[WTB] ABS Black 7u Spacebar

mcmaxmcmc

22 Mar 2019, 08:55

I'm looking for a black 7u spacebar, in whatever mount it may be.

Specifically, I'm looking for a black Alps Electric-made black spacebar, but I've only known a single board that comes with it, and I don't have enough money to actually obtain such a set just for a spacebar, so that's out of the question.

Getting a Taihao one is also out of the question, since a 7u Spacebar only comes from the very rare black Focus boards, to which I won't be paying half my kidney for a set. Taihao only provides 6.25u spacebars in their current sets.

Matias sells blank black ABS keycaps, but as sets, and I don't really know if I can just contact them to buy a single cap or not; If any of you have a spare Matias 7u spacebar available, that would be great. If any of you know whether I can just contact them to buy a single keycap, that would also be great.

If there are no other choices available, I would like just a black 7u spacebar to stem mod. That works too, but, albeit I'm decent at stem-modding, I'd like to avoid it if possible. Getting a black 7u spacebar from a black Cherry set would be nice, the thick ones.

(There's also the choice of dyeing spacebars, but I feel like spending the money for the materials would be more expensive, plus I've never tried it before.)

Cheers!

Hypersphere

22 Mar 2019, 16:14

You might be able to purchase a 7u spacebar from Matias. Send them an email to ask.

mcmaxmcmc

22 Mar 2019, 22:54

Hypersphere wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 16:14
You might be able to purchase a 7u spacebar from Matias. Send them an email to ask.
I've just contacted Matias, and they do indeed sell individual caps if you contact them directly! (At least for the spacebar.)

Thanks! :D

Hypersphere

22 Mar 2019, 23:01

Good! Glad they have accommodated you. I've had good experiences with Matias by contacting them directly with special orders for modifier keycaps and stabilizer parts for vintage Alps boards. However, I do wish they would lower their prices somewhat. Their current prices seem rather expensive for blank ABS keycaps. The fit of their keycaps on both Matias and Alps switch stems is also too tight.

Polecat

23 Mar 2019, 20:02

There are a couple other black 7u Alps spacebars if it helps anyone. Micro Connectors (Mac) and Datacomp DFK-191 (non-winkey versions). Matching the exact shade of black can be a challenge though. The Micro Connectors is a bit lighter in color than the Focus, the Datacomp more of a dark gray/green.

mcmaxmcmc

26 Mar 2019, 10:14

Looks like I might need some help with this one.

Apparently I need a Matias board to buy the spare caps and that I need to show them which caps from which board are missing, all just for confirmation? Very odd (albiet I tried to buy a backslash cap too, as a backup).

I don't own a Matias board with me, so I don't know what to do. Telling them that I don't own a Matias board and that I'm using it for a project is not a good move. Would like to know what I should do.

Hypersphere

26 Mar 2019, 19:18

@mcmaxmcmc: I think that Matias prefers to sell full sets of keycaps. However, I have been able to get special orders of various keycaps from them. I have mainly wanted modifiers and spacebars.

Go to the Matias site and click on a keycap set. You will see a list of kecaps such as the following:

R4: 38 1x1, 2 1x1 LED, 1 1x2 (backspace)

R3: 18 1x1, 2 1x1.5 (tab, \)

R2-R3: 1 2x1 (+ on NumPad)

R2: 11 1x1, 3 1x1 Blind (F,J, NumPad 5), 1 1x1.75 (CapsLock LED), 1x2.25 (Enter U.S.)

R1-R1: 1 2x1 (Enter on NumPad)

R1: 20 1x1, 4 1x1.5 (Ctrl, Alt), 1 1x2 (0 on NumPad), 1x2.25 (left shift U.S.), 1x2.75 (right shift), 1 1x7 (spacebar)

Select the ones you want and send them the descriptions in a list of your own.

I hope that they will sell you the ones you want. Be sure also to specify if you want white or black and printed or blank. On my Alps boards, I like to use blank black modifiers and spacebars from Matias and lettered alpha caps from vintage boards.

Good luck.

AdrianMan

28 Mar 2019, 13:44

I can help with a mx mount 7u cherry profile spacebar. Pm me if interested.

Return to “Want to buy”