-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 00:21

drrtyrokka wrote:Here, just a try...
this is not bad actually

nerdvana

01 Apr 2014, 02:23

drrtyrokka wrote:Here, just a try...
+1 to 42! (43?)

Which form would be more befitting Nerdom: 7-segment LED, or some interpretation of Nixie? (Humbly acknowledges his own abject lack of graphic design skills.)

fifted

01 Apr 2014, 03:25

Space invaders! (Retro gamer nerds unite?)

drrtyrokka

01 Apr 2014, 07:30

Shrooms Overdose!!

Nixie would be nice too btw... Let's see what I can make.
Is there any limitation for color?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 09:02

SP won't print the mushroom... it's already a miracle we can use the heart.

zulios

01 Apr 2014, 09:27

To anyone having a tipro or similar : I am going to order 100 x 2 units 2 stems keys in the modifiers colour (dark gray). I only need 25 of them, so you can contact me if you need some.

Please note they will not be offered in the GB, this is an order I had to place with sp directly.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 09:28

zulios wrote:To anyone having a tipro or similar : I am going to order 100 x 2 units 2 stems keys in the modifiers colour (dark gray). I only need 25 of them, so you can contact me if you need some.

Please note they will not be offered in the GB, this is an order I had to place with sp directly.
can I place a note in the first post?

drrtyrokka

01 Apr 2014, 11:16

Icon RGB got 2 now, woohoo!

StylinGreymon

01 Apr 2014, 12:53

drrtyrokka wrote:Icon RGB got 2 now, woohoo!
If you're the other order, it's just you and me against the world, buddy.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 12:56

don't worry, the rest of the world comes at 24h from finish

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 12:59

If SP took up front payment in enthusiasm, I'd be all set. I'm there with you guys, but my bank isn't quite with me yet…

(Actually yet to cross the $0 threshhold, but you know how these things are. Last day indeed…)

drrtyrokka

01 Apr 2014, 14:01

StylinGreymon wrote:
drrtyrokka wrote:Icon RGB got 2 now, woohoo!
If you're the other order, it's just you and me against the world, buddy.
Yea, i'm against everything mainstream anyway :P
Got used to fight against the world everyday :D

drrtyrokka

01 Apr 2014, 14:07

And another question here:
Are the caps on the right side of the nerdom kit 1.25u or 1.5?
Do the stepped keycaps have an off-centered stem (like in round5) ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 14:19

nerdom keys are 1u and 1.25u

stepped key is left stemmed.

Supergeek

01 Apr 2014, 14:54

Re: nerdom

If we're voting for alternatives, I'd vote for Space Invaders alien, Aperture Science, infinity symbol, radioactive, biohazard, celtic knot, or computer chip

What's with the cats? That's not really an iconic figure, to me. Maybe a pixel kitty head or something, like this without the background.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 15:02

Supergeek wrote:Re: nerdom

If we're voting for alternatives, I'd vote for Space Invaders alien, Aperture Science, infinity symbol, radioactive, biohazard, celtic knot, or computer chip
all good suggestions. infinity, radioactive and biohazard are a bit over-used and I'd skip those.
Supergeek wrote:What's with the cats? That's not really an iconic figure, to me. Maybe a pixel kitty head or something, like this without the background.
my wife's keycap. you can't really touch it, sorry :) (but I may ask if she likes your pixellated version)

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 15:03

Cats are there by Mrs. Matteo's decree!

The hard thing with icon legends is that dye sub is only really single colour, or two at a stretch.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 15:05

Muirium wrote:Cats are there by Mrs. Matteo's decree!

The hard thing with icon legends is that dye sub is only really single colour, or two at a stretch.
technically speaking... we could have justin bieber's face in full technicolor if we really really wanted... but we don't want. right? :D

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 15:08

Oh? Well, Mr. Beaver to one side, what colours can we manage? The chip icon could use a separate grey and black…

scottc

01 Apr 2014, 15:08

matt3o wrote:technically speaking... we could have justin bieber's face in full technicolor if we really really wanted... but we don't want. right? :D
speak for yourself!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 15:23

Muirium wrote:Oh? Well, Mr. Beaver to one side, what colours can we manage? The chip icon could use a separate grey and black…
I probably never explained how dye sub works.

The image (any picture) is printed at fairly high definition on a special sheet of paper. The paper is wrapped around the keycap (actually vacuumed) and then heated at temperatures over 100°C.

The PBT soaks the ink that is permanently transferred on the plastic. Durability of the sublimation depends on temperature, material, ink and time of exposure.

The primary problem is that the colors are summed to the keycap base color. So basically, if you have a yellow cap and you print cyan ink, you get a greenish result.

So, on a white keycap you can basically print whatever you want. On a light gray keycap we are also pretty free but we have to use slightly darker colors. On medium/dark gray we are basically limited to black and red/blue dark tones. Of course we could use two shades of dark gray, but I'm not able to make print proofs, so I have to stay safe and use colors I'm sure they are going to work.

Lastly there's the bleeding effect. The ink slightly bleeds during the process, so it is better to avoid: 1) very dark colors on light backgrounds (higher contrast colors = more bleeding) 2) fine lines that are too close.

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 15:29

Ah, one single full-colour pass. Now I get it! Thanks Matt.

Just out of interest: can we dyesub sparkly, shiny, unicorny inks like you find in gold pens?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 15:36

Muirium wrote:Ah, one single full-colour pass. Now I get it! Thanks Matt.

Just out of interest: can we dyesub sparkly, shiny, unicorny inks like you find in gold pens?
they must be very special kind of inks and the end result wouldn't be so unicorny... but yeah technically speaking it should be possible. Practically, no, not really (ie: SP won't do that).

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 15:40

Thanks. Someday a copper / silver striped tiger cap will be mine! Next time…

Supergeek

01 Apr 2014, 15:46

You've got two Star Wars... how about a Trek? http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2007 ... 2270er.svg or an IDIC or a "Live Long and Prosper" hand.

You've got Linux and Mac (parody), how about an Android? http://www.holoncom.eu/Portals/holoncom ... ndroid.jpg

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 15:53

Hello copyright.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Apr 2014, 15:59

LLAP key was there and everybody was like "what a nice quadruple slash keycap"

Vierax

01 Apr 2014, 16:32

the legend is pretty obvious \\//
\ backslash (direct access)
\ dead key (shift layer)
/ slash (altgr layer)
/ dead key for diacritics (shif+altgr)

7bit

01 Apr 2014, 16:38

I've added GRANITE-style PBT keys to Round 5!
:o

Here is the thread: Round 5 / GRANITE style
:ugeek:

Because I can offer lower shipping costs, matt3o's group buy is now obsolete!
:cool:

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2014, 16:41

FINALLY!!

Return to “Group buys”