czarek

27 Jun 2014, 22:55

A little update to my setup:
Setup140627.jpg
Setup140627.jpg (263.63 KiB) Viewed 12466 times
And a shot of contents of the drawer if you're interested:
Drawer.jpg
Drawer.jpg (318.33 KiB) Viewed 12466 times
It looks minimalistic but there are actually 3 computers connected to this keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers:
1. Mac Mini Server 2012 (my main workstation - i7@2.6ghz, 16gb ram, 480gb ssd)
2. PC (black Node 304 under desk on the right, used only for games - i5@4.4ghz, 8gb ram, 240gb ssd, gtx 770)
3. Amiga 500 Tower (not visible here, it's on the side - 060@60mhz, 128mb ram, 2x4gb scsi hdd, Picasso IV, Deneb USB 2.0)

collector of junk

28 Jun 2014, 14:56

czarek very impressed wish I could be that tidy !!!!

cookie

30 Jun 2014, 11:51

Really nice and clean desk! I love those leather wrist rests. Where did you get these? Seems like they are custom made.

mzero

30 Jun 2014, 12:34

czarek wrote: A little update to my setup:
Setup140627.jpg
Very clean and nice setup! It makes me want an ErgoDox but I wish they were smaller

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Jul 2014, 21:52

My desktop at home right now with the Realforce 104UW keyboard from the current Europe tour!

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2014, 21:57

Artful cheating! Not that there's any rules it has to be your keyboard on your desktop…

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Jul 2014, 22:02

Well, i thought about that fact. But it must be enough that the Tour is mentioned, and i wrote that it is mz ... my desktop and not my keyboard! I have to type, have to type, have to type...

[EDIT] Sorry to post another picture, but i just feel like so. The Realforce 104UW fits nicely to that display!

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Jul 2014, 23:52

That is indeed a nice screen. Now to hypnotise them into making one in 1600×1200.

mSSM

02 Jul 2014, 00:07

madhias wrote: Well, i thought about that fact. But it must be enough that the Tour is mentioned, and i wrote that it is mz ... my desktop and not my keyboard! I have to type, have to type, have to type...

[EDIT] Sorry to post another picture, but i just feel like so. The Realforce 104UW fits nicely to that display!

Can somebody tell me what's written on the screen's frame? gubhead.at? cubhead.at? aubhead.at? They all lead to nothing.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

02 Jul 2014, 00:09

dubhead.at :)

Madhias
BS TORPE

02 Jul 2014, 13:51

That's correct, my never updated homepage! Now i brushed the sticker, not to confuse anyone...

Medowy

09 Jul 2014, 09:53

GUYS HERE'S MINE

:o :o :o

Looking to buy GOOD speakers! :)

scottc

09 Jul 2014, 12:36

Cable from the KPT is strained, 3/10 at best. I'll consider 4/10 when you fix it.

Medowy

09 Jul 2014, 13:31

scottc wrote: Cable from the KPT is strained, 3/10 at best. I'll consider 4/10 when you fix it.
y u do this ;___;

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2014, 15:03

Ouch! Unplug the cable when faking extra length, then we'll never know…

Medowy

09 Jul 2014, 15:15

Owwwww MAN! :(

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2014, 15:22

Photography needs more than keyboards. It requires cheating, too!

Medowy

09 Jul 2014, 16:00

Muirium wrote: Photography needs more than keyboards. It requires cheating, too!
yeah like photoshopping more keyboards to the photo that you actually have! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

CeeSA

09 Jul 2014, 16:12

I don't like cheating at all.

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2014, 16:41

Then you must take pictures with dirty caps, junk all around the desk, and the lights turned off! Scene preparation is the kind of cheating I'm talking about. Photographers call it "staging". Candid photography is certainly interesting too, but not so much with keyboards. Catch them by surprise, and they tend to just be dark and dirty!

noobie94

09 Jul 2014, 22:49

Talking about desktops...I am searching a new desk with a lot of space (depth) for my 27 inch BenQ monitor. Any suggestions?

Hypersphere

09 Jul 2014, 23:00

noobie94 wrote: Talking about desktops...I am searching a new desk with a lot of space (depth) for my 27 inch BenQ monitor. Any suggestions?
After long and varied experience with many different types of work surfaces, I have found that the best (for me at least) is a plain table at typing height. I have also found that the best thing for monitors is a good adjustable monitor arm. I use HumanScale monitor arms in my work office. This frees up space under the monitors for other things (and looks good besides).

Muirium
µ

09 Jul 2014, 23:04

Hmm, one of those would be very smart. What do you suggest for a 27 inch display?

http://www.humanscale.com/products/cate ... nitor_arms

I've my sights set on Apple's desktop retina display, when it materialises. Or something 4k anyway. The Retina MacBook Pro spoiled me and I'm not spending anything on screens with visible pixels again.

Hypersphere

09 Jul 2014, 23:30

Muirium wrote: Hmm, one of those would be very smart. What do you suggest for a 27 inch display?

http://www.humanscale.com/products/cate ... nitor_arms

I've my sights set on Apple's desktop retina display, when it materialises. Or something 4k anyway. The Retina MacBook Pro spoiled me and I'm not spending anything on screens with visible pixels again.
The Humanscale monitor arms are indeed very smart looking. I have 3 of the M2 models; two holding 24-inch and one holding a 27-inch monitor. My 27-inch is an older Dell, which I think is right up against the weight limit for the M2. However, I think the newer LED monitors would be well under the limit. If you wanted to be really sure, you could go for the bigger M8 model.

DerpyDash_xAD

10 Jul 2014, 03:52

dell has a color accurate 4k 23inch display I believe. I have to say I wouldn't trade my ultrasharp for much, if anything.

czarek

10 Jul 2014, 11:10

If we're talking about smaller screens I totally recommend the one I'm currently using - Eizo SX2262W.
22" and 1920x1200 resolution. Very stable picture, looks kinda painted on this screen. Absolutely amazing when coding and it can go very dim when working during the night hours so it's easy on the eyes too. Black levels and contrast unmatched by anything I've seen so far.
I'm using Vim with Gohufont 11 and Wombat 256 color scheme. 1200p resolution fits 95 lines of code + status lines of Vim and tmux in this settings.

Muirium
µ

10 Jul 2014, 12:29

Eizo is there on my list of good gear. I used to lust after their stuff, 20 years ago. Look at that 19" CRT, oh man!

But I'm definitely going to need something that works with Thunderbolt and has a similar DPI to my 2880x1800 MacBook Pro's retina display. I use flipped colours and low brightness qute extensively, and retina is so much better for that. Looking at other displays now just throws me, like going back to 256 colours. There's something fundamentally different.

czarek

10 Jul 2014, 17:30

Muirium wrote: Eizo is there on my list of good gear. I used to lust after their stuff, 20 years ago. Look at that 19" CRT, oh man!

But I'm definitely going to need something that works with Thunderbolt and has a similar DPI to my 2880x1800 MacBook Pro's retina display. I use flipped colours and low brightness qute extensively, and retina is so much better for that. Looking at other displays now just throws me, like going back to 256 colours. There's something fundamentally different.
Eizo has DisplayPort input so will work via Thunderbolt connection. DPI is actually super high for a desktop display (1920x1200 @ 22", gives 102 DPI) - it's a tad higher than my previous screen - Dell U3011 (2560x1600 @ 30", gives about 100 DPI).
To be honest I have mixed feelings about Retina displays in Macs. I love the glossy screens and the resolution allows for super sharp images and text. Quality wise, it's pretty average IPS screen, having a lot of "IPS glow" on black and dark backgrounds when working in the dark, especially when looking from an angle. And Apple desktop screens are even worse. I had 23" Cinema Display long time ago and it was so far the best Apple screen I've seen. Then I "upgraded" it to first LED Cinema Display and it was horrible - not only it failed on me during warranty, but the quality of image was really bad - lots of IPS Glow in the dark, bad looking angles, and the foot was horrible compared to any other screen - no height adjustment, no portrait mode. 27" is slightly better being more modern display, but it's still not a very good screen.

Muirium
µ

10 Jul 2014, 17:47

Apple's current 27" is outdated, anyway. Steve Jobs was still alive when the current model was introduced:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Displays

I just had a look at Eizo's website and I can't even figure out how to see their product line at a glance with resolutions listed. Who cares if I'm "Professional", "Medical", or "Gamer", I want to see the freaking stats! Gah! Reminds me of the product line navigation nightmare Ars Technica's Windows guy had a few years back when buying a high end laptop that wasn't a Mac:

http://daringfireball.net/2011/09/new_apple_advantage

Dear manufacturers: pictures, stats and a buy now button, please. It's not much to ask!

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Jul 2014, 00:51

The best bit with Dell is that the service tag doesn't always bring up the correct machine specification on their website. Should you need to reinstall a Dell PC at any point (for example, drive failure), and don't have the driver DVD to hand, and the drivers offered for the service tag don't work, the only way to figure out what hardware is actually on the motherboard is to get the PCI vendor and device IDs from Device Manager and look them up on pcidatabase.com, and then half the time you still can't figure out what you've got.

USB manages to cough up the product name sometimes so that you know what drivers to install, but onboard PCIe hardware still has no way to read off basic product details.

Dell used to supply driver CDs that covered several machines, and if you stockpile these, you have the joy of realising that many omitted the model numbers. Or you'd have several different CDs for different types of OptiPlex 330, as not every possible combination of hardware for that model was covered by the first CD, or by the second …

If you're looking for a new PC and you want to try out a Linux distro, the resulting mental explosion will rival Buncefield.

At least if kbdb.io ever takes off, it should be fairly easy for people to select a keyboard, even if they can't find a suitable monitor or PC.

As an aside, when I got my LG L2000CP display in 2008, there were at least two other S-IPS 1600×1200 displays on sale that I never even found. At least two of which were still widely sold for several more years, while mine was end of line old stock, and worse, one that went unwanted and unloved by the whole world. That's quite telling of just how painful it actually was to just buy a sensible monitor!

Return to “Gallery”