Cherry MX 5000

Jim66

13 Mar 2012, 21:45

Nice, they are great to type on.

I thought that you had bought the ANSI model that webwit scored in the OP.

mintberryminuscrunch

13 Mar 2012, 23:31

no, didn't want to open a new topic, but had to share^^

Jim66

16 Mar 2012, 10:05

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:no, didn't want to open a new topic, but had to share^^
How is the clean up going?

mintberryminuscrunch

16 Mar 2012, 10:16

Jim66 wrote:
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:no, didn't want to open a new topic, but had to share^^
mx5000_2.jpg
mx5000_2.jpg (232.89 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
done :)

PS:
its big brother
mx5700.jpg
mx5700.jpg (330.81 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

cactux

16 Mar 2012, 10:27

[Account and posts deleted on request]

mintberryminuscrunch

16 Mar 2012, 10:28

sure, why

cactux

16 Mar 2012, 10:31

mintberryminuscrunch

16 Mar 2012, 10:42

I just pulled lightly, noting bad can happen.

Maarten

16 Mar 2012, 10:55

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:[...]noting bad can happen.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Mar 2012, 11:01

cactux

16 Mar 2012, 11:27

Maarten

16 Mar 2012, 11:33

Hey, those are some funny stabilizers, are they mounted on top of the plate....?

Also, what are the extra diodes for placed at random near some switches?

mintberryminuscrunch

16 Mar 2012, 11:35

Maarten wrote:Hey, those are some funny stabilizers, are they mounted on top of the plate....?

some switches have their diodes outside, on the pcb

Maarten

16 Mar 2012, 11:37

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
Maarten wrote:Hey, those are some funny stabilizers, are they mounted on top of the plate....?

some switches have their diodes outside, on the pcb
Oh heck, now i see some of the switches dont have diodes indeed! Funky.

Jim66

16 Mar 2012, 23:38

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
Jim66 wrote:
mx5000_2.jpg
done :)

PS:
its big brother
mx5700.jpg
It's very nice, I'd still love to get my hands on a 5700! I've been trying for about a year and one hasn't turned up.

Lustique

17 Mar 2012, 00:27

webwit wrote:Image
These stabilisers (spacebar) look like the ones my G81 with vintage MY blacks has. Are these as good as other stabilisers?

Jim66

22 Mar 2012, 14:04

I've just started using my 5000 after a lengthy Topre break. I'm totally sold again.

Not really on cherry brown, as I find them a little 'meh', but on the ergonomic layout with the built in wrist rests! I love typing on this thing.

mintberryminuscrunch

22 Mar 2012, 15:16

yea.. thinking about modding it to reds or blacks.
not sure yet.

Jim66

22 Mar 2012, 17:11

Yeah, I once thought about replacing the browns with reds; I bottled it at the last minute though. Last time I tried removing cherry switch tops without de-soldering I ended up bending 3 or 4 contacts, I couldn't be bothered with the headache of that happening.

At the moment, I'm teetering on the edge of pulling the trigger on a uTron... The cost isn't really an issue; I'm just not sure whether it is going to affect my ability to type on regular boards when I have to. Sure the 5000 isn't as ergonomically perfect as the uTron but it's easy to go back to a regular keyboards after weeks of use.

Icarium

22 Mar 2012, 17:15

hm...I feel like somewhere between the 5000 and the uTron the Kinesis should be. I'm not sure how big the difference between a Kinesis and Maltron would be. Have you tried it?

Jim66

22 Mar 2012, 17:37

Icarium wrote:hm...I feel like somewhere between the 5000 and the uTron the Kinesis should be. I'm not sure how big the difference between a Kinesis and Maltron would be. Have you tried it?
Yep, I've used both the kinesis advantage and a maltron (89 layout, with and without trackball) for extended periods of time. Although they look the same, the difference is really quite large. I prefer everything (bar the rubber function buttons) about the kinesis.

In sort, it is the hand-made build quality of the maltrons that ruins it for me. The boards are VERY light, and the case flexes if you push your wrists down hard. Furthermore, some of the key locations on the 89 model are just simply awkward.

Discussions about the merits of regular staggered/inverted stagger (uTron)/matrix (maltron, kinesis, TE) layouts have been had many times at DT and GH. While the general consensus is that matrix is better (the stagger on a regular board is kind of pointless throwback), I feel that the way you sit at your desk largely dictates which layout is more ergonomic.

I like to have my elbows on the desk (wide-ish) with my forearms and hands coming in towards the board. With this in mind, I think that the uTron seems perfect. The stagger of the keys follows the natural direction of my fingers; something you don't get with standard board, and something you nearly achieve with martix boards (providing the halves are far enough apart and the matrix is tilted in the right direction).

EDIT: IMO the kinesis really is half way between the 5000 and the uTron, it is a fantastic board.

Return to “Gallery”