[WTB] Keyboard and mouse for an Apollo Domain Series 3000

No Parking LLC

31 Dec 2021, 22:24

Hey guys, newbie here on the forum. I am gathering parts to rebuild an Apollo Domain 3010A workstation, and I am currently on the lookout for the keyboard and mouse. If anyone happens to have one or both that they're willing to sell, I'll pay handsomely for them. Thanks! (picture isn't mine, stole it from Google just to show what they look like)
Attachments
121-2141_IMG.jpg
121-2141_IMG.jpg (636.63 KiB) Viewed 5908 times

Polecat

31 Dec 2021, 22:34

Mouse looks like a Logitech C7. Standard ones had a 9 pin D connector (RS232 serial) but OEM versions may have been different. What's the mouse connector on the Apollo?

No Parking LLC

31 Dec 2021, 22:49

Polecat wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 22:34
Mouse looks like a Logitech C7. Standard ones had a 9 pin D connector (RS232 serial) but OEM versions may have been different. What's the mouse connector on the Apollo?
The connector on the mouse is a regular DB9 serial connector that connects to the back of keyboard, and yeah It does have the same design as the Logitech C7. I am not 100% sure if the C7 would even work with the system, but for it being an Apollo I'm certain that it uses a proprietary mouse with the same design as the C7.

Polecat

31 Dec 2021, 22:56

Gotcha. The reason I asked is that someplace here I have an OEM C7 with a male D9 connector and no branding. I've had it for decades, and I never did figure out what it went to. The normal C7s with a female D9 are pretty common as I'm sure you're aware.

MMcM

08 Jan 2022, 06:15

The Apollo mouse is not like serial PC mice: even though it uses a DE-9, it isn't RS-232.

It's like the original Macintosh mouse, exposing X- and Y-quadrature lines directly, along with the buttons. Although the pinout isn't the same.

See here.

Polecat

08 Jan 2022, 06:35

MMcM wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 06:15
The Apollo mouse is not like serial PC mice: even though it uses a DE-9, it isn't RS-232.

It's like the original Macintosh mouse, exposing X- and Y-quadrature lines directly, along with the buttons. Although the pinout isn't the same.

See here.
Thanks, I understand quadrature-direct, and I believe that's what my male-D9 C7 is. But I'm not going to spend time digging for it if the OP doesn't want it bad enough to even confirm whether or not the connector is correct.

MMcM

08 Jan 2022, 06:48

Well, I can confirm (and the Technical Reference does, too) that the mouse connector on the back of the keyboard is DE-9 F, so it will at least fit. The keyboard firmware reads that raw mouse and in turn encodes it within a 1200 baud TTL-level serial keyboard+mouse protocol that talks to the system.

Polecat

08 Jan 2022, 19:16

A simple google search pops this up:

https://www.recycledgoods.com/apollo-10 ... 14555-002/

The 3F-A0 is probably the model ID on the label. The C7s on ebay have similar numbering. The one I have came from the surplus/recycling biz I worked at for 25 years, and is probably for something else, but it's definitely not for a PC or anything else I was familiar with at the time. It's somewhere in my storage, but finding it is another story.

ZeFritz

19 Oct 2022, 19:40

Hello,
I’m looking for an Apollo Domain keyboard out of nostalgia, also. If someone has a second one - the OP comes first! -, preferably QWERTZ and located in Europe, I’m interested.

Return to “Want to buy”