GMK Triumph Adler - now live on Massdrop!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

26 Mar 2015, 16:11

scottc wrote: I think it would be cool to organise an ANSI to UK/DE/NOR/FR/... adapter set. Or even a DE to UK/NOR/UK/etc adapter. DE doubleshots are so common and so cheap to get in really good condition.
Yes, exactly, you could do that for the most common Grey/White set that is quite popular, or the WoB. I would not mind to pay also for UK/DE/NOR/FR/ legends. I like using some of them:
Spoiler:
And I would love some Nordic stuff on my board, those Æ :D
Last edited by DanielT on 26 Mar 2015, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Ascaii
The Beard

26 Mar 2015, 16:14

DanielT wrote: I think that we should get organized and create a GB tailored to our needs, a GMK GB, because there have been a lot of GB's that addressed all the localization "issues" (Granite, Round5 ..) . GMK is in Europe, I just don't see why we could not find 250 individuals interested in something like this. I know people think "why should I buy a set that includes Nordic or German stuff if I don't use it" , well the answer is simple, you do it for the community because none of this would ever exist without Americans, Germans, Italians, French, Swedish, Koreans and the list can go on. In such a project people should think that buy paying something extra is making a gift to a fellow keyboard enthusiast. If people are ready to pay 30-40$ for an artisan cap I'm sure they will be able to do that for some extra caps.
I wouldn't mind buying a GMK set that contains Nordic or German legends, even if I use ANSI US those caps would be like novelty caps for me and fun to use on my board.
Just my 0.02$ I know sometimes I expect to much from others...
I agree 100%. Basically, I need to figure out the business end of things, such as registering a business, etc. before i can consider taking on a major group buy like this, but i am definitely on top of this. I want to create not just one set of keys, but a group project that will bring everyone together. I hate the hate^^.

This image was posted over at MD, something like this would be the base of a laguage addon kit:
Attachments
ZPLGVK_20150326_060012_L93Z4.png
ZPLGVK_20150326_060012_L93Z4.png (250.2 KiB) Viewed 3482 times

DanielT

26 Mar 2015, 16:19

I wonder if GMK has also Romanian molds... I doubt that and I'm not absurd, we are like 4 Romanians here and Alin is using Colemak :lol:
But I would support this 100%, something like this represents the essence of being a community :)

pasph

26 Mar 2015, 16:23

I can't understand why germans still speak german, just speak only amerikan problem solved

scottc

26 Mar 2015, 16:23

pasph wrote: I can't understand why germans still speak german, just speak only amerikan problem solved
:D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Mar 2015, 16:36

Spikebolt wrote: […] Yes, Ascaii was the one true who said "this isn't for me" from the start so, obviously, he's not included in the late party bandwagon. Not trying to be rude, but apparently only one person on DT cared enough to call it a dealbreaker at the proper timing. […]
Two hours and six posts after Ascaii's post referred to, I posted this:
kbdfr wrote: […] I wonder, though, that our US friends expect us Europeans (and others) to help them reach the MOQ
even without offering the different caps needed for our national layouts. […]
And if you read the discussion which follows, you will see the arguments I objected "at the proper timing", as you put it.

DanielT

26 Mar 2015, 16:39

pasph wrote: I can't understand why germans still speak german, just speak only amerikan problem solved
Even some Romanians speak German :lol:

Touch_It

26 Mar 2015, 17:32

Everyone just speak English (USA) and lets be done with it :D. #MURRICA

SL89

26 Mar 2015, 17:46

Wasn't one of the big hangups the huge moq needed for the custom colors? 250 is doable, 500 less so, 1000 even less likely. Unfortunately for those outlier groups, ANSI and English had the most purchasing power, I'm sure if there were a majority ISO / International users then it wouldn't be as much of a hurdle. Iirc Hyperfuse had the exact same issue.

Ascaii
The Beard

26 Mar 2015, 18:24

SL89 wrote: Wasn't one of the big hangups the huge moq needed for the custom colors? 250 is doable, 500 less so, 1000 even less likely. Unfortunately for those outlier groups, ANSI and English had the most purchasing power, I'm sure if there were a majority ISO / International users then it wouldn't be as much of a hurdle. Iirc Hyperfuse had the exact same issue.
Including an *OPTIONAL* language kit with a group buy like this on a group buying site like massdrop would have had a huge chance to succeed, especially when you compare it to some of the other "companies" or individuals that have tried running group buys with ISO kits.

An iso addon would not only have helped motivate more people to purchase the original set, but it would have also left the cost of paying for special keys to the people that actually want and need them. If I run this group buy in the future, it will be done like this: base replica set and the optional addon kit for ALL requested additional keys

SL89

26 Mar 2015, 18:45

But correct me if I'm wrong, massdrop has had nothing but issues shipping internationally. I agree that it could have, but maybe they were simply trying to avoid a further debacle. Either way, I can't really speculate any more. :/

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Mar 2015, 18:47

Never had any problem with Massdrop while I'm in France.

Halvar

26 Mar 2015, 18:48

Ascaii wrote: Including an *OPTIONAL* language kit with a group buy like this on a group buying site like massdrop would have had a huge chance to succeed, especially when you compare it to some of the other "companies" or individuals that have tried running group buys with ISO kits.
How do you come to this conclusion? Do you have one single example of a group buy or other keycap buy where anywhere near 250 international kits (comprising more than one language) were sold? I haven't seen anything like this so far.

And in the case of a TA set, you would even need 500. Totally unfeasible. I really don't understand what the fuss was even about here. A GMK set with international legends would be great, but it won't happen as long as GMK's prices and MOQ are what they are.

pasph

26 Mar 2015, 18:58

Why the 1x1 key near the iso left shift is blank? Is weird, how much has saved this way?

Ascaii
The Beard

26 Mar 2015, 19:00

You are missing my point Halvar...there has never been a comparable group buy to this. No other set has had the mass appeal or an organized and proffessional vendor behind it. I am not surprised that many other group buys have failed, as most of them pitched the kits to the wrong crowds.

DanielT

26 Mar 2015, 19:21

With the right approach and PR any GB can be a success. Hyperfuse sold over 600 sets but you need to have a good design, good organization and with community support anything can be achieved.

SL89

26 Mar 2015, 19:31

Yes but wouldn't it be harder to sell that many kits plus the minimum for the kits?

Halvar

26 Mar 2015, 20:51

Massdrop isn't very popular or widely known in Europe though. We would need a European Massdrop to boost sales here in the way Massdrop can in the US.

I'm sure the Samwer brothers are already working on a clone... :roll:

Return to “Group buys”