I've come to repent my BS sins

dzhoou

16 Jan 2015, 06:29

Here's my buckling spring horror of the day. I've received a Lexmark M (and a Modome M and a bunch of other domes), all was good... Until I was too curious to not do a spring swap. When I was taking off a spring using a kebab stick, the hammer nub won't let go, and the spring went through some gruesome deformation.

Then, I decided to take a spring from the PF13 of my Model F 122 to fix my M, and what could possibly go wrong, the F spring worked seamlessly on the Lexmark M. Until I decided to pop out the key stem once more... and when I did, the spring flew off and rolled itself into the innards. As I don't have a socket screwdriver, I held the M and shook it furiously like there's no tomorrow, but the spring rang and rang inside the shell and refused to come out.

I've sent a message to ClickyKB for a springs shipping quote to Canada and don't know if they will reply. If you have a couple of spare springs, feel free to contact me with p+s :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Jan 2015, 08:03

I held the M and shook it furiously like there's no tomorrow
:o :roll:

well the only "sin" I can see is your slightly unorthodox repair methods. It's not the end of the world, but get a 5.5mm / 7/32" screwdriver and do it "the right way" next time!

keiwop

16 Jan 2015, 10:54

dzhoou wrote: As I don't have a socket screwdriver
I've bought this kind of screwdriver kit on ebay, it contains the 5.5 hex screwdriver for the model M.
Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/7Pcs-Hex-Screw- ... 2c8530213a

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Jan 2015, 14:47

keiwop wrote:
I've bought this kind of screwdriver kit on ebay, it contains the 5.5 hex screwdriver for the model M.
That may not work. The socket needs to be "long" and "thin-walled" to fit the narrow well that it goes down into.

shreebles
Finally 60%

16 Jan 2015, 16:23

fohat wrote:
keiwop wrote:
That may not work. The socket needs to be "long" and "thin-walled" to fit the narrow well that it goes down into.
I have an almost identical looking hex driver, same exact shape only the handle is red. It works fine. 8-)

Halvar

16 Jan 2015, 16:24

I have the same model, too, with a pink handle. :geek:

Touch_It

16 Jan 2015, 17:24

FWIW only the M spring is broke but the F sounds like its ok. M springs are still made and abundant so we forgive you :D lol. You could also contact Unicomp and buy springs from them. IDK about shipping but i think the spring and hammer are 20 cents each. You could buy a few extra if shipping isn't exorbitant. If you get lucky maybe someone in Canada has one they could ship.

On the hex screwdriver I found one for a few bucks at Menards. Maybe there is one close to you. Maybe I'm old fashioned in this sense but I like to buy stuff in stores rather than online when at all possible. Also I really don't like eBay. Don't know why, but I don't even have an account.

dzhoou

17 Jan 2015, 08:32

Thanks for the responses. For now I have a Pause and a PF13 sitting flat on the M and F respectively :S

ClickyKB responded and said they can send me some springs as long as I have "friends at the border" and could send them a self-stamped padded mail, which I most likely can't do, so I'm checking if I can just send over some postage for the springs.

Unicomp customer service on the other hand... they won't sell individual springs without the plate, and the worst part, they ask me to use their postage calculator for sending springs , which showed a result of over 30 USD... bahahahah...

Return to “Marketplace Help”