Razer Blackwidow Key Replacement

chimps

20 Feb 2015, 22:32

So I have the 2014 Razer Blackwidow with green switches. I noticed that my r key was acting up, so I popped up the key and noticed a very small part of the switch (I assume it's part of the switch, as it has that green color) was chipped off. I realized that I should probably replace the switch, but I have no idea where to start. Will it be easy replacing just one switch, and where can I get the switch?

Thanks for answers in advance.

PS: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I didn't know where to post this.

andrewjoy

20 Feb 2015, 23:04

i could sell you the original black widow ultimate if you like :)

you can buy single switches from 7 bit

chimps

21 Feb 2015, 00:24

no thanks, I'm fine with my current keyboard, thanks though lol.

can you send me a link to that website?

Mal-2

21 Feb 2015, 02:21

chimps wrote: So I have the 2014 Razer Blackwidow with green switches... Will it be easy replacing just one switch, and where can I get the switch?
They're Kailh greens, and supposedly a knockoff of Cherry MX Blue. Cherry Blue switches are not difficult at all to locate, on this forum or in general, so if worse comes to worse you could always swap in one of the real thing.

Ace
§

21 Feb 2015, 05:34

Mal-2 wrote:
chimps wrote: So I have the 2014 Razer Blackwidow with green switches... Will it be easy replacing just one switch, and where can I get the switch?
They're Kailh greens, and supposedly a knockoff of Cherry MX Blue. Cherry Blue switches are not difficult at all to locate, on this forum or in general, so if worse comes to worse you could always swap in one of the real thing.
I really don't want to get into the same argument here that I face in the YouTube comment section, but I can assure you that those switches are of a superior feel as compared to regular Kailh switches. Razer still takes pride (I assume?) in maintaining a certain level of quality. Still, they're amongst the last switches on the planet that I would use. But hey, if that's your preference, then don't let me stop you :)

Mal-2

21 Feb 2015, 07:56

AbuBakr Akram wrote: I really don't want to get into the same argument here that I face in the YouTube comment section, but I can assure you that those switches are of a superior feel as compared to regular Kailh switches. Razer still takes pride (I assume?) in maintaining a certain level of quality. Still, they're amongst the last switches on the planet that I would use. But hey, if that's your preference, then don't let me stop you :)
Where did I say, or even imply, that there was anything wrong with them? In fact, I implied that they are similar enough to actual MX Blues that he might well be able to hide a real MX Blue amongst the lot of them and not know the difference.

And Razer maintaining a certain level of quality? I have had the misfortune of owning a Deathadder -- an overweighted, overrated, overpriced complete piece of crap. The scroll wheel quit working because the stem that goes into the rotary encoder was TOO SMALL and it would spin freely. This wasn't wear and tear, it was MADE THAT WAY. I managed to revive it twice by wrapping said stem in Teflon plumber's tape, but that only lasted a few months. In retrospect, I should have painted it in nail polish repeatedly until it fit snugly. But I didn't, thus had to open it repeatedly because of THEIR design flaw, and the ribbon cable between the two circuit boards decided to break off at the lower board. I haven't gotten around to replacing it.

Fortunately I didn't BUY the mouse, it was given to me after a relative's bird ate the cord. He knew I could replace it, but didn't feel like waiting and bought another one. It still doesn't give me a very high opinion of "Razer quality". The Green switches on the Blackwidow may be great, but the whole thing is still built by Razer. I damn near bought one. I'm glad I waited.

andrewjoy

21 Feb 2015, 14:05

chimps wrote: no thanks, I'm fine with my current keyboard, thanks though lol.

can you send me a link to that website?
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/c ... t%20switch

Stabilized

21 Feb 2015, 14:23

Just making sure that you understand that you will have to desolder the switch and the LED, and resolder in the replacement switch with the LED afterwards.
Shouldn't be a big thing, but you will be voiding your warranty, which I assume has already elapsed if you're considering replacing it yourself.

Cherry blue switch should be the same, but you might want to replace the new switch with the old spring to make it feel more uniform.
Good luck! :D

Return to “Marketplace Help”