IBM 3278 Display Station Beamspring Keyboard

User avatar
Half-Saint

11 Jul 2018, 08:54

Hi guys,

I tried to sell this on eBay and the top bidder ended up not paying. Why bid, if you're not going to pay in the end?

The switches feel quite crisp and clicky. The cable was cut and there are three missing caps.

I'm asking 1100€ OBO 750€ + shipping. Buyer is expected to cover Paypal fees.

Anyway, I'm sure you're all already familiar with the board so here are some pics:
DSC_0321.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3815 times
DSC_0322.JPG
DSC_0322.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3815 times
DSC_0320.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3815 times
Last edited by Half-Saint on 20 Sep 2018, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2018, 17:28

Half-Saint wrote: I’m asking 1100€ + shipping. Buyer is expected to cover Paypal fees.
A four figure price tag on a beam spring? Has it really been so long since I last followed these things? Has inflation compounded as the years passed, and what used to go for hundreds now commands thousands? Did nothing any lighter built survive the apocalypse? Is big iron all that remains to run the world?

3278s are nice. I’ve got one in better shape than this, with all its caps, an Xwhatsit controller and solenoid driver. But something tells me it’s not quite worth a grand either! If you can fetch it, consider me impressed, and maybe even just a shade dismayed.

User avatar
kekstee

11 Jul 2018, 17:30

Beamspring prices have indeed gone off the charts.

User avatar
Myoth

11 Jul 2018, 17:36

Muirium wrote: If you can fetch it, consider me impressed, and maybe even just a shade dismayed.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-3278-Displa ... SwweRbOiSi

it has been set in stone :? :cry:

User avatar
Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2018, 17:42

My EBCDIC isn’t what it should be, but I reckon your interpretation of those inscriptions may be right.

I remember feeling bad for charging Seebart something like 250 bucks for a similar beamspring a few years ago. It was around what I paid for it, and its upgrades. Now I feel better to know he got a good deal! Maybe time’s coming for my own.

User avatar
Dingster

11 Jul 2018, 17:51

Muirium wrote: My EBCDIC isn’t what it should be, but I reckon your interpretation of those inscriptions may be right.

I remember feeling bad for charging Seebart something like 250 bucks for a similar beamspring a few years ago. It was around what I paid for it, and its upgrades. Now I feel better to know he got a good deal! Maybe time’s coming for my own.
Beamspring prices are insane atm as others have said. Same goes for blue and brown alps. Also F122s are going for 500$+. Dell AT101s went from like 20$ to 50 and above.

User avatar
Half-Saint

11 Jul 2018, 18:05

Yeah, I based my price on the top offer that I got from two buyers. The 2nd highest bidder was 1232€.

Just to be clear, I am open to offers - the price is not set in stone especially when DT club members are in question.

User avatar
Myoth

11 Jul 2018, 18:09

what ? why would you put for auction a keyboard to test it's value, and in the end you just put it for sale for less than the highest bid was ?

User avatar
Dingster

11 Jul 2018, 18:13

Myoth wrote: what ? why would you put for auction a keyboard to test it's value, and in the end you just put it for sale for less than the highest bid was ?
>I tried to sell this on eBay and the top bidder ended up not paying.
probably this

User avatar
Myoth

11 Jul 2018, 18:19

hmmm

User avatar
Half-Saint

11 Jul 2018, 18:36

Myoth wrote: what ? why would you put for auction a keyboard to test it's value, and in the end you just put it for sale for less than the highest bid was ?
If it actually sold, I would end up with around 1100€ after eBay and PayPal fees were paid.

User avatar
tron

11 Jul 2018, 19:12

kekstee wrote: Beamspring prices have indeed gone off the charts.
The market is quite saturated atm with three good condition 5251s being offered from one seller alone. Only the fully restored/good condition boards seem to be selling quickly and near the max equalibrium price point. IMO buyers feel confident waiting for lower prices and better condition boards due to the healthy supply. If you want to sell your beamer for max amount then just wait until the supply dies down a bit or fully restore/convert it. They are easier to work on vs model F XT IMO. Most people I know in the market for one don't think they have the time or skill to do it themselves.

User avatar
ideus

14 Jul 2018, 22:04

In a pararell world where DT's members were compulsive buyers of anything with keycaps on...

Lagomorph

14 Jul 2018, 22:56

tron wrote:
kekstee wrote: Beamspring prices have indeed gone off the charts.
The market is quite saturated atm with three good condition 5251s being offered from one seller alone.
Two now. Should be arriving this week.

Half-Saint, I was the 2nd highest bidder on that board. I noticed the 5251's for sale before you offered the "second chance", and I couldn't justify the bid after my best offer got accepted by the 5251 seller (I won't disclose what was accepted out of respect for the seller).

Sorry we couldn't do business, because the 3278 looks like it's in fantastic condition. I know you'll find a decent buyer and a good price; those boards don't stick around for long.

User avatar
Half-Saint

15 Jul 2018, 10:01

Lagomorph wrote:
tron wrote:
kekstee wrote: Beamspring prices have indeed gone off the charts.
The market is quite saturated atm with three good condition 5251s being offered from one seller alone.
Two now. Should be arriving this week.

Half-Saint, I was the 2nd highest bidder on that board. I noticed the 5251's for sale before you offered the "second chance", and I couldn't justify the bid after my best offer got accepted by the 5251 seller (I won't disclose what was accepted out of respect for the seller).

Sorry we couldn't do business, because the 3278 looks like it's in fantastic condition. I know you'll find a decent buyer and a good price; those boards don't stick around for long.
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I was wondering why there was no word from you but I assumed you were no longer interested. At least that 5251 will be in good hands :)

I ordered one xwhatsit controller for my other 3278 board to see how it feels in everyday use. If I don't like it, that one will be sold as well.

User avatar
Half-Saint

29 Jul 2018, 12:06

Still available and I am open for offers.

Cheers

User avatar
Half-Saint

22 Aug 2018, 07:35

Bump.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

User avatar
Half-Saint

19 Sep 2018, 08:56

Bump!

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

20 Sep 2018, 02:38

Free bump.

User avatar
wobbled

20 Sep 2018, 10:38

I wonder why it isn't selling at 1100? :?:
Oh yeh... That's ebay prices, and on eBay the seller would deal with PayPal fees, not the buyer.

Open to offers or not, the initial asking price is a huge turn off for most people that would otherwise be interested.

User avatar
Bass

20 Sep 2018, 11:43

The last two (not restored) 3278's to sell on ebay were both in the $1100-$1200 range, which is actually less than the price of this board when taking the cost of paypal fees and euro to usd conversion into account. Granted, those two were full size and I have heard these smaller ones are supposedly a bit rarer, but still. On top of that, this board is also missing keycaps. Not exactly hard to replace with Selectric I/II caps being abundant as they are but I am sure most buyers would prefer the originals due to their color and texture.

User avatar
Half-Saint

20 Sep 2018, 13:02

OK, since people are afraid of making any sort of offers for whatever reason I'm stating a new price of 750€ + shipping.

Slom

20 Sep 2018, 13:15

So I now offer 400, and we are almost back to the "reasonable" prices we had 3 years (or was it two years?) ago. Still expensive for the 3 missing keys ...

nickg

21 Sep 2018, 20:24

Slom wrote: So I now offer 400, and we are almost back to the "reasonable" prices we had 3 years (or was it two years?) ago. Still expensive for the 3 missing keys ...

3. Two it was $650 and i was saving up, then when i got enough they were like 800 i was sad but now i have an order in with elispe and 2 working and 1 ded ,model f. One apparently is a rare model too lol Personally for a beam spring missing 3 keys i wouldnt go over $500 USD.

Fkazim

02 Apr 2019, 14:38

Hi Just wondering is the Beam spring 3278 keyboard still available.

Thanks.

User avatar
Half-Saint

26 Jul 2019, 15:20

Sorry for not updating the thread. The board was sold in December 2018 for the asking price.

Fkazim

29 Jul 2019, 11:02

OK thanks for letting me know.

Post Reply

Return to “For sale”