[WTS] Olivetti KBD-2812 Cherry G81

fedefede

22 Oct 2023, 02:16

I sell my Olivetti KBD-2812 Cherry G81with box perfect condition. Price is 190euro. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... vZImsogbOL

ngochoangspf

22 Oct 2023, 13:17

Hi, this board have MY or MX switch? Can you upload more detail photos for board, keycap and timestamp. Thanks!

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2023, 13:58

G81 means MY. The caps are the star. See how little they’ve yellowed compared to the case? Suggests (dyesub) PBT to me, though I’m no Cherry expert and the spacebar is a surprise.

fedefede

22 Oct 2023, 17:27

Tomorrow i show better photos and timestamp..Thank you

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2023, 19:21

Maybe charge your phone first this time. I see that 1% battery alert! :lol:

fedefede

22 Oct 2023, 20:06

Ahahaha

Crizender

23 Oct 2023, 12:57

https://www.subito.it/informatica/tasti ... 089412.htm

Why is this suddenly worth an extra 170 euros? seems like a pretty egregious flip.

gianni

23 Oct 2023, 13:36

not MX, or at least most keycaps aren't MX compatible... quite shitty

guidemetothelight

24 Oct 2023, 13:42

Crizender wrote:
seems like a pretty egregious flip.
If I would have a dollar for every time a board I was having in my favourites / on my watchlist was then posted 1-3 days later to DT for sometimes 10x the stated auction price, I could just buy all my "white wales" that are still on the list :D

I think its just part of the hobby. I still see rare HAD or SAD versions go for absurd prices, so those people will keep doing it.

fedefede

24 Oct 2023, 16:06

Hello i show photos with timestamp… https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 6x9z1DmYpJ

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Oct 2023, 17:57

guidemetothelight wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 13:42
Crizender wrote:
seems like a pretty egregious flip.
If I would have a dollar for every time a board I was having in my favourites / on my watchlist was then posted 1-3 days later to DT for sometimes 10x the stated auction price, I could just buy all my "white wales" that are still on the list :D

I think its just part of the hobby. I still see rare HAD or SAD versions go for absurd prices, so those people will keep doing it.
I agree, but they should at least refrain from simply using the photos made by the person they bought the keyboard from.

Prelim

24 Oct 2023, 18:07

those are not even "made by Cherry" caps, it is worthwhile to mention!

fedefede

24 Oct 2023, 19:18

the keyboard is mine now, who I bought it from is not your problem, if you are envious that I paid 20 euros for it it is your problem. I'll sell it for what I decide, and then 190 euros is also a low price if you're an expert in keyboards because if you think that 190 euros is a high price then you don't know the market well!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2023, 08:51

fedefede wrote:
the keyboard is mine now, who I bought it from is not your problem, if you are envious that I paid 20 euros for it it is your problem. I'll sell it for what I decide, and then 190 euros is also a low price if you're an expert in keyboards because if you think that 190 euros is a high price then you don't know the market well!
Sure, but what about stealing your seller's photos?

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2023, 12:50

gianni wrote:
Prelim wrote:
Interesting. What's the telltale? I get that the seller is scammy—first rule of keyboard club: never argue with Kbdfr!—but how can you tell this about the caps from the photos?

VR20X6

25 Oct 2023, 19:04

fedefede wrote:
Fair enough. It is also up to others to decide if they want to buy from an egregious flipper and a cunt.

fedefede

25 Oct 2023, 20:44

Price is 170euro + cost of shipping

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Oct 2023, 21:52

Muirium wrote:
gianni wrote:
Prelim wrote:
but how can you tell this about the caps from the photos?
viewtopic.php?t=10589

Different font, different texture, different shape, different stabilizers. Same as those found on some Triumph Adler/Xerox typewriters. They were quite clearly based on Cherry's keycaps, since the profile/shape/font is all very close - but they're not the same. And certainly nowhere near as desirable for a number of reasons.

The difference in font is particularly easy to see in pictures, but after seeing enough photos you can start to see the difference in shape too.
fedefede wrote:
with box perfect condition.
That probably isn't the original box, FYI.

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2023, 09:45

Thanks for the link, Photekq. Buyers beware: you sure you want this?

Whoever made those caps did a nice job on the spacebar, though. Looks good PBT to me. All this mythology about banana-shaped spacebars unless they're ABS is a distortion of the truth. Many of my favourite keyboards have 80s vintage PBT spacebars.

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2023, 14:22

fedefede wrote:
Not that I want to sound as much of a prick as you are coming off as, but... if you think a yellowed Cherry MY keyboard is worth 190 euros, perhaps you don't know the market well!

I mean, this is DT, after all. You can't come here to flip a cheap keyboard and expect the knowledgeable people that read this forum daily to NOT call you out on it. :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2023, 14:28

Muirium wrote:
All this mythology about banana-shaped spacebars unless they're ABS is a distortion of the truth.
Damn right. Lately, GMK has been producing ABS bananas and passing them off as "within tolerance". GH abounds with the screams of kids complaining about it.

Muirium wrote:
Many of my favourite keyboards have 80s vintage PBT spacebars.
In fairness, we just don't know the rate of rejection of PBT space bars produced by, say, IBM or NMB. IBM being IBM (and, frankly, NMB doing the same), it's fair to assume they'd have a strict quality control and would not let bananas come out of the factory. It's safe to assume they both had a GOOD manufacturing process, better than other companies', but still... PBT does warp, does it not?

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2023, 16:16

The mythology I’m on about is the one which goes "of course the spacebar's ABS, they couldn't make PBT spacebars back then." The insistence was that it was just impossible before some point in time. Not the shades of grey (or curves of banana…) of manufacturing tolerance but the black and white of keyboard scripture. It was common knowledge for years, something you'd hear more often here at DT before Chinese caps got more audacious and we were seeing things like "reverse dyesub" and "doubleshot PBT," especially that one.

As I wrote in 2014 when I encountered my first NMB:
Muirium wrote:
24 Jul 2014, 03:14
Oh, but the star of all the caps is the space bar. Goodness me if it isn't PBT, from back in the age before windows keys! And a damn straight one, too! It isn't even wrinkly.

Even the HHKB has an ABS space bar. You know what shame it is to see a yellowed space bar on an otherwise fantastic keyboard. It's like when someone smiles and all you see are yellow teeth. ABS has long been a necessary evil for space bars, as PBT tends to bend when it cools from the manufacturer's mold, and you'll end up with a banana for a space bar. Even if it is a pleasing white one!

A few PBT space bars do exist out there, of course. I have a couple in MX, myself, thanks to Ducky Nordic. And I suspect my XT's long space bar is either PBT or something else funny, as it's quite wrinkled along the top; not through wear, but either age or at at birth.

If this NMB's space bar is PBT — and I've every reason to think it is, as it feels identical to the other keys and hasn't yellowed one bit — then I have to take my hat off to them for what they achieved. All space bars should be as good! Honestly, why could one company do it back then and not the rest? What a secret to keep…
My impression back then, based on a lot of reading and chatting in the forum, was that PBT spacebars were a recent achievement. I'd heard of the banana warping issue in making them, and yet here I was face to face with a vintage board with a pitch perfect PBT spacebar. As you say, it's testament to IBM's and NMB's quality control (and profit margin) that they could and did pull off such well made keys, surely at the cost of binning many more warped ones. I’m glad they did, as ABS makes piss-poor spacebars: they'll shine in days, and yellow like rotting teeth; besides they don't even feel right when mixed with classy PBT textured keys.

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2023, 16:24

Muirium wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:16
The mythology I’m on about is the one which goes "of course the spacebar's ABS, they couldn't make PBT spacebars back then." The insistence was that it was just impossible before some point in time.
Oh, yeah, I've seen this more than once. And, for some reason, that argument always comes two or three posts after a picture of an F XT keyboard. And those "points in time" are, indeed, always in the '80s.

Some people repeat stuff without thinking about it.

gianni

26 Oct 2023, 17:33

Muirium wrote:
gianni wrote:
Prelim wrote:
Interesting. What's the telltale? I get that the seller is scammy—first rule of keyboard club: never argue with Kbdfr!—but how can you tell this about the caps from the photos?
I know olivetti keyboards, I'm italian and I own at least 6 sets of olivetti doubleshot keycaps.

I've purchased for a very small price also a set identical to this one, so I can recognize it.

Just look at a random gmk set, you'll immediately notice the difference in the letters, which in the olivetti being sold there aren't in the "angle" of the keycap.

mmm

26 Oct 2023, 22:03

photekq wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 21:52
Muirium wrote:
gianni wrote:
Prelim wrote:
but how can you tell this about the caps from the photos?
viewtopic.php?t=10589

Different font, different texture, different shape, different stabilizers. Same as those found on some Triumph Adler/Xerox typewriters. They were quite clearly based on Cherry's keycaps, since the profile/shape/font is all very close - but they're not the same. And certainly nowhere near as desirable for a number of reasons.

The difference in font is particularly easy to see in pictures, but after seeing enough photos you can start to see the difference in shape too.
fedefede wrote:
with box perfect condition.
That probably isn't the original box, FYI.
In addition to this, the caps also have significant interference with Cherry-style switches, as well as being slightly smaller creating a wider gap between caps.
depletedvespene wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 14:28
Muirium wrote:
All this mythology about banana-shaped spacebars unless they're ABS is a distortion of the truth.
Damn right. Lately, GMK has been producing ABS bananas and passing them off as "within tolerance". GH abounds with the screams of kids complaining about it.
GMK has made their first keycap set in PBT, in the MTNU profile. They are expected to start shipping out tomorrow. There is supposedly a bit of warp on the bars, but we'll see how it turns out once it gets into the hands of people.

Return to “For sale”