Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 23:57

I never thought of that. That would be really shocking. I hope they're not planning on packing it in...

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2015, 01:07

If I were modifying that board, I'd add extra mods flush either side of a smaller spacebar. It'd be much more usable then. Bigass Enter is indeed best solved with splitting it into either an ISO or ANSI Return and an extra key snug beside it; either 1u or 1.5u depending on which way you go.

Usually Bigass bothers me in the other direction: I'm eyeing caps to harvest. It's a different problem space when actually converting the keyboard instead. Depends on how invasive you want to go, of course.

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2015, 03:33

if a 107 is trying to sell for 240$ (post here) how much are worth the

the 50 keys ?
the 62 keys ?
and the 77 keys ?

Let's assume that they are in good condition and come without a xwhatsit

A range, indication, idea, whatever will help :-)

Thanks in advance

scottc

16 Jan 2015, 09:01

Did you find some...?

I wouldn't take that thread as an indicator. The prices are very high.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

16 Jan 2015, 10:05

I'd take a 62 keys idollar. :D

scottc

16 Jan 2015, 10:06

Yeah, me too. And a 77, while you're at it...

idollar
i$

16 Jan 2015, 11:10

Hi,

This was a false alarm :-(

A Spanish recycler listed a stock of 16*62 keys, 36*50 keys and 34*77 keys !!

I call them this morning to check if this was true. They told me that their inventory list in the web is obsolete and the keyboards are not with them anymore. I explained that I would be interested in any "old IBM keyboard" that they may find. They promised to keep an eye and keep me posted. Their main business is linked with banks, we may be lucky.

I will keep tracking the Spanish market. Who knows ... you may start linking keyboards with "ñ" instead of single quote :-)

i$
Last edited by idollar on 16 Jan 2015, 11:51, edited 5 times in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

16 Jan 2015, 11:13

:shock:

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

16 Jan 2015, 21:23

Muirium wrote: If I were modifying that board, I'd add extra mods flush either side of a smaller spacebar. It'd be much more usable then. Bigass Enter is indeed best solved with splitting it into either an ISO or ANSI Return and an extra key snug beside it; either 1u or 1.5u depending on which way you go.

Usually Bigass bothers me in the other direction: I'm eyeing caps to harvest. It's a different problem space when actually converting the keyboard instead. Depends on how invasive you want to go, of course.
The most modification I'd prefer to would be to decorate with SA caps (if removal of vintage dirt doesn't count as a mod).

I'll wait to hear from rsbseb before I get any more ideas :)

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2015, 22:51

Fair enough, Facet. I haven't tried a modding job that involves cutting the plate either. But that bigass enter would bother me and catalyse ideas…
idollar wrote: Hi,

This was a false alarm :-(

A Spanish recycler listed a stock of 16*62 keys, 36*50 keys and 34*77 keys !!

I call them this morning to check if this was true. They told me that their inventory list in the web is obsolete and the keyboards are not with them anymore. I explained that I would be interested in any "old IBM keyboard" that they may find. They promised to keep an eye and keep me posted. Their main business is linked with banks, we may be lucky.

I will keep tracking the Spanish market. Who knows ... you may start linking keyboards with "ñ" instead of single quote :-)

i$
Thanks anyway. As for their respect values: I'd say over a hundred bucks for the 62, 77 and 107 in essentially any condition. The 77 is currently the rarest so the most expensive. The 62 is the most awesome, full stop. Cindy had quite a few 107s in great shape, I think she was (under) selling them for $75 and they all got snatched good and quick.

The 50 keys are the odd one out. More of a numpad than a keyboard. Lower value and less demand. You'd still find many takers, though. Just not the typical Kishy mayhem!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

17 Jan 2015, 00:01

Muirium wrote: Fair enough, Facet. I haven't tried a modding job that involves cutting the plate either. But that bigass enter would bother me and catalyse ideas…
I'm actually not pushing a preservationist approach, just trying to stop my thoughts (for now?) as the overriding one is a paranoia that a change of plans has taken place and the keyboard has met an unspeakable end. :oops:

As much as I'd like to get it, I can't afford to lose sleep over it, be it right now by planning its new layout and matching up the keys, or later as a result of getting too attached too early on in the process. :shock:

So if it all works out, then we'll see about how best we can shorten that left shift and glue spacebars together! :lol:

idollar
i$

17 Jan 2015, 01:30

Muirium wrote: Thanks anyway. As for their respect values: I'd say over a hundred bucks for the 62, 77 and 107 in essentially any condition. The 77 is currently the rarest so the most expensive. The 62 is the most awesome, full stop. Cindy had quite a few 107s in great shape, I think she was (under) selling them for $75 and they all got snatched good and quick.

The 50 keys are the odd one out. More of a numpad than a keyboard. Lower value and less demand. You'd still find many takers, though. Just not the typical Kishy mayhem!
That's more or less what I was expecting.
The main difference in this case is that they would be in Europe, which reduces the shipping price for the Europeans.

They will keep an eye on their pallets for me. In return I promised to pay them a coffee next time that I fly south :-)
Lets see what happens.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

17 Jan 2015, 08:12

Sent you a reply facetsesame

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

17 Jan 2015, 09:19

Anticube

17 Jan 2015, 22:44

Hello everyone, in a local vintage shop i found a complete ibm 6580 with monitor, floppy, and this keyboard:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Displaywriter.jpg
thay ask for 200€, (nearly 230$) for everything, condition seems fine but still don't to know if it works.
What do you think? is it worth?

photekq
Cherry Picker

17 Jan 2015, 22:50

It's worth something, I'm not sure about 200EUR..

idollar
i$

18 Jan 2015, 02:24

Anticube wrote: Hello everyone, in a local vintage shop i found a complete ibm 6580 with monitor, floppy, and this keyboard:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Displaywriter.jpg
thay ask for 200€, (nearly 230$) for everything, condition seems fine but still don't to know if it works.
What do you think? is it worth?
Does this help ?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/TECLADO-DE-ORDEN ... 5b01d69fe9

The listing is in ebay since more than a month now

scottc

18 Jan 2015, 02:32

It's still not worth 200 euro, imo. You can get beam springs for a much more reasonable price with a bit of patience and luck. Mine was about 90 euro shipped from Germany.

snarfarlarkus

18 Jan 2015, 03:04

Hello all! I have a bolt modded mint condition IBM Model M 1390131 with the rare green lettering alt and sysrQ caps. It was bought brand new for $429 + shipping around Halloween 2014. I love this thing to death but I want to try something different! I just want to know how much its roughly worth. Thank you guys!

chzel

18 Jan 2015, 03:14

I am sorry, but if the price you wrote isn't a typo, I believe you overpaid for it.
Also most M's have green Alt and SysRq legends.
I can't really suggest a price but I believe it should be about 1/6th the price you wrote, depending on condition!

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 Jan 2015, 03:16

I don't think the price is too crazy. It's a beautiful square-logoed '87 model that's (practically) new in box. It's also expertly bolt modded.

I think the prices 1avidcollector charges are a little high, but they're not ridiculous.

Bearing that in mind, I think somewhere around $300-350 would be fair, since it has been used.

snarfarlarkus

18 Jan 2015, 03:25

The price I listed is not a typo, you can check the feedback to see the transaction. Yeah it has the metal square IBM logo on the top right of the keyboard and is near new. No paint chips, no missing keycaps and all keys work flawlessly on Aquakey test. Yeah 1avidcollector does charge quite a bit but the condition of the keyboard is definitely second to none. And really photekq? I thought around the same. Do you think I could sell it for at least $300? Shipping with the box may be a bit pricey as the foam is quite thick and large.

chzel

18 Jan 2015, 03:28

I didn't know which keyboard you were referring to, but photekq apparently did! :shock:
I would never have guessed that 430$ is a fair price for a Model M.

Just out of curiosity, what would someone charge for a bolt-mod?

snarfarlarkus

18 Jan 2015, 03:34

He's selling an SSK in the original box with bolt mod for I believe $579 IIRC?

And as for the price of a bolt mod, I am unsure. There a different ways people bolt mod, some lasting longer than others due to different materials used, etc. 1avidcollectors expert bolt mods are known to last and are very professionally done. I'm unsure if you can send in your Model M for a bolt mod, sorry.

chzel

18 Jan 2015, 03:56

I am not interested in sending one for a bolt mod, I am just curious how much it would cost.
Rarity is one thing, but a bolt-mod is not rocket science and should not command such a premium.
Since I received yesterday an SSK NIB for 150$+shipping, can I bolt-mod it, add a USB cable from orihalcon and make ~$400 profit? Sounds reasonable? Not to me...

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 Jan 2015, 03:57

If you ship without the box, the price drops by about $100-150 :lol:

I would think so, yes. Some might say a little high, but I think $300 is fair.

chzel, the key thing is that the $150 price you paid is very, very reasonable to say the least. It's not the bolt mod that instantly makes it worth $400 more, it's a combination of the two.

snarfarlarkus

18 Jan 2015, 04:02

You got an SSK NIB for $150? Wow. They usually go for a lot more on ebay or even the classifieds. And really? Ahh that sucks. I may just trade it for a realforce topre or another topre. Do you think that'll be a fair trade?

And chzel, try bolt modding an IBM. It sure is harder than it looks.

chzel

18 Jan 2015, 04:12

Well, we love Cindy for a reason!

I have already bolt-modded one. If you don't have much experience with tools it is a daunting task, that's for sure.
Bolt modding basically is "cut the rivet-drill a hole-screw/bolt it". Just many times over and over.
Unless you get a cracked barrel frame! Then you need to get creative!

Anticube

18 Jan 2015, 08:05

Thank you photoekq, idollar, scottc. I appreciate your help. In fact i think that would be hard and pointless to make it usable on new pc, so it's only an old piece of metal, just my found has more hardware than spanish ebay's. I'll ask for lower price...
But probably I'll better wait if I'll be honored of a Cindy's lady (chzel, nice your ssk photo on dt banner soon after arrival)

Lunatique

18 Jan 2015, 21:36

If I were to sell the black dye-sub keycap set that came with my RealForce 87U (which is only a few weeks old), how much should it be priced at?

Topre RealForce keycap sets are notoriously expensive, and since the RealForce black dye-sub keycaps are not even a product that's being sold and only comes with the black version of the keyboard, how would I price it?

Return to “Marketplace Help”