Nisemono Model M

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Aug 2018, 20:49

The Model M Imposter

[insert classic “fake is more real than genuine article because it is deliberately trying to be real” argument]

As with most of my posts about my boards, this is as much of a story as it is a showcase of the board itself.

A friend found me this board and I waited around until it arrived at my doorstep.
The end.

….

That’s it. That’s the whole story. I did basically nothing to get this keyboard and don’t deserve any of the credit in obtaining this rarity as the only contribution I made to the whole ordeal was pay for it, which is the only reason I can say that I it belongs to me…

…although, technically I guess that’s true for a lot of things in life – but even then you have to do some work to get that thing, like search online or go to a store or w/e – I actually did nothing.

Anyway… HUGE shoutout to /u/motorspychoo for making this possible for me. Thanks for being such a cool/transparent/trustworthy dude from beginning to end!

And now to show it off…
Spoiler:
I have wanted one of these ever since I first read about them. IBM logo? Blue alps? Model M form-factor?! SIGN ME UP! Though I figured if I ever got my hands on one it would be like the one matt found:
Spoiler:
Sweet mother of God…

I consider myself VERY lucky to have this keyboard. To my knowledge this is the second NIB one that has been found within the community, the first one being this one: keyboards-f2/i-interesting-find-nib-ibm ... 18011.html. So this isn’t exactly a ground-breaking discovery as mine is essentially the exact same thing as that board – like even down to the manufacture date of June 11th 1986…. For a brief moment I considered that the board from the link and mine were one-and-the-same, but I know my board isn’t ACTUALLY the same board because of the lock light bank imperfection. Interesting that they are the same date, though..

There have been, however, many other non-NIB model M imposters documented over the years:

1) Orihalcon’s: photos-f62/another-blue-alps-model-m-t13077.html
2) Mr. Nobody’s: keyboards-f2/blue-alps-ibm-model-m-t15382.html

To name a couple few (the second link contains a few other members who have found them as well).

The board has many strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses – the biggest of which is probably it’s keycaps. They are pretty thin pad printed ABS caps, and although the legends LOOK nice, they will rub off pretty easily. Normally this isn't the worst thing ever because you can just replace the caps with a more robust doubleshot set, right? Well...not in this case.

Spoiler:
You see, the molding for these caps, particularly the stem portion of them, are extremely different than any other alps cap set out there. Since the model M is constructed around a curved barrel plate, engineers of this imposter M had to compensate for the lack of flexibility you're forced to use with an alps plate and PCB. So what they did was gradually increase the height of each cap by altering the size of the stem based on what row the cap is on ultimately maxing out at the ridiculous stem height on the F row caps.

Another weakness is the boards build quality and even the plastic used for the chassis. Genuine model Ms use PVC (I think) for their plastic chassis, but this is certainly not PVC. I don't know what it is, but it feels super brittle and creaks a lot when being handled. It's not held together by the typical hex-bolt-like screws either, but instead typical phillips screws, wich don't look as elegent in my opinion.

So, okay then... Sure, it’s not built as well as a genuine model M and feels like it would completely shatter if you dropped it from waist-height; and sure, the keycaps are absolutely terrible – but that doesn't mean it's not amazing! It has some pretty awesome strengths as well!

For starters, it's got NOS blue alps. NOS blue alps are brilliant, and in this chassis (which is VERY hallow) they sound amazing. As an alps fanatic, I don't think you can really do any better than NOS blue alps for clicky switches. I know that some members will see blue alps as a downgrade to buckling springs, but for me it's quite the opposite!

Second, It also has NKRO in an ANSI layout, which means that for me it’s in the realm of the DC-3014 for “best blue alps board” contender. Although it definitely falls short of the DC-3014 because of the caps and build quality, and I think the DC-3014 still holds the title for me (which, BTW, I’m still looking for one!).

Overall this is one of my favorite keyboards in my collection – even though I didn’t go through any kind of “gauntlet” to get it, nor did I have to restore it to get it into the condition it’s in. In fact I almost feel guilty for getting a board like this without having to do anything – doesn’t feel right for a vintage board... Oh well!

Thanks for reading, and here’s a quick typing test of the board as well!
またね。
//gains.
Last edited by //gainsborough on 21 Aug 2018, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Dingster

21 Aug 2018, 21:01

:shock: :shock: :shock:

you are one lucky guy. Congrats on the SWEET FUCKING keyboard :lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Aug 2018, 22:01

I love how impossibly fake the IBM logo looks. :lol:

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2018, 22:14

Knowing nothing about these fakes, when do you think it was actually built? This century? New old stock blue Alps are surely worth a pretty penny lately too!
//gainsborough wrote: As an alps fanatic, I don't think you can really do any better than NOS blue alps for clicky switches. I know that some members will see blue alps as a downgrade to buckling springs, but for me it's quite the opposite!
As an IBM fan (with plenty of Ms and Fs and a blue Alps custom of his own) I'd agree with you that blue Alps are better than Model M. But Model F is still nicer, being so sharp. I have to consider Model F to be the true buckling spring, even though "the legendary IBM Model M" has all the fame. Model M came in nice form factors, for sure, but was quite a steep downgrade in feel and build. Blue Alps sits between them, as different from them both as black Space Invaders are too.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

21 Aug 2018, 22:51

Congratulations gainsborough, this is an awesome keyboard indeed.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Aug 2018, 23:07

Dingster wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

you are one lucky guy. Congrats on the SWEET FUCKING keyboard :lol:

There are a lot of boards I wish I had, and am jealous of lots of people on this forum, but you are right... I am pretty lucky to have a lot of what I have and should really be thankful instead of envious. Thanks, man =)
Blaise170 wrote: I love how impossibly fake the IBM logo looks. :lol:
Hahahah, right?? The only major difference I can tell is that this imposter square label is a bit convex, whereas the genuine square plate is flat.
Muirium wrote: As an IBM fan (with plenty of Ms and Fs and a blue Alps custom of his own) I'd agree with you that blue Alps are better than Model M. But Model F is still nicer, being so sharp. I have to consider Model F to be the true buckling spring, even though "the legendary IBM Model M" has all the fame. Model M came in nice form factors, for sure, but was quite a steep downgrade in feel and build. Blue Alps sits between them, as different from them both as black Space Invaders are too.
Cap. BS is certainly very nice, and honestly, it's hard for me to choose between blue alps and cap. BS!
ramnes wrote: Congratulations gainsborough, this is an awesome keyboard indeed.
Thanks, mate!

JP!

22 Aug 2018, 02:23

Ha you just need a badge from a real IBM :)

ZedTheMan

22 Aug 2018, 03:17

Woah, nice get gains!

This seems like a bastard child of a keyboard in concept but is really just the successful doppelganger.

orihalcon

22 Aug 2018, 05:29

Very nice find indeed! I never quite finished mine, but should you ever need to retrobrite, the caps respond pretty well to it as seen below. They are mostly the PBT/Dyesub variant, but you can tell the pad printed ones pretty easily as some of the legends are starting to rub off, especially the arrow keys.
Attachments
DSC05299.jpg
DSC05299.jpg (629.45 KiB) Viewed 7068 times

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Aug 2018, 05:33

orihalcon wrote: They are mostly the PBT/Dyesub variant, but you can tell the pad printed ones pretty easily as some of the legends are starting to rub off, especially the arrow keys.
Oh whaaaaat - that's actually news I didn't know before! So the Alphas are PBT dyesub? That's fantastic, actually! Also good to know about retrobrightening the non-PBT ones!

Elrick

22 Aug 2018, 05:43

//gainsborough wrote: NOS blue alps are brilliant, and in this chassis (which is VERY hallow) they sound amazing. As an alps fanatic, I don't think you can really do any better than NOS blue alps for clicky switches. I know that some members will see blue alps as a downgrade to buckling springs, but for me it's quite the opposite!
Hey, if you like it then it's your 'End-game' keyboard regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Always nice to snap up any 'New IN Box' keyboard no matter the switches used inside. You will always get the very best performance of ANY keyboard straight from the factory, without any dust or anyone's fluids mixed inside it.

Nice acquirement :D .

Bass

22 Aug 2018, 07:16

The keycaps look absolutely ridiculous while mounted on that board to the point of being unstable. I also like how you refer to it as the "Nisemono" M :lol: . Was this the only board of its kind that your friend could find, or did he find another to keep for himself?

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

22 Aug 2018, 18:31

this is so badass. love it!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Aug 2018, 03:46

Elrick wrote: Hey, if you like it then it's your 'End-game' keyboard regardless of anyone else's opinion.
I've always subscribed to the notion that "end game" doesn't exist =P But yeah this is pretty close!'
Bass wrote: The keycaps look absolutely ridiculous while mounted on that board to the point of being unstable. I also like how you refer to it as the "Nisemono" M :lol: . Was this the only board of its kind that your friend could find, or did he find another to keep for himself?
The F row is quite wobbly, for sure, hahaha. This was the only one, unfortunately =/
livingspeedbump wrote: this is so badass. love it!
LSB Approved!! Thanks, man!

orihalcon

23 Aug 2018, 04:48

//gainsborough wrote:
orihalcon wrote: They are mostly the PBT/Dyesub variant, but you can tell the pad printed ones pretty easily as some of the legends are starting to rub off, especially the arrow keys.
Oh whaaaaat - that's actually news I didn't know before! So the Alphas are PBT dyesub? That's fantastic, actually! Also good to know about retrobrightening the non-PBT ones!
Yeah, mine had all ABS caps to begin with, but the guy I got it from threw in another partial cap set which was from a board that he parted out for the blue ALPS that was only an internal module, so no case. His partial set was PBT/Dyesub to my surprise, so I used those wherever possible. The case, on the other hand, doesn't retrobrite as well as the caps. I'm actually debating whether painting the case might be the better way to go. Too bad these don't fit into regular Model M cases, or I'd surely do that!

I replaced all of the top row with Green ALPS which don't bind even with the odd angled caps, but I totally get it if you want to keep it all blues since yours is new and whatnot.

Here's a partial shot pre-retrobrite so you can see which keys are pad printed ABS and which are PBT/Dyesub much more easily:
DSC04760.JPG
DSC04760.JPG (5.68 MiB) Viewed 6923 times
Last edited by orihalcon on 23 Aug 2018, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

23 Aug 2018, 04:51

Petition to rename this keyboard the Model N

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Aug 2018, 05:16

orihalcon wrote: Yeah, mine had all ABS caps to begin with, but the guy I got it from threw in another partial cap set which was from a board that he parted out for the blue ALPS that was only an internal module, so no case. His partial set was PBT/Dyesub to my surprise, so I used those wherever possible. The case, on the other hand, doesn't retrobrite as well as the caps. I'm actually debating whether painting the case might be the better way to go. Too bad these don't fit into regular Model M cases, or I'd surely do that!
Yeah I wanted to use a genuine case as well, but oh well. Wonder how that would change the sound, though.. Do the moulds looks exactly the same between the pad printed vs dye-sub? Or is it just very obvious that there is raised printing on the pad-printed caps? I'll have to take a closer look at mine! The retrobrightening did wonders for your board though. It's a shame the case didn't turn out =/
snacksthecat wrote: Petition to rename this keyboard the Model N
Where do I sign? I love it.

depletedvespene

23 Aug 2018, 22:16

//gainsborough wrote: So this isn’t exactly a ground-breaking discovery as mine is essentially the exact same thing as that board – like even down to the manufacture date of June 11th 1986…. For a brief moment I considered that the board from the link and mine were one-and-the-same, but I know my board isn’t ACTUALLY the same board because of the lock light bank imperfection. Interesting that they are the same date, though..
It stands to reason that the date would be meaningless... your keyboard's data says:

DATE 11JUNE86 PT·NO·1390119
ID·NO·L1451 EC·NO·528146
PLT·NO·FL2 MODEL M

Now compare it to neozhou's picture at resources/image/44200 — it says the exact same thing, down to the ID number.

OTOH, larryniven's unit has a sticker on its back (see http://i.imgur.com/hYsSg86.jpg) that declares it to be a 1390131, which it obviously isn't.

I can't help but wonder what the hell was going on with these nisemonos. They seem to be built well enough to not have been sufficiently cheap to make, making the idea of a "pirated" keyboard quite improbable, and the fraudulent data would rule out a "test run" of a different, cheaper supplier. Are all known nisemonos US-ANSI units?

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 Aug 2018, 10:21

I've certainly never seen an ISO one before. You're right, though - I really wonder how the manufacturing price differed from a genuine M.

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Aug 2018, 14:28

//gainsborough wrote:
I really wonder how the manufacturing price differed from a genuine M.
Remember you are comparing manufacturing cost in Taiwan to manufacturing cost in the US in the mid-late 1980s.

andrewjoy

24 Aug 2018, 14:39

The fact that a "fake" has some of the highest regarded click switches in it, just shows you that " fakes" back then where better than "real" now.

A hell of a find!

depletedvespene

24 Aug 2018, 14:40

fohat wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:
I really wonder how the manufacturing price differed from a genuine M.
Remember you are comparing manufacturing cost in Taiwan to manufacturing cost in the US in the mid-late 1980s.
Even taking that into account, the price difference (multiplied by the amount of units sold) doesn't feel like worthwhile, especially if it incurred in IBM's wrath. ⇒⇐

Return to “Gallery”