Mx springs identify

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 00:38

So! Im currently venturing into mx swicthing past the standard stuff(brown,blue.black?) And ive been given some springs and stems, and i need help identifying them since im going to buy more mx switches types for testing. Regarding the pic, the bottom 2 springs are from my g80-3000 linear blacks the other two types above i don't know, also how do you separate the clears from white versions?. Regarding the types i've tested, i did like the browns for work and the blues at home, so, since i like tactile switches and also clicky i was wondering about the other types...there's many, so 7bit will have some orders soon :D .
Attachments
switches
switches
IMG_20140710_002805.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

11 Jul 2014, 00:46

Left is from the clear/white switch and the springs to the right is from the blue/brown switches.

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 00:56

Really? I tried the right ones with the blue stem but it didn't seem to click much compared to a full blue switch keyboard i tried....hummm.....im also considering buying one of these KBT/KBC Pker/Pure/Race keyboards with plate mounted switches to test the switches (and use of course :P), but i don't know which one is the better regarding quality/price relation.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

11 Jul 2014, 01:25

How much it clicks has nothing to do with the spring, at least not in MX switches and not something I can notice (I have both an MX Green and an MX Blue in my keyboard).
The difference between how a switch behaves when mounted in a keyboard and when simply held in hand is also very different, so that is why the switch seems to make less noise than your keyboard with blues.

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 02:11

How are the greens compared to the blues?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

11 Jul 2014, 09:10

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 11:51

Thanks, now in another related question, what is a good compact keyboard plate mounted, is the poker 2 any good, i've read these vertex keyboards are not very moddable...

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

11 Jul 2014, 12:00

Poker 2 is Ok, I find Poker X the older version better, the layout is smarter. Is not plate mounted and I don't find that to be a problem, you can always fit a plate, one with cutouts so you can access the switches (which is not possible with the stock Poker 2 plate).
Poker 2 is somewhat programmable, but not in the true way.

My advice would be to go and join the mini GB for faceU PCB, grab also a plate in the same GB, for the case I've saw some rumors that one will be available, but you can find also some aluminum cases or cut an acrylic one (the CAD files are available, I can give you the link).
The faceU PCB is fully programmable, and you have a lot of layout options, and is cheap ;)

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 12:12

Yeah, scottc also talked about that group buy, my fear is that my soldering capabilities wont be enough, i only soldered/desoldered alps switches, not controllers or anything like it...

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

11 Jul 2014, 12:22

That PCB has all the small bits soldered, you only have to solder switches, and that is a nobrainer. The controller is soldered, diodes, all the stuff that is complicated is there.
Trust me for that price is worth buying one :) I have 2 Poker X keyboards, they are ok but far from perfect, I want to be able to program it the way I want, and that's faceU :)

Return to “Marketplace Help”