Alps Tai Hao keyset interest check?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Mar 2016, 14:27

Not sure where to put this, so i'll take a stab at the help section.

I am sure you all remember the set of Tai Hao caps on massdrop a while ago that included dolch, white on black, and olivette options.

My question is, what needs to happen to get another drop in a different color scheme? They already have all the mold needed right? So would it be very hard for them to make a keyset like this:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1170

But in alps? I know the Cherry userbase is far larger than that of alps, but how much would it take from the community to make another round of alps caps? I remember last time there was the set of alps caps someone had to buy like 500 sets or something to keep the drop active.

I do like the quality of my Tai Hao caps right now, but some future options would be very comforting.

So far users have stated that they would like the following in a future alps keyset. This list will be updated as the thread progresses.

ISO compatibility
7u bottom row
1.5 modifiers
Smaller possible spacebar size
Blank keys
Last edited by Redmaus on 22 Mar 2016, 02:05, edited 2 times in total.

E3E

21 Mar 2016, 23:45

I heard the MQO of TaiHao caps is pretty high, pretty much GMK level or exceeding that even at 500 MQO as you've stated. Itzmeluigi would have more info on this as he's looked into it.

If they could produce an all-encompassing set with a 7u bottom row and short right shift and so on, then I'd definitely be in. I don't see us getting to 500 sets though. I think we need even more for sets with alternate legends.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Mar 2016, 00:09

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 00:48

seebart I know how to contact Tai Hao that isn't the problem :lol:

I want to know if anyone else is interested. I don't think they will make one set just for me. :roll:

I want to actually know if anyone else cares. We really don't know how many alps users are out there. The amount of Cherry users is large so there are many different variations of keysets and artisans. There is a possibility that the amount of alps users has increased since the blue alps craze. More importantly, the amount of users could have increased since the last batch of Tai Hao caps.

seebart

22 Mar 2016, 00:51

Redmaus wrote: seebart I know how to contact Tai Hao that isn't the problem :lol:
I know you know, I just wanted to "throw it out there". :maverick:
Redmaus wrote: I want to know if anyone else is interested. I don't think they will make one set just for me. :roll:

I want to actually know if anyone else cares. We really don't know how many alps users are out there. The amount of Cherry users is large so there are many different variations of keysets and artisans. There is a possibility that the amount of alps users has increased since the blue alps craze. More importantly, the amount of users could have increased since the last batch of Tai Hao caps.
Then you should call this thread:"Interest check GB Tai Hao Alps keycaps" or something like that!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 00:56

Yeah I went ahead and changed it that's a better title. I never do group buys and I wasn't sure which option to pick considering there is no "interest check" option in the topic selection.

I was trying to voice my concerns about the smaller and less influential alps community compared to the huge Cherry community I guess.

seebart

22 Mar 2016, 01:04

I think we have a pretty sizable Alps community by now, there might be enough interest for a GB.

infodroid

22 Mar 2016, 01:22

I like Alps. But I have not been a huge fan of Tai Hao, even though they seem to be one of the only two Alps keycap manufacturers around. I am very grateful that they have some sensible colours for all three of their Alps keysets, even if they are a tad boring. In contrast I find the colours on their Cherry MX keycaps too loud and flashy for my taste. I would certainly be interested in a group buy. I have many ideas. Here is one: I was just thinking the other day it would be nice to have some Alps CMYK modifiers for the Dolch set.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 01:31

Should I create similar threads on reddit and GH?

E3E

22 Mar 2016, 01:33

Redmaus wrote: Should I create similar threads on reddit and GH?
There's no way you'll drum up enough momentum and hype for it unless you promote the hell out of the idea. Put it in your signature too, at least on GH. I don't think we have signatures here on DT, do we?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Mar 2016, 01:47

No and lets keep it that way

Hak Foo

22 Mar 2016, 01:59

I bought MX Tai-Hao caps through a GH group-buy and the Alps ones through Massdrop.

One thing the MX group-buy did right was that they did a deluxe set with 1.5x modifiers, a couple blanks, an ISO enter, and a smaller space bar, designed to somewhat accomodate vintage and European boards.

This would have been HUGE for the Alps buy. A lot of ALPS boards (even the newer Matias ones) have 1.5x mods. I'd have paid an extra $5-10 per set for that.

E3E

22 Mar 2016, 02:28

Yeah, clearly the caps were aimed more at the modern Alps clone boards and not so much the vintages, but it would've been nice if they did include the non-standard bottom row at least. I mean, for ages in the 80s, they produced a ton of key cap sets for all sorts of layouts.

Return to “Marketplace Help”