7bit specifically mentioned the FUNCTION2/E was full extra sets. Perhaps that's what /E is; though I also notice a /F...

Generally though the ones to be careful of are the /OVR kits - they're made up of overrun keys and are incomplete, so they may not have all the keys you want. They're worth checking though - if they do have the keys you want they can offer savings compared to the original.

FUNCTION7x is its own world of new kits made up of extra overrun keys, including a FUNCTION7E.

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2015, 15:21

seebart wrote: It's strange compared to the rest of "Groß". Almost italic. It's like the (Taiwanese?) manufacturer did not know how to deal with the crazy German letters.
When I was learning German, I remember being freaked out the first time I saw ß. WTF is that!? How many more additional letters do they have? Sound the alarm! Fortunately, you guys only really have that one. (And the Swiss, very sensibly, nixed it.) Umlauts aren't so bad. We English speakers generally just plough through foreign words with diacriticals anyway. Whatever the damage! This works especially well in diacritical crazy Turkish.

So yeah I sympathise with your Asian manufacturer. Be pleased they were creative enough to turn to Greek instead of doing the obvious and going for capital B. I think I remember seeing that exact thing done in German class once, as whoever typed it had no idea whatsoever how to enter eszett and didn't know what it meant either.

Now, about those schokoladen…

seebart

07 Jun 2015, 15:24

Well we got ü, ö and ä. But those are just variations. What's even more interesting is the ß was kept alive until today. There was a time when they thought about killing it. But it was kept. Double s would be much simpler.

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2015, 15:27

Yeah, you can see see what the base letter is. Whole new symbols are where things get nasty. And in between you get ligatures like æ which must cause non-Latin readers nightmares too.

seebart

07 Jun 2015, 15:32

Check this out: http://www.altdeutsche-schrift.de/beispiele.html

You've probably seen those before. Makes ß look simplistic. You'd need several FN layers for that.
Last edited by seebart on 07 Jun 2015, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2015, 15:34

Make it stop!

seebart

07 Jun 2015, 15:39

I know my grandparents could still read some of those. It might as well be Japanese to me.

chzel

07 Jun 2015, 15:41

Oh god...the memories...when I took German lessons (~25 years ago) the teacher taught us to write cursive...I loved it..I took 3 years German and I remember some of it, while after 5 years of French I remember almost nothing...

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2015, 15:44

I mostly remember the dairy products.

Mal-2

07 Jun 2015, 19:00

Incognito wrote: Its the same thing in danish (my native tounge) - simplifications over the years have actually made disambiguations harder - all in the name of convenience.
</rant>
Yeah but you've got the ÆØÅ! (And I can actually type those, I don't have to copypaste them.)

SL89

07 Jun 2015, 19:06

Incognito wrote: simplifications over the years have actually made disambiguations harder - all in the name of convenience.
</rant>
Welcome to the land of English speakers / writers where we use the same word for multiple meanings depending on arbitrary context (and sometimes spelling.)

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2015, 19:08

English is especially bad at that. But I hear Chinese is much worse (verbally, if not written) and I suspect every natural language has puns and confusion aplenty. We don't trust vital stuff like that to linguists, alas. Although looking at the inscrutable IPA, perhaps that's not entirely a bad thing.

Return to “Group buys”