A case for a Tandy 3000

keyboard Kultist

20 Jul 2020, 21:32

So I had this Tandy 3000, switchs in great condition but case very yellow and dodgy looking. Recently I got another in much better shape case wise, so decided to try to do a little work on the first one. As you might guess the case disintegrated in my hands and so I'm looking for a replacement case.

xxhellfirexx

21 Jul 2020, 00:58

Can you please mention how the case broke so others can be more careful when handling it?

keyboard Kultist

21 Jul 2020, 03:35

xxhellfirexx wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 00:58
Can you please mention how the case broke so others can be more careful when handling it?
Sure. Now this case was extremely yellow, almost orange, so it must have been exposed to the sun or in some other bad environment for a long time.

My plan was to take it apart and then either retrobrite it or maybe paint the case.
I took the screws out and was gently starting to separate the upper and lower case.

I was using a very small amount of force and suddenly the top housing snapped into five or six pieces. Some of the top case fell on my desk and when I picked it up I pressed it lightly between my fingers and it crumbled to dust. I don't know what that board has been through, but it wasn't good.

The weird part is that the keyboard works perfectly and the switchs feel terrific.
I guess the moral of this story is be very careful with yellowed to orange cases with not too thick plastic.

Until I can figure something I've put the keyboard module in a storage box and put it in a safe place.

xxhellfirexx

21 Jul 2020, 08:36

That is pretty bad. I wonder how it even survived shipping. Exposing plastic to heat over a long period of time can make plastic crack when pressure is applied, but I have never seen any crumble to dust.

keyboard Kultist

21 Jul 2020, 17:22

Yes, I'd never seen anything like it. At least the board inside is in great shape :-)

EnthusiastDude

24 Jul 2020, 08:31

I have a spare case, but it's not in a good condition either. The plastic is very solid and I don't think it'll break soon, but there are a lot of marks on there that won't come off. I thought of sanding it down a bit and painting it but I haven't got around to that yet. If you're interested let me know.

keyboard Kultist

26 Jul 2020, 04:36

PM'd

Return to “Want to buy”