[WTB] Model M or other Buckling Spring Keyboards

mbsurfer

22 Feb 2019, 15:55

Looking for a buckling spring board that one of you may not want any more. It doesn't have to be a Model M specifically, and am open to other offers.

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2019, 17:55

I expect Europe based M122’s aren’t what you have in mind…

viewtopic.php?p=434981#p434981

mbsurfer

22 Feb 2019, 18:11

Was hoping for something that wasn't that large. Sorry to be picky, but thank you for replying!

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Feb 2019, 21:20

There are about 100 Model Ms on ebay right now.

Or if you can spring for about $80 + shipping, you can get a brand new one from Unicomp with warranty and native USB.

ZedTheMan

22 Feb 2019, 21:32

I have a Model F XT that I have replaced the foam in and converted/restored. It has a few small defects, such as a couple of dents in the steel barrel plate, and a bit of wearing on the case plastic which has turned smooth, however, the feeling is not affected and the keyboard works excellently. Feel free to offer if interested, I'm looking for something >$100 though, ideally.

mbsurfer

22 Feb 2019, 22:17

fohat wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 21:20
There are about 100 Model Ms on ebay right now.

Or if you can spring for about $80 + shipping, you can get a brand new one from Unicomp with warranty and native USB.
I figured I would try and help the community out first if someone was trying to sell. I've heard mixed reviews about the quality of the Unicomps vs. Model M's. I will probably end up buying one off of Ebay in decent shape.
ZedTheMan wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 21:32
I have a Model F XT that I have replaced the foam in and converted/restored. It has a few small defects, such as a couple of dents in the steel barrel plate, and a bit of wearing on the case plastic which has turned smooth, however, the feeling is not affected and the keyboard works excellently. Feel free to offer if interested, I'm looking for something >$100 though, ideally.
I may be interested. I was hoping for PS/2 boards, but I'd still be willing to take a look!

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Feb 2019, 22:58

mbsurfer wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 22:17

I've heard mixed reviews about the quality of the Unicomps vs. Model M's.
You may have been misguided by the haters. A Unicomp Model M absolutely is a Model M just as surely as one manufactured by IBM or Lexmark.

Unicomp's quality control is not as consistent, but getting a brand new item at roughly the same price with a full warranty and choices of color, configuration, and native USB connectivity are not to be ignored.

My recommendation is to begin with the new item and expand back into vintage gear when and if it really suits you.

Hypersphere

23 Feb 2019, 00:54

@fohat: Just curious, when did you get a Unicomp Model M? I got one quite a few years ago, and it was of such poor quality that I gave it away. However, as I recall, when I say "poor quality" it was more a matter of fit and finish appearance rather than mechanical dysfunction. Maybe the Unicomp models have improved since then.

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Feb 2019, 02:54

I think that the only one I currently own is about a 2003 with "classic" size and configuration but including Windows keys.

A set of green-printed caps from about 4 years ago was awful but I have gotten much better ones since then.

"Fit and finish" seems like trivial whining to me. In my opinion, Unicomps actually have a nice crisp feel (perhaps due to the thin latex blankets) that is different but not necessarily unpleasant. I stand by my recommendation of a Unicomp to a newcomer.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2019, 11:21

Their caps are objectively naff, however.

Return to “Want to buy”