Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

chzel

14 Apr 2015, 23:07

Gatlank wrote: Hi.
I've found two Cherry G84-4100 with us layout. Some keys have a little bit of dirt but i wanted a compact keyboard for some time and the seller is asking for 10€ each.
Is it worth it?
I'd say it is worth it, unless they are in really bad condition. ML switches divide people a lot, I don't have an opinion yet, mine is in the mail!

scottc

14 Apr 2015, 23:19

10 euro isn't bad if they're US layout. I got a DE layout 4400 with a mini trackball for 5 euro, but it was used. What's the full model number? If it has nice caps (dyesub or something) then it's definitely worth it.

Gatlank

15 Apr 2015, 00:27

chzel wrote: I'd say it is worth it, unless they are in really bad condition. ML switches divide people a lot, I don't have an opinion yet, mine is in the mail!
I guess if i scrub the dirt they will look brand new and they seem to be in good shape. Since i dont know much about the ML switches i didn't bought them at the time.
scottc wrote: 10 euro isn't bad if they're US layout. I got a DE layout 4400 with a mini trackball for 5 euro, but it was used. What's the full model number? If it has nice caps (dyesub or something) then it's definitely worth it.
I just gave them a quick look since i wasn't on the hunt for that kind of keyboard but the windows key was absent so maybe the older models.

davkol

15 Apr 2015, 00:58

Black color and L in the code generally implies POM with infilled legends. White can be either dyesub (S), or pad-printed (P)—even the latter was already common on winkeyless G84s in mid 90's. I don't think there are any other options.
scottc wrote: I'm not sure if this aligns well with other people, but for me, MX blacks aren't worth much [1]. You can get a G80-1800 full of them from Germany for less than 5 euro + whatever cost to ship to you from a German friend, then just desolder them. That's something like 10 - 15 euro shipped outside of Germany, so I'd say that yours are worth maybe 20 euro since the buyer wouldn't have to desolder anything. The LEDs are a nice addition, but they're also really cheap to get from eBay or Chinese sites like aliexpress etc.

[1] Disclaimer: They're still my favourite MX switch, just very easy to get a hold of.
Thanks. I kinda expected that. To Reddit! ^_^

scottc

15 Apr 2015, 01:19

No problem. Sorry it wasn't better news! I imagine the US-based guys over on Reddit would be more interested since there are far fewer Cherry Corp boards floating around that part of the world.

lolpes

15 Apr 2015, 14:33

hey guys, i'm asking for price check on a NCR g81-3007 NAS /01 that e found the other day, seems pretty clean and functional :)

HzFaq

15 Apr 2015, 14:40

SAP would suggest dyesub Portuguese caps (can't tell, photos are too grainy and the NCR colourway is a little different to the standard Cherry one)...

I'd echo Ivans thoughts on the last semi-rare colourway PT board that was posted on the previous page. Yours might go a little higher as its dyesub...I'm not sure, Photekq will be along shortly to correct me :D.
IvanIvanovich wrote: I'll say around €150-170. While it's a rare board in Portuguese that layout historically are harder sell than most other layouts. I suppose they have very limited appeal to non-Portuguese.
Keep it and stick a G80 PCB in there, it's a really nice case and set of caps, let down by the dogturd MY switches.

lolpes

15 Apr 2015, 14:46

btw sorry for the timestamp having @gh in there :/ will change it when i get home; I was looking to sell it for a lower price than what you quoted, as i have 2 of these i don't mind letting one go for a lower price :)

Zylkan

15 Apr 2015, 15:57

semi-rare colourway PT board that was posted on the previous page
Semi-rare you say? While I may not be as knowledgeable and experienced on the subject as many here I dare you to find another one like it nowadays, specially in that condition.

BTW don't forget that that Olivetti is dyesubs as well.

In the end, people come here for a value estimate based on the increased knowledge and experience of those who give the estimate, which is of course invaluable. But ultimately, the value of something is the value the potential buyer gives to it and consequently is willing to pay for. The buyer gives value to the object, not the other way around.

In other words: things don't have value, people do!

So of course it all comes down to how important said keyboard is for the interested parties. From what I've seen here in Portugal things like these don't fall from the skies anymore although I'm sure they did maybe 10 years ago (Although I'm not sure if that was true for dyesub Olivettis even back then...).
Therefore for me, being Portuguese, having a baby like this in PT layout would very much interest me. For non-pt users I wouldn't know - surely it would be just another expensive nail on the wall... :lol:

HzFaq

15 Apr 2015, 16:20

My bad, I didn't notice the Olivetti were dyesub. So yeah, probably about the same as those would be about right.

And of course it's dependant on the buyer/seller how much something is worth, but that isn't a helpful answer in a price check thread :D. If nothing else, the prices given are a starting point for a negotiation.

It seems that there has been an increase in PT layout vintage Cherry boards popping up recently...it's probably just me noticing them more because I have one now though :D.

Zylkan

15 Apr 2015, 16:26

Absolutely HzFaq sorry about that, I was just trying to make my point. Or maybe I'm just jealous... :P

Don't mind the rant! Carry on fellow mortals, carry on!

lolpes

15 Apr 2015, 16:28

I manage to get that one from a military warehouse i visited recently :D and where i work, there is a little museum dedicated to old computers and keyboards, maybe i'll take some pictures and give a tour here on DT ;) also there are multiple vintage cherry and ibm keyboards in the workplace, saddly i can't take none of them home :(

HzFaq

15 Apr 2015, 16:30

No need to apologise, we're just having a chat :D.

Anthing to keep me from doing any work :evilgeek:.

@lolpes, shame you can't take any home. Pictures are the next best thing though ;).

lolpes

15 Apr 2015, 16:32

later tonight maybe i'll make the post on the media section ;) just a tease for now :)

IvanIvanovich

16 Apr 2015, 19:55

Right, I would say that NCR about the same as I quoted on the Olivetti Portuguese board. That NCR is a very nice and fairly rare model, with the same 'con' that it's in Portuguese which doesn't seem to get the same kind of favor from collectors as other layouts. Quite attractive for Portuguese user though, as it is certainly not everyday such nice boards appear with the layout. As usual you can always start high and add OBO and let the buyers tell you especially if you are not in a rush to sell. It's what I always do when selling rarer things myself.

scottc

16 Apr 2015, 19:58

I'd say that the NCR is worth a reasonable amount more by virtue of having dyesub caps vs. doubleshots.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2015, 20:36

scottc wrote: I'd say that the NCR is worth a reasonable amount more by virtue of having dyesub caps vs. doubleshots.
The Olivetti has dyesubs too.. ;)

scottc

16 Apr 2015, 20:38

Oh! I thought it had doubleshots for some reason. Probably thinking of a different thread. :D

HzFaq

16 Apr 2015, 20:38

I did the same thing :D.

IvanIvanovich

16 Apr 2015, 21:16

Collectors market can be tough with some things. Just because something is on the rare side doesn't automatically make it high value. Sure, some 'minority' language layouts are in very high demand for whatever reason, but others really are not and will get almost no notice. Now... if that NCR dyesub board was US ANSI... then I would guess it could take $400 or more.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2015, 21:32

IvanIvanovich wrote: Now... if that NCR dyesub board was US ANSI... then I would guess it could take $400 or more.
3077s with ANSI dyesubs sell for about $250 in pristine condition, and that's including the NCR casing.

HzFaq

16 Apr 2015, 21:33

As little as that? I would've thought they would be double...

IvanIvanovich

16 Apr 2015, 22:49

US ANSI Cherry dyesub sets used to go for those really high prices. I suppose less people are that insane now days that you can get 98% identical sets from current production sources for under $130.

HzFaq

16 Apr 2015, 22:56

I guess the days of $500 keysets have gone the way of the $250 Esc keys :D.

edit - lol
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36 ... #msg687916

scottc

16 Apr 2015, 23:07

That's amazing. I got a GMK one for like 2 euro recently. :mrgreen:

HzFaq

16 Apr 2015, 23:10

That's wasn't the first either, there was one a few months before that went for around the same. I think it must've been about 6 months or so before EK started selling them.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2015, 23:13

IvanIvanovich wrote: US ANSI Cherry dyesub sets used to go for those really high prices. I suppose less people are that insane now days that you can get 98% identical sets from current production sources for under $130.
Yeah, non-NCR ones still do. $500 is the going rate for NIB.

NCR ones go for much less because they're common as hell in China, and people seem to like the dark grey legends less than the black ones.

HzFaq

16 Apr 2015, 23:14

photekq wrote:
IvanIvanovich wrote: US ANSI Cherry dyesub sets used to go for those really high prices. I suppose less people are that insane now days that you can get 98% identical sets from current production sources for under $130.
Yeah, non-NCR ones still do. $500 is the going rate for NIB.

NCR ones go for much less because they're common as hell in China, and people seem to like the dark grey legends less than the black ones.
Ah, I didn't realise the NCR ones were more common than the standard Cherry ones.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2015, 23:15

Only in China. And since most of the people that will spend $500 on regular dyesubs are Chinese.. Yeah, you see where I'm going.. :lol:

davkol

18 Apr 2015, 13:02

How much is a set of nixdorf blacks worth nowadays (i.e., after the Gateron GB)?

Return to “Marketplace Help”