[IC] X-wing inspired keyset

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 09:39

I'm not a huge fan of harlequin keysets but when it comes to star wars...

Please consider that this is just a draft, of course I need to make a full keyboard yet, but I'd like your feedback regarding an X-wing inspired keycaps set.

Something like this

some of the keys (eg: ENTER) might be even in Aurebesh.

Edit: would be also totally cool having a TIE-fighter counterpart :)
Last edited by matt3o on 19 Dec 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

7bit

19 Dec 2013, 10:11

The kit looks like some keys are yellowed more than others.
:lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 10:21

actually this is the only set on planet where aging makes it better.

LechnerDE

19 Dec 2013, 11:04

I love the idea!

Is this going to be 60% only or will you offer TKL / fullsize options as well?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 11:05

full size of course. I'll work on the full layout later.

also more ideas:

F2 and F3 might read R2 and C3 (and be blue and yellow respectively)

pasph

19 Dec 2013, 11:14

SA DCS DSA?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 11:16

pasph wrote:SA DCS DSA?
that's a decision far far away :)

I'd love DSA, but I might settle for DCS. (we had enough SA lately)

Findecanor

19 Dec 2013, 12:08

matt3o wrote:I'm not a huge fan of harlequin keysets but when it comes to star wars...
Those are actually the colours of Red squadron. X-wings from other squadrons had other colours, but.. we almost only ever see Red Squadron, or the successor: Rogue Squadron, so...

Specifically, that is Red 5's (Luke Skywalker's) X-wing, as indicated by the five small red rectangles on the wings.
In the original movie each pilot's model had a different number of rectangles indicating their number in the squadron, but when the effects were remade in CGI for the Special Edition, the animators were lazy and used the same textures for them all.

The "Rebel bird" symbol was only found on some pilot helmets, never on X-wings, and some X-wing pilots never wore that symbol. It has become the Rebel symbol afterwards. Most pilot helmets in Star Wars (Ep4) and The Empire strikes Back (Ep5) were plain "generic" helmets with blue birds. Only a few were more elaborately painted, like Luke's, Biggs' and Wedge's. In Return of the Jedi, there were also generic helmets with red birds.

A few years ago I scoured Star Wars images for any keyboards. There aren't any, really. There is something that looks vaguely like a large wide keyboard at the edge of a production image of the cargo hold of the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars, but I can't tell for certain. Some Imperial Officers may use a keypad. There are lots of panels, buttons and levers all over Star Wars, but most of them lack any symbols whatsoever. The Targeting Computer inside the X-wing has a few symbols next to the main panel. The Tractor Beam control in Star Wars had legends in English/latin letters, that were changed to Aurebesh for the DVD release. The Aurebesh letters originate from the Imperial computer screens in Return of the Jedi, but the mapping to Latin letters was done afterwards and the letters on the screens only interpret as jibberish - or not at all, because a couple of the characters were never mapped. The Aurebesh writing in the prequel-trilogy are proper words, though.

snoopy

19 Dec 2013, 12:37

will there be iso/language options?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 12:40

Findecanor wrote:
matt3o wrote:I'm not a huge fan of harlequin keysets but when it comes to star wars...
Those are actually the colours of Red squadron. X-wings from other squadrons had other colours, but.. we almost only ever see Red Squadron, or the successor: Rogue Squadron, so...
cool thanks! I'll add more info like that in the final GB (if it will ever happen)... I guess you are interested :)

the rebel logo can't be probably used due to legal issues, but we can find more subtle logos/imagery that we could use.
snoopy wrote:will there be iso/language options?
depends on interest

zulios

19 Dec 2013, 13:24

Does that mean you would be putting aside / abandoning your previous idea ?
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t6061.html

trax

19 Dec 2013, 13:26

Draw an R2D2 on the ESC key!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 13:47

zulios wrote:Does that mean you would be putting aside / abandoning your previous idea ?
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t6061.html
nope, the xwing one will be for a project that I unfortunately can't talk you about (NDA) :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 13:50

updated layout

7bit

19 Dec 2013, 13:59

It is obvious that you will sell kits made up from Round 4, Round 5 and Penumbra grab bags!
:P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 14:02

I've gone too far... huh? :D

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2013, 14:13

Single symbol legends: yes! Star Wars: hmm. I'd take it in a more subtle version.

And instead of 1234567890 on the top row, I like JPatters idea: !@#$%^&*(). We almost made it past the cut in Round 5 with those.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 14:15

I suppose this set doesn't make any sense for non-star-wars-fans, or anyway if you want a keyboard that is not blatantly star wars related

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2013, 14:17

Needs Vader Mask on ESC. (Which is actually one of the best Clacks, I think.)

Anyway, this is what I was on about:
Symbols! Whole key symmetry! Cryptic! Dyesub me up on white PBT!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Dec 2013, 14:21

we need much more custom caps for sure.

anyway it was just a crazy idea for a soon to come project (mid Jan). I'll think something else if this is too nerdy

Muirium
µ

19 Dec 2013, 14:29

Not nerdy enough. I'd like a set of caps in the Greek alphabet…

LechnerDE

19 Dec 2013, 14:36

Muirium wrote:Needs Vader Mask on ESC.
qouted for truth!

There should be an optional 100$ Esc key :mrgreen:
Last edited by LechnerDE on 19 Dec 2013, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

19 Dec 2013, 14:42

I actually think I would pay that much for a Vader CC!

But I am sorry, I just don't think it resembles anything star wars enough, maybe red Shift keys and blue on white R2D2 key cap?

IvanIvanovich

19 Dec 2013, 19:21

What I would suggest, You could buy blank PBTs in the colors you want from SP, and then send them off to China for dyesubbing. This way you can use all the Star Wars logos you would like in the set since they do not care. Perhaps take the whole thing to the next level and do it entirely in Aurebesh... that way there is no complications of having several localized language variations.
Normally I would suggest to do them in nice Cherry thick pbt, but the MOQ for custom color combination set I think would tank this.

Dubsgalore

19 Dec 2013, 19:22

Cool idea, good luck with this!

IvanIvanovich

20 Dec 2013, 01:33

I'll take care of the darkside :D

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Dec 2013, 01:51

Two shades of red is too much. One would be better imo.

EDIT: Same with grays.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Dec 2013, 09:12

webwit wrote:Two shades of red is too much. One would be better imo.

EDIT: Same with grays.
I know but... that wouldn't be x-wingy :) just a nice color combo

fireglow

20 Dec 2013, 14:53

Would this be manufactured by SP?

Vierax

20 Dec 2013, 15:26

Now I want to launch Rogue Squadron :D

Return to “Group buys”