[WTB - UK/EU/US] Model M

Go-Kart

03 Mar 2024, 08:50

I'm still regretting my decision to sell the majority of my keyboards, almost a year ago... I thought I was safe with my two HHKBs! This was due to the nature of the work I was doing at the time. Well, Phase 2 of the project I have been working on has started, and I had forgotten that I do a lot of data analysis and appreciate a full size board for such tasks :lol:

Now, fortunately, I didn't get rid of my first Model M. It has some sentimental value, sure, but it remained with me primarily because it's unreliable. It's been bolt modded, cushion modded (a game changer, BTW!), etc.. I find seating the flippers and getting all the bolts tightened to be a maddening experience. So when 'n' stops outputting, as it did last week. It goes back on the shelf. There seems to be an unusual sluggishness of output between 'm' and 'space', where, unless I'm typing extra slow, the order of output won't be as I typed. 'b', 'n', 'm' also all like to double output at times... This board tries my patience more than it should!

Ah, tis a pretty thing though.
Spoiler:
PXL_20240303_070244633.jpg
PXL_20240303_070244633.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 497 times
And a true joy to type on! Even with these persistent issues, using this and my F back to back had me sell my F; I just preferred everything about this M. However, dealing with these problems does tire. And they lead me to put it back on the shelf far more than it deserves!

So, I wish to buy another Model M. As they are prettier, I'd like to aim for a Square Badge M, but I'm open to any Model M, even an M122. However, my primary criteria is that I want an M that doesn't give me any headaches. So, NOS, or, a board where someone has done all the work, cleaned it, bolt modded, etc.. I just want a solid Model M, ready to go. If anyone out there is willing to sell an Industrial M, that'd be cool too.
I'm in the U.K., but I have family in the U.S., so boards from anywhere can be considered. PM me!

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2024, 10:10

Sure you’re not tempted by an M2? Underrated and I have two of them… ;)

thefarside

03 Mar 2024, 13:50

Have you considered a New Model M? It’ll be reliable and I’m my opinion just as good as an old Model M.

Go-Kart

03 Mar 2024, 14:15

Muirium wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 10:10
Sure you’re not tempted by an M2? Underrated and I have two of them… ;)
I would love to have a go of one, and probably would enjoy an M2 from what I understand. It doesn't have the good looks of it's elders, but I suppose if the price was right... ;)
thefarside wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 13:50
Have you considered a New Model M? It’ll be reliable and I’m my opinion just as good as an old Model M.
I have. Though, there's the intangible element of a vintage board that I like. If a Unicomp board popped up used for a few quid, I would go for it if it was Winkeyless. I dealt in vintage drums for years, so I have a penchant for old things. I like thinking about what was happening in the world when the engineer was building the keyboard I'm typing on.

There's something about those square badges too ...the allure!

Return to “Want to buy”