Operation Darling - Local recycling center raid !

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jun 2016, 17:51

Oooh apart from the gems I kept for myself, I sold a couple of the boards I got at a _REALLY_ nice price.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jun 2016, 17:58

The gems are the gems. ;) 8-)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Jun 2016, 19:28

Aaaaw yissss... Mein schaaaaatz...

seebart

21 Jun 2016, 19:31

Wodan wrote: Aaaaw yissss... Mein schaaaaatz...
:?

pyrelink

22 Jun 2016, 04:54

I tried to get in contact with a few recycling centers around me, but the main ones I could find were state run and as such, did not want to negotiate with Keyboard Terrorists like me. Really should take another look to find some privately owned centers. Great hauls you have here so far Wodan, hopefully they send up the keyboard signal soon.

Invisius

27 Jun 2016, 01:55

pyrelink wrote: I tried to get in contact with a few recycling centers around me, but the main ones I could find were state run and as such, did not want to negotiate with Keyboard Terrorists like me. Really should take another look to find some privately owned centers. Great hauls you have here so far Wodan, hopefully they send up the keyboard signal soon.
I had the same bum luck in my area. The govt ones are like maximum security prisons. Even the private centers were really concerned with liability, or already started up greedbay stores of their own. :x

Best I got was some mailing list for pallets of early 2000s dell/HP junk.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 Jun 2016, 15:29

Aw I'm so excited! I got THE CALL today. Next raid is tomorrow! Stay tuned for photos of my mad lewtzz

seebart

27 Jun 2016, 15:32

Wodan wrote: Aw I'm so excited! I got THE CALL today. Next raid is tomorrow! Stay tuned for photos of my mad lewtzz
Good luck!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jun 2016, 12:11

Hey followers ;)

Here's the album with the latest catch:
http://imgur.com/a/b6BS9

Details in the Imgur album, all keyboards have a unique number if you want to discuss/ask/purchase

This time I filmed the whole sorting process and currently upload the video to youtube. Very very boring but a nice insight into how much rubberdoom there is out there. If I do more of these videos, this will become a huge rubberdome reference ;)

Quite a shame this is the second time I came home with ZERO HAD keyboards. Maybe I'm paranoid but there might be someone picking all the HAD boards out :(

Then again, a few nice G80s ... it's all good man.

seebart

28 Jun 2016, 13:22

Very nice, the "Plantron" is another Monterey K104.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jun 2016, 13:48

It's also the first ISO AEKII with white Alps I've seen. So far I only got cream Alps AEKII.
Today was definitly ALPS day! Had another one with crappy alps-mount caps on rubberdome sliders.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jun 2016, 17:41

Me doing it:

need

28 Jun 2016, 17:55

Just wanted to say I watched the whole video in one go...

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jun 2016, 17:56

I am so sorry, when did you stop counting the rubberdome keyboards ?

seebart

28 Jun 2016, 19:04

I'd love to see your face when something like a MX5000 shows up at the bottom of one of those boxes...because you look so bored...box after box...I bet Chyros doesn't do it that orderly. :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jun 2016, 19:39

No real gem in there this time. I did a success-kid move when I found the blue Alps! Too bad it's not on camera :(

Chyros

28 Jun 2016, 21:26

Tbh this is a way bigger haul than I normally get, I'm lucky if I find anything at all :p . I do go more often, though.
seebart wrote: I'd love to see your face when something like a MX5000 shows up at the bottom of one of those boxes...because you look so bored...box after box...I bet Chyros doesn't do it that orderly. :mrgreen:
You are correct :p . I go through them at least four times as quickly and I tend to just toss everything around, I'm nowhere near as respectful to the boards as he is :p . About 90% of the keyboards I don't even press keys on because I know the model to be rubber dome anyway :p . I've gotten fairly decent at recognising dome with slider keyboards by touch too - that said, I usually carry a puller with me. I also chat with the guys at the centre a lot.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Jun 2016, 22:17

Wodan,

Thanks for posting that video. It was pretty interesting and gives some perspective on how many decent keyboards there are in a pile. While a little mundane, you are thinking, "what's the next keyboard going to be?".

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2016, 08:47

Thanks for sharing, and for your dedication to the keyboard cause :mrgreen:

I have a comment on your method, though - from an ergonomics point of view.

The gap between the source box on one side and the target boxes on the other side forces you to move your whole body every time you take a board from one side to the other.
You really "use" that gap only on the few occasions when you put down a board for closer examination, e.g. to pull a keycap, and then you have to lean down to the surface of the table.

I think it would be a better idea to reduce the gap to approx. 20 cm.
Simply transferring a board from the source box to the target box would reduce the movement to involving only your arms, and to check a particular board you would put it down so that it rests in a stable position and comfortable height on the side walls of both boxes.

By the way, are you ambidextrous? If not, perhaps you should reconsider the whole arrangement of the boxes.
Spoiler:
"ambidextrous is not an insult :lol:
it just means being equally able with both hands,
even if the word "ambidextrous" itself is rather an insult to left-handed people,
as it properly means "having two right hands".

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jun 2016, 10:30

Heh thanks for all the encouraging feedback ;)

I am actually left handed ... *silence* ... hehehe

The setup I'm using seems to be some personal preference. I just feel like needing a comfortable plot of free space right in front of me to keep things clear and clean. I'll actually try a setup where the red boxes are right next to each other and there is a comfortable gap between them and my blue treasure chest. Should speed up things considerably.

And well it also seems to be some kind of OCD that I have to push a button on almost EVERY keyboard I touch. I mean I even push in the HP keyboards!

Maybe I have some sick rubberdome fetish that I'm unaware of ... stay tuned for my rubberdome-coming-out.

Chyros

29 Jun 2016, 10:34

kbdfr wrote: Thanks for sharing, and for your dedication to the keyboard cause :mrgreen:

I have a comment on your method, though - from an ergonomics point of view.

The gap between the source box on one side and the target boxes on the other side forces you to move your whole body every time you take a board from one side to the other.
You really "use" that gap only on the few occasions when you put down a board for closer examination, e.g. to pull a keycap, and then you have to lean down to the surface of the table.

I think it would be a better idea to reduce the gap to approx. 20 cm.
Simply transferring a board from the source box to the target box would reduce the movement to involving only your arms, and to check a particular board you would put it down so that it rests in a stable position and comfortable height on the side walls of both boxes.

By the way, are you ambidextrous? If not, perhaps you should reconsider the whole arrangement of the boxes.
Spoiler:
"ambidextrous is not an insult :lol:
it just means being equally able with both hands,
even if the word "ambidextrous" itself is rather an insult to left-handed people,
as it properly means "having two right hands".
This is the most German post I have seen in my life :lol: .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jun 2016, 10:37

Chyros wrote: This is the most German post I have seen in my life :lol: .
Oh wow Europe has really grown together :lol:
I'll leave it to kbdfr to comment on his heritage here ;)

Chyros

29 Jun 2016, 11:33

Wodan wrote:
Don't take that post too seriously, obviously :lol: .

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Jun 2016, 11:40

Chyros wrote:
Wodan wrote:
Don't take that post too seriously, obviously :lol: .
The real funny thing about that is that as a matter of fact,
Spoiler:
[inserting text here just in order to conceal the spoiler's content, which otherwise would appear in the "spy" view]

well, the real funny thing about that is that as a matter of fact,

I am French.

:lol:

t!ng
Awake Sheep

29 Jun 2016, 12:02

Ah so that is fr standing for in your name... I have always read it as "keyboardfreak" hahahahsry

Oh and the video was interesting... And funny when you fastforward it with Right-Arrow by 5 seconds... Watching those Keyboards in the right box"Disappear" heheheh

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jun 2016, 12:02

My reaction when I realized that:
Spoiler:

seebart

29 Jun 2016, 13:23

Chyros wrote: I also chat with the guys at the centre a lot.
That's where you get your swearing skills. :mrgreen:

Chyros

29 Jun 2016, 13:58

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: I also chat with the guys at the centre a lot.
That's where you get your swearing skills. :mrgreen:
No way a Brit can keep up with the foul-mouthed vocab of someone like me :p .

Halvar

29 Jun 2016, 22:16

But ... why didn't you take that blue Alps board? :o

(naaah, just joking ... calming video!)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Aug 2016, 17:59

Next raid tomorrow at oh-five-hundred!

Naw probably more like ten-ish ...

Return to “Gallery”