[WTB] Ergonomic Keyboard

teodoran

08 Apr 2020, 12:06

Looking for an ergo keyboard for a friend. He wants a new daily driver, and would like to get something mechanical and ergonomic. Tried to buy an Ergo Pro from Matias, but unfortunately they've discontinued that keyboard, so now we're trying our luck here :)

Both split and non-split ergos are fine, but would love something staggered that vaguely resembles ISO full size, TKL or 75%.
New and old keyboards are all interesting, as long as they're fit to be a daily driver.

Final caveat is that he really would like something that resembles Norwegian layout. Not really expecting many of you to have a lot of ergo keyboards with Norwegian layout laying around, so anything with a Nordic layout is fine. Even German should be ok. Heck as long as it's ISO and MX mount, we'll probably go for it, and try to get some new keycaps with Norwegian legends :lol:

davkol

13 Apr 2020, 20:36

Matias should have a new revision of the Ergo Pro out now. It's called Programmable Ergo Pro.

pcaro

14 Apr 2020, 19:58

Try the X-Bows Knight Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard

Very good layout for easy adaptation.

https://x-bows.com/

You can buy it sheaper on aliexpress.

ddrfraser1

14 Apr 2020, 20:28

pcaro wrote:

https://x-bows.com/

You can buy it sheaper on aliexpress.
That's cool. I did not know this thing existed. Pretty good looking board (coming from someone who doesn't like ergo boards)

davkol

14 Apr 2020, 21:07

I have to strongly disagree about the "easy adaptation". Getting used to a columnar layout is as difficult as with any other keyboard and if anything, the right side that looks like on a standard keyboard confuses the hell out of me. For the record, I have no problem moving between standard and ergonomic keyboards (like right now Topre Realforce and Kinesis Advantage).

At least Knight should be able to run QMK, compared to OG X-Bows, which lacks Linux/macOS support, even though it was supposed to get it… I'm pissed about that.

The OG hardware is cheap too. Knockoff stabilizers; non-existent options for replacement keycaps (I wouldn't mind if they were sculpted like Keyboardio's, though); loose feet;…

teodoran

23 Apr 2020, 01:03

Thanks for all the replies folks! Sorry for the lack of response since posting, but was occupied elsewhere for a while.
davkol wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 20:36
Matias should have a new revision of the Ergo Pro out now. It's called Programmable Ergo Pro.
Great news! Heard rumors about Matias working on a new revision, but wasn't aware that it already had been released.
pcaro wrote:

Anything with columnar layout is probably not going to be the first choice for my friend, but thanks for the tip anyway :)

davkol

23 Apr 2020, 12:19

I think Sinc by Keebio might support ISO.

BadCommand

27 Apr 2020, 09:33

Late response! Has your friend already bought something?

I've been using my wife's Ultimate Hacking Keyboard during the confinement, and I'm very impressed with it. I know it's not quite what you asked for (it's more like a 60%, and not by default in the Norwegian layout), but once you master the mod layer it's very effective. Both ISO and ANSI layouts have a horizontal enter but all 48 character keys are 1u if you want to exchange keycaps, which are Cherry mount.

hellothere

11 Jun 2020, 00:06

Also late.

I've made cleaning and repairing keyboards my new hobby. I just got in a Matias Ergo Pro 2 FC403 QPC-2. It has one leg that's slowly falling off. It's supposed to have some key chatter, but I haven't seen that in the appx. 1 hour I've used it. If you're interested, PM me and we can work out something. Heck, if you have a keyboard that needs minor repair, we might even be able to do a trade.

Return to “Want to buy”