Topre MD01B0

Topre Enthusiast

26 Jul 2011, 10:27

Some pictures of the Topre MD01B0. It's a pretty uninteresting board and I'm not too fussed about how it feels - if anyone has any picture requests (save opening the board up), then let me know.

Original box (ruined by numerous postage labels and tape):

Box opened, complete with convenient reminders for left and right:

The board itself. My camera has some barrel distortion, but the front edge *is* curved (top edge is straight):

Back label:

PS/2 port and one of the feet extended:

The other side, with cap removed:

I guess that the magic behind the "good feeling of oneness with cup rubber" is in here somewhere:

Keycaps removed:

Closeup of the switch:

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Jul 2011, 12:32

It looks kinda meh like all Topre keyboards which were designed by Topre. I really like the HHKB and the uTron though. I wonder why this is. Probably because Topre makes keyboards for banks and offices and such, while 3rd parties would be looking for a high quality switch/manufacturer for their high quality designs.

Topre Enthusiast

26 Jul 2011, 14:35

I pretty much agree with you. I won't go into too much detail but I've discussed with a Topre rep the situation regarding the availability of their switches. Unfortunately, the answer I got won't impress those eager to see them in 3rd party boards. That could change of course, but I think Topre really want their Realforce line to work.

Crazy9000

27 Jul 2011, 04:45

Do the keys on this have about the same travel distance as the other Topre boards?

woody
Count Troller

27 Jul 2011, 10:04

Key travel seems deceivingly shorter from the pics and the low profile keycap.
But the separation of arrows and navigation cluster just kills this keyboard.

Topre Enthusiast

27 Jul 2011, 11:25

Crazy9000 wrote:Do the keys on this have about the same travel distance as the other Topre boards?
IIRC, the travel on these keys is 3mm. It really feels nothing like your standard Realforce board. The keycaps themselves have a very similar feeling though.

litster

27 Jul 2011, 18:29

Is this a brand new keyboard, or used?

Topre Enthusiast

28 Jul 2011, 01:18

The box had been opened before it was in my possession, but as far as I can tell, the board has never been used.
There's no wear on any of the keys and there's no fluff or dust on the backplate behind the keys. The PS/2 cable looks like it's never been opened and still has the twist-tie around it.

ironman31

29 Jul 2011, 02:12

I really hate the feel of these short throw Topres. Much worse than a scissor switch in my opinion. When I owned my HE0100 I had a bad problem with some of the keys getting jammed due to the lack of any stabilization on any of the small keys.

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2011, 04:46

ironman31 wrote:I really hate the feel of these short throw Topres.
I think the thing that ruins the feel is the 55g weighting. I reckon they would be a lot nicer at around 35-40g.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

30 Jul 2011, 15:15

I pretty much agree with you. I won't go into too much detail but I've discussed with a Topre rep the situation regarding the availability of their switches. Unfortunately, the answer I got won't impress those eager to see them in 3rd party boards. That could change of course, but I think Topre really want their Realforce line to work.
I wonder if Topre knows and/or appreciates that if they halved the price of their boards, that they'd increase sales by well over a factor of two...

Then again, as many of us have speculated, Topre is probably not too interested in targeting us peasants. Unfortunately, it is that sort of mentality that kills companies.

duncan

28 Sep 2011, 09:45

daedalus wrote:
it is that sort of mentality that kills companies.
Sometimes true.
On the other hand it can also be a very effective strategy in creating cachet and false scarcity. Look at how it has been working for Apple recently.

Return to “Gallery”