Buy MX removal tool

maxrunner

08 Jul 2014, 15:39

So i was wondering if there's already any good tool to open mx switches, and where to buy.

regards,

scottc

08 Jul 2014, 15:45

I just do it with two small screwdrivers.

maxrunner

08 Jul 2014, 15:47

Even without removing the switches? i assume this only works on pcb mounted and not on plate mounted?

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

08 Jul 2014, 15:54

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/i-di ... t2458.html
I made a paper binder/clip tool, like the one described in the above link. It works like a charm and is dirt cheap ;) It takes around 10min to make one, and after 4-5 switches you get enough practice and opening switches becomes a joke :P
It works on PCB mounted and on Plate Mounted (if the plate has cutouts, if it doesn't there is no tool in the world to help you) .

maxrunner

08 Jul 2014, 16:44

Hey thanks! Let me check it out.

scottc

08 Jul 2014, 17:09

maxrunner wrote: Even without removing the switches? i assume this only works on pcb mounted and not on plate mounted?
Only on PCB mounted switches. You just remove the top half of the switch. The bottom half remains soldered to the PCB. I actually learned from the tutorial DanielT linked, I was just too lazy to look for it (thanks!) :P

I don't think you can open plate-mounted switches without de-soldering them all. If you have a plate with cutouts for switch opening then maybe, but I've never tried it.

DanielT

08 Jul 2014, 17:22

I have done it, it works but only if it has cutouts. The paper clip tool is perfect. I opened 102 switches in 30 min :D

CeeSA

08 Jul 2014, 17:30

I would prefer tweezers like this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinzette-nach-Me ... 4ad3ca0ddd

Easier to grip for me.

maxrunner

08 Jul 2014, 17:52

I haven't had a single plate mounted cherry keyboard, im actually thinking of getting one, and i do like compact keyboards. Need to order switches from 7bit to test all variations, i only know the basic ones, blue, brown and blacks...

scottc

08 Jul 2014, 17:58

I think that the plate can make a big difference. Keycap material too. I didn't like MX blues with thin ABS Tai Hao doubleshots, but I now have a thick Cherry PBT set on the same keyboard and really enjoy it. It's too difficult to figure out if you'd like a keyboard of some switches from a single switch!

maxrunner

08 Jul 2014, 19:07

Yeah i do need to find a good compact so one with plate mounted switches.

scottc

08 Jul 2014, 21:05

Can you solder? Tinnie has a group buy on right now for a 60% PCB + plate, and it's pretty cheap and very customisable.

mashby

08 Jul 2014, 23:11

The_Beast has made tools for this in aluminum and is currently making them in Titanium. I don't know that they work any better than the paper clips mentioned by DanielT, but there is a specific tool if you're looking for one.

alinh

08 Jul 2014, 23:24

I can confirm that the paperclip method works great

maxrunner

09 Jul 2014, 01:32

scottc wrote: Can you solder? Tinnie has a group buy on right now for a 60% PCB + plate, and it's pretty cheap and very customisable.
Yeah i can do basic solder. Like swapping switches, but i have only done with alps ones. Let me check on that.

scottc

09 Jul 2014, 01:52

All you need for the GB is to solder on switches and you're ready to go. http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/f ... ml#p172261 You'll have to source a poker-compatible case somewhere too.

I believe we've gotten a bit off-topic!

maxrunner

09 Jul 2014, 16:07

Yep we did, lol. Regarding the mx opener tool, i didnt find 15mm paper binder clips, only 19mm but with a little work they might also work. Ill get back when i spend some time with them.

maxrunner

10 Jul 2014, 13:30

Bought the 19mm key binder clips and i managed to make them work but i think they're still not optimal.

DanielT

10 Jul 2014, 13:40

I have used also 19mm, what I did was to flatten the ends just a little with a hammer, this way it fits better in the openings. It takes a little to bend them to be just right, but in the end is good cheap tool.

maxrunner

11 Jul 2014, 12:10

Yeah, i think ill spend more time with these bought a box with 10 or more just for this lol

Return to “Marketplace Help”