Siemens SICOMP keyboards

copter
Last Man Standing

20 Jan 2016, 15:14

I found these two today from a site that I was visiting. They are still in production use, but system into which they belong is in a process of renewal and I should get them after couple months when the renewal is completed. I didn't yet have the chance to look into the further as I cannot disconnect or even type them.

Any thoughts?

dzhoou

20 Jan 2016, 17:43

They better be hall effect or I don't see the point :P

Chyros

20 Jan 2016, 18:10

Is this the board that's sometimes on the DT banner? If so, wasn't that a magnetic reed or Hall effect board?

chzel

20 Jan 2016, 18:15

Almost certainly RAFI switches, hall effect
photos-f62/siemens-teleperm-st215-t7710.html

terrycherry

20 Jan 2016, 18:50

Siemens STB11 or STB21 switch.
I have 3of keyboards with different layout but same design keycap. Your keyboard should be use for SIMATIC S5

OleVoip

20 Jan 2016, 19:02

These are Siemens part# 6AC 6971-xxx keyboards that were used with a variety of systems (DS075 terminal, 3975 terminal, PC 16-10 computer). They sport Siemens STB keys and caps in the standard Siemens colour scheme of the period, very similar to that of Tandberg (no coincidence, they developed these together and also electronically the design is basically the same). There is a piezo speaker built-in for beeps and clicks.

The 8x15 matrix is scanned by a 8031 cpu, which translates the read-out into ascii codes and escape sequences and transmits them through a bidirectional X.27 interface with a 15-pin connector. Operating voltage is +5V.

No codes are generated for the modifiers alone; thus, if you'd like to connect them to a PC, you'd need to replace the firmware (or better: replace the controller by a teensy or similar). I've gone through this with a Tandberg board and I can provide you with hints, code and schematics.
Chyros wrote: Is this the board that's sometimes on the DT banner? If so, wasn't that a magnetic reed or Hall effect board?
That's its Norwegian cousin from a Tandberg TDV 2242 terminal.
Last edited by OleVoip on 20 Jan 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

terrycherry

20 Jan 2016, 19:10

OleVoip wrote: No codes a generated for the modifiers alone; thus, if you'd like to connect them to a PC, you'd need to replace the firmware (or better: replace the controller by a teensy or similar). I've gone through this with a Tandberg board and I can provide you with hints, code and schematics.
Hi, OleVoip. Long times no see you around here.
Can my SIMATIC S5 PG685 keyboard use the same code like yours?

copter
Last Man Standing

20 Jan 2016, 19:58

Thanks from all the info. As I have said somewhere earlier, I only collect keyboards that have FI/SE layout. This means that I will keep the first one in pictures and if somebody is interested from the second one, please let me know.

Probably I will equip this board with teensy. If OleVoip can publish his work, that sure would be helpful.

OleVoip

20 Jan 2016, 23:06

I'll see that I publish my mod in the coming weeks.
terrycherry wrote: Can my SIMATIC S5 PG685 keyboard use the same code like yours?
Hi Terrycherry, I can see the resemblance you mean, but technically the PG685 is quite different from the other boards. The PG685 keyboard hasn't got a controller - the matrix leads are routed to the 34-pin connector to be PG device. However, there is enough space inside the case to accommodate a Teensy. Note that, unlike the keyboards above, the PG685 has no diodes inside the switches, so you won't have NKRO.

terrycherry

21 Jan 2016, 03:22

But I can see the diodes inside the STB21 switch. Is it possible have NKRO?

OleVoip

23 Jan 2016, 13:55

If your PG685 board has got diodes inside the switches, you're lucky. The ones I've seen by now hadn't - the switches were of the STB 21 variant with the yellowish cover. Those do have 4 leads, but two of which aren't connected to anything.

Return to “Gallery”