SOLD - Brand New Model F (F77)

klaas

14 Dec 2022, 15:38

SOLD!

=============

Brand new model F77 for sale: I ordered mine back in in 2016 and it has arrived earlier this year. I took it out of the box earlier but didn't have time to get it to work reliably (and still have a single key that is sometimes acting up; see elsewhere)

I'm not enough of a hobbyist to justify further fidgeting with the springs and have to admit that this beast is too heavy for actual usage in my day-to-day.

Rather than have it collect dust in my already crowded collection I'd rather get this one in someone's hands who will actually get use out of it.

I'll take any reasonable offer.

====
F77 Model F Keyboard

Keys:

Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)
layoutflipper-placement:

ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
color:

Industrial Gray
Right side block:

Print/ScrLock/Pause/Ins/Del etc. keys, cursor keys
customlow-serial-numberbirthday:

Original price: $359 plus $15 for the Industrial SSK Blue Keys
Last edited by klaas on 07 Jan 2023, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Blardon

15 Dec 2022, 20:17

Where are you located? From what I imagine, shipping on these might be quite pricey :)

Muirium
µ

15 Dec 2022, 20:32

User profile says: Netherlands.

Though yes pricing in dollars is a little weird for Europe.

Sheepless

16 Dec 2022, 03:27

Seems like a lot of these new model F keyboards get sold unused, or little used.

inozenz

16 Dec 2022, 04:13

Sheepless wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 03:27
Seems like a lot of these new model F keyboards get sold unused, or little used.
It has strong weaknesses

Bjerrk

16 Dec 2022, 07:55

inozenz wrote:
It has strong weaknesses
And weak strengths? :D

For what it's worth, after two years of use, my New Model F may still be the best keyboard I own, all things considered. And I own a few :D Or at least in a shared 1st place with only a few other boards.

I'm still more fond of some vintage keyboards, in an intangible warm-and-fuzzy kinda way, but at least my New Model F does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a Model F with QMK and a semi-modern layout and it's completely awesome!

I only had two problems with it: the USB cable went bad (easily replaced) and the powder coating is subpar (but it seems Joe fixed that on later batches).

Now, Joe's business methods are a whole different story. But I'm pretty happy with the product!

klaas

16 Dec 2022, 09:46

inozenz

16 Dec 2022, 09:50

klaas wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 09:46
Beautiful 👌🏻

inozenz

16 Dec 2022, 09:58

Bjerrk wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 07:55
inozenz wrote:
It has strong weaknesses
And weak strengths? :D

For what it's worth, after two years of use, my New Model F may still be the best keyboard I own, all things considered. And I own a few :D Or at least in a shared 1st place with only a few other boards.

I'm still more fond of some vintage keyboards, in an intangible warm-and-fuzzy kinda way, but at least my New Model F does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a Model F with QMK and a semi-modern layout and it's completely awesome!

I only had two problems with it: the USB cable went bad (easily replaced) and the powder coating is subpar (but it seems Joe fixed that on later batches).

Now, Joe's business methods are a whole different story. But I'm pretty happy with the product!
Here is my take on the new model F and after that we should stop discussing, because Klaas wants to sell his board here.
Crazy good quality on the case. Like there is no keyboard in my collection, which has this massive weight and durability.

Switches are super light, not my taste.

Keycaps have a font and font weight which is a little too much in my opinion. The W on mine looks thicker then other alphas.

Qmk via compatibility is nice but for professionals, who use Photoshop or any other Adobe product I recommend a normal full-size keyboard, the lack of f row sure is noticeable. I personally use mine for gaming and for that its pretty good, since I don't need an f row.

Loud like crazy loud, if you like tinitus simulator this is the keyboard for you.
I would atleast mod the keyboard, floss mod and some foam in the case sold this problem for me.

All in all this is a super nice keyboard with strong weaknesses and strong strength. Some of the weaknesses can be resolved easily.

So my opinion is if you like the model F and have a spare f xt Flippers to swap, keycaps and a weekends time. Buy this keyboard it's a monster!

Klaases keyboard is beautiful ❤️

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2022, 10:13

Conversation is auto-bump for OP, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

As everyone knows, I've an OG IBM Kishsaver yet still haven't tried one of these remakes. I'd be intrigued to see exactly how they compare, given I’m so used to the 4704 after all these years at work on my desk. Work work! Not all professionals need fullsize keyboards, what a tiresome lie! There's not a key I can't press on my Kishsaver or my HHKB, and quick, too, because they're so close by.

The complaint I've seen plenty about Ellipse's boards—and OP says this one—is they can be a bitch to get to 100% reliability on the capsense controller. They would have been much worse without Pandrew porting QMK! Xwhatsit's firmware could really nail you hard, especially with ancient IBM originals. My Kish was good—it's in epic shape for 1986—but my 3278 only became a driver thanks to Pandrew. It was far too flaky before, yet his QMK port has been very almost perfect from the moment I first flashed it.

Yes, there's some other absent QA issues with Ellipse, too. So all these boards are nerd specific for those who don't mind to roll their sleeves up and get bending cap stems and such. But just look at them! Tell me you can resist. 8-)

inozenz

16 Dec 2022, 11:07

Muirium wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 10:13
Not all professionals need fullsize keyboards, what a tiresome lie!
I just don't agree with you here, I have no idea what u are doing as a profession, but I gave you an example with Adobe products.

Yes u can press each key-combination. That would also be possible with a 6 key keyboard.

But no professional video editor will ever use a model F repro.

There is no room for argument here.

Those professionals need to minimize time per key pressed and use specific keyboards even with multiple knobs.

I also mentioned that I personally don't need the f row. But for those who need them will miss them. That's not a lie.

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2022, 11:28

You did see the word "all" in my sentence that you quoted? ;)

Plenty of us type for a living, too. And some of us even do it perfectly well on sixties. Clutch your pearls!

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

16 Dec 2022, 11:34

Pm'

inozenz

16 Dec 2022, 12:07

Muirium wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 11:28
You did see the word "all" in my sentence that you quoted? ;)

Plenty of us type for a living, too. And some of us even do it perfectly well on sixties. Clutch your pearls!
yes, and i specified which professions need it and u stated that as a lie, so what exactly are u trying to say?

before saying someones statement is a lie read carefully.

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

16 Dec 2022, 12:14

• Person wants to downsize keyboard collection
  • Makes selling classified on keyboard enthusiast site
  • Patiently waits for a new loving home for his SSK
  • One guy points out how a lot of them are being sold recently
  • One guy briefly infers its down to their quality
  • Debate on key layout, feasibility and impact on the work place environment ensues

Are one of you going to at least buy the thing once you have finished this argument?

Sheepless

16 Dec 2022, 12:44

ArtyomTheMetroHopper wrote:
  • Debate on key layout, feasibility and impact on the work place environment ensues

Are one of you going to at least buy the thing once you have finished this argument?
No point in me buying it, since I already have a new F77 (with which I had less trouble than many).

Bjerrk

16 Dec 2022, 14:27

inozenz wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 12:07
yes, and i specified which professions need it and u stated that as a lie, so what exactly are u trying to say?

before saying someones statement is a lie read carefully.
Let's all calm down a bit and remember we're just discussing* keyboards and are all good friends :-P I don't wanna get on the bad side of someone who can organize a whole space invasion :?

As for the whole F-key discussion: I use F-keys all the time in my work, but I find I get used to the Fn+# way of doing things. That being said, I still prefer the good ol' Model M layout, but don't mind e.g. the XT layout or the F77 repro too much. I can't do 60% though (yet?).

* (and selling/buying)
ArtyomTheMetroHopper wrote:

Glad to see you contributed to the thread ;)

Return to “For sale”