[Photos] Wood GH60/Poker/Pure case - Finished

nubbinator

20 Aug 2013, 03:30

I do a lot of woodworking for fun whenever I can. My latest project is a GH60/Poker/Pure drop in case with some Korean keyboard inspiration.

Update

The case is now done. Here's the pics:

It's not 100% perfect and has a few small flaws, mostly with the lining, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. It looks sexy, simple, and classy and is a one of a kind unique case that no one else has. It definitely was a fun little project and I'm thinking about maybe making a couple more, this time without a lining.

Original Post: Right now I've got the stand offs installed, the USB cutout done and I'm trying to figure out the best way to line the case with suede and trying to decide if I want to do a dipswitch cutout. I'm also trying to figure out if I just want to do a few more coats of Danish oil or if I want to finish it in Arm-R-Seal.

The woods I used were poplar and redheart for the feet that I turned on the lathe.

Last edited by nubbinator on 26 Aug 2013, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

nanu

20 Aug 2013, 13:04

It's always nice to see DIY cases! I take it you used a jigsaw to make a donut and glued it to a base? Seems an order of magnitude less difficult than routing a bowl.

By lining it, is it for dampening?

What do you think about construction using joinery (versus routing/carving less pieces)? Is it a tradeoff between bulk waste and prepwork any way you go about it?

Mikelittoris

20 Aug 2013, 19:08

nanu wrote:... I take it you used a jigsaw to make a donut and glued it to a base? Seems an order of magnitude less difficult than routing a bowl....
Wow that's really smart. Been thinking of doing something similar once my GH60 arrives. What are you using as stand offs?

Jmneuv

20 Aug 2013, 19:27

You can save yourself some trouble by desoldering the dip-switch (for poker/pure) and just bridging your options... those options aren't exactly something you change all the time.

nubbinator

20 Aug 2013, 22:47

nanu wrote:It's always nice to see DIY cases! I take it you used a jigsaw to make a donut and glued it to a base? Seems an order of magnitude less difficult than routing a bowl.

By lining it, is it for dampening?

What do you think about construction using joinery (versus routing/carving less pieces)? Is it a tradeoff between bulk waste and prepwork any way you go about it?
I cut the two board to roughly the same size on the table saw and trimmed them thinner (a planer would have made my life so much easier) then cut out the cutout with a scrollsaw and glued and clamped the two halves. After that, I cleaned up the sides with a belt sander and drilled pilot holes for the standoffs. I finished drilling and filing a hole for the USB Mini B connector just recently, epoxied the standoffs in place, and am currently finishing it before gluing the lining in place.

The lining is more of an aesthetic thing I wanted to play with, though it may have some noise dampening effect. I also think I'll probably make a backplate for the PCB to stabilize it some more.

In either case, you'll have a bunch of waste. The advantage of routing or milling is that you can start with a thinner piece of wood so you'll have a shorter overall case. The advantage of joining two pieces is that it's a little easier in the long run.
Mikelittoris wrote:
nanu wrote:... I take it you used a jigsaw to make a donut and glued it to a base? Seems an order of magnitude less difficult than routing a bowl....
Wow that's really smart. Been thinking of doing something similar once my GH60 arrives. What are you using as stand offs?
I just bought some brass standoffs, attached them to my PCB, then epoxied them in place.
Jmneuv wrote:You can save yourself some trouble by desoldering the dip-switch (for poker/pure) and just bridging your options... those options aren't exactly something you change all the time.
With the standoffs, I actually have enough room between the PCB and case that I don't have to worry about desoldering the dip switch. The USB connector is actually taller than the dip switch.

nubbinator

23 Aug 2013, 11:13

And updated pics of the case in action. I keep forgetting to buy chalk or else the case would be finished by now. All I have left to do is to line it with black or red suede leather. The brass standoffs have all been epoxied in place, the USB cable cutout has been done, and the case has been finished with Deft Danish Oil then Arm-R-Seal. All the different pics that look the same was just me trying out different Esc keys.

nubbinator

26 Aug 2013, 05:21

Update with finished case pictures.

uidroot

26 Aug 2013, 21:34

Oh this looks epic!

For your next party trick, you should try it with red cedar and clearcoat it to bring out that red shine (WITH KNOTS)

!

nubbinator

26 Aug 2013, 22:52

uidroot wrote:Oh this looks epic!

For your next party trick, you should try it with red cedar and clearcoat it to bring out that red shine (WITH KNOTS)

!
I was actually looking at some cedar, but I'm not sure I could work with it. The smell is rather strong and causes me to start sneezing a ton sometimes. Random unprepared sneezing and power tools can equal bad times.

Return to “Gallery”