Cherry 2550 Clone with plate-mounted Alps

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Jan 2012, 20:24

A new find of mine...patience pays off. Will most likely end up selling it, as I have no use for a Battleship like this. Yes, the hotkeys are on-the-fly programmable.
Ortekboard.jpg
Ortekboard.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
ortekback.jpg
ortekback.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
dsnplate.jpg
dsnplate.jpg (160.33 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

Daemon Raccoon

02 Jan 2012, 20:27

I take it that the battery compartment is so it can remember the programmed key settings?

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Jan 2012, 20:28

exactly!

7bit

02 Jan 2012, 20:36

Ascaii wrote:exactly!
Are they clicky or linear?

ps: You better keep it in your collection, because I promised myself not to buy used keyboards anymore.[1,2]

ps/2: Normal, Rezept, Privat: I bet this one is from a pharmacy.
:geek:
-------------------------------
[1] You know like the smokers who promised not to smoke anymore, just this one last cigar to light the rockets ...
[2] Or like the alcoholic, who just drinks this one last glass of Champagne ...

xbb

02 Jan 2012, 20:44

nice! clean it :D

zulios

02 Jan 2012, 20:47

Beautiful, and the layout is also closer to a regular board than a 2100 or 2550, makes it easier to adapt.
But why are there twice the F1-F12 keys ? Are the ones on the left purely used for macros ?

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jan 2012, 21:05

Cherry fanboys... :roll:

What is a Cherry 2550 clone? A clone of a clone?

It's a clone of the IBM 122-key 3270 keyboard. You know, Cherry & Alps, for all your cheap second-rate IBM replacement parts! :evilgeek:

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Jan 2012, 21:11

Haha I was wondering how long it would take until someone (you) would take us back to the roots. Im well aware of the noble beginnings of this layout, but sadly, the 2550 is more present in peoples minds...and thats what I wanted to achieve with my title...a picture of the layout in the readers mind before they see my board.

Zulios, the caps on the left are the f keys, the ones on the top are programmable macro keys. There is a second row of f keys above the alpha block.

As for 7bit...clicky. Crisp, nice...fun to type on. You know you want it. :D
Last edited by Ascaii on 03 Jan 2012, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

gore

03 Jan 2012, 01:06

I... I need it!

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jan 2012, 01:24

Hmm, an Ortek collector? I don't think I've ever spotted one in the wild. A rare breed. :ugeek:

Ascaii
The Beard

03 Jan 2012, 07:18

gore wrote:I... I need it!
feel free to get in touch with me, its for sale :P

I also have another Ortek with a slightly more "normal" layout for sale that is BNIB.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jan 2012, 08:05

zulios wrote:(...) But why are there twice the F1-F12 keys ? Are the ones on the left purely used for macros ?
Ascai wrote:(...) Zulios, the caps on the left are the f keys, the ones on the top are programmable macro keys.
Once upon a time keyboards used to have just 10 function keys on the left. Then someone (I blame Microsoft, of course, but I don't really know) decided to add two function keys and place them all on top, but during a period of transition there were keyboards with two sets of function keys, one on the left (with F11-F12 oddly added over F1-F2) and one on top. Like this one.

I still hold the two vertical rows of function keys on the left for a far better solution, as it allows any shortcut combination of a function key with one or more of the modifier keys to be typed intuitively with just the left hand without even having to look.

Nice keyboard, by the way :mrgreen:

zulios

03 Jan 2012, 12:20

Thanks for the info kbdfr, I didn't know about it nor did I think it would come in handy when touch typing. Now that makes total sense to me and I understand my g80-2100's layout better.

7bit

03 Jan 2012, 14:08

Ascaii wrote:Haha I was wondering how long it would take until someone (you) would take us back to the roots. Im well aware of the noble beginnings of this layout, but sadly, the 2550 is more present in peoples minds...and thats what I wanted to achieve with my title...a picture of the layout in the readers mind before they see my board.

Zulios, the caps on the left are the f keys, the ones on the top are programmable macro keys. There is a second row of f keys above the alpha block.

As for 7bit...clicky. Crisp, nice...fun to type on. You know you want it. :D
You should have written G80-2551, or even better Tipro KMQ128A-clone!!

In reality it is a 104 and a 122 key board plus some extra keys in one keyboard.

imsto

30 Jan 2012, 06:16

wow~~

Ascaii
The Beard

02 Feb 2012, 10:57

im going to put this one up for sale soon.

Return to “Gallery”