[EU-NL][H] Sun Microsystems Type 5c [W] Free!

maxmalkav
dye hard

06 Nov 2022, 17:15

Already donated

I rescued this keyboard from an office cleaning. It needs a bit of cleaning, but it is not terribly dirty.

Giving it away for free, you just cover the shipping costs. I am located in The Netherlands.

Last edited by maxmalkav on 07 Nov 2022, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

06 Nov 2022, 17:49

The top case needs retr0brighting, but if you do it it will become one of the most beautiful keyboards ever made, IMHO. (I already have one)

ZeFritz

06 Nov 2022, 20:13

Looks very nice and beautiful.
I’m looking for one. But, why, oh, why can’t it be an ISO one… even given you find the right keycaps, you can’t make it into a proper QWERTZ keyboard. So I’ll pass.

headphone_jack

06 Nov 2022, 20:23

Which switches does this have? There are quite a few variants. Beautiful board!

Findecanor

06 Nov 2022, 20:38

I think the switches should be mushy Fujitsu rubber domes. Are there really any other types in the Type 5 series?
I know there have been at least one clone/replacement keyboard, and then there's the TKL version made by Key Tronic, but neither is a real Type 5.

If you want comfortable Fujitsu domes, get a Sun Type 7. But those don't have the same high-quality keycaps as the Type 5/5c.

headphone_jack

06 Nov 2022, 22:04

There's an MX black version (although this might be a clone), a peerless version, and I believe there's even been a 4th gen FLS version documented.

maxmalkav
dye hard

07 Nov 2022, 14:16

Findecanor wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 17:49
The top case needs retr0brighting, but if you do it it will become one of the most beautiful keyboards ever made, IMHO. (I already have one)
It is indeed beautiful, but the typing feel is not my cup of tea (I am more on the clicky side of things), I decided that someone will probably enjoy it much more than me.
headphone_jack wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 20:23
Which switches does this have? There are quite a few variants. Beautiful board!
I think Findecanor gave the right answer: Fujitsu rubber domes (or something similar). Soft but not the worst membrane keyboard I have experienced.
ZeFritz wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 20:13
why, oh, why can’t it be an ISO one…
It is the curse of ISO layouts :roll:

I found someone in NL that will use it with a Sparcstation machine, so it seems the keyboard will not go wasted and won't have to travel much to its new home.

Findecanor

07 Nov 2022, 17:13

maxmalkav wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 14:16
I found someone in NL that will use it with a Sparcstation machine, so it seems the keyboard will not go wasted and won't have to travel much to its new home.
That's "sounds" great!

BTW, in these situations when you find a retro-platform enthusiast off-the-board, remember to first ask if they have an interesting keyboard to trade ;)

Return to “For sale”