AT&T 305B (?) Industrial & TXMIT Trip Keyboards

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 May 2016, 22:53

It's time for a reveal: the secret, lighter press-force buckling spring keyboard I was talking about on the TXMIT thread is the AT&T KBD 305B.

I tried XMIT's and immediately wanted one. After some intense eBay watching, I snagged an AT&T keyboard for $60 total. It looked like a 305B, but I think it's different -- the lack of a specific model # doesn't help with identification. It also has some unique quirks.

For one thing, it weighs a hair over 5 pounds without its cable (which sports a 6p6c modular connector < PS/2 connector layout). YES, that is two ounces more than a Model M (!), which comes in at 4 pounds 14 ounces without a cable. My AT&T also has a greyish bottom case half, which isn't normal for 305B models.

I think that the press-force is equivalent to a Model M -- perhaps XMIT's was an outlier in that its springs were light. Or, perhaps, the plastic is smoother? Tolerance on different production runs was likely lax in any case. I'll get out my force gauge to do basic peak force testing. Click sound is divergent from Model Ms. It's much less "thocky" because of the thicker metal backplate. It seems like a cross between Model Fs and Model Ms, which is something that I don't mind at all. It gives an exceptionally solid typing experience. That is primarily due to its weight and backplate thickness.

I think I'll give this model a cool provisional name... I present the AT&T 305 Industrial!

(which is what I'll call it until someone corrects me)

I sourced a one piece space bar and some control keys from a Model M. The space bar was two piece, interestingly enough. It really muted the click. I don't really like the light texture on the caps -- I might migrate to a complete Model M cap set at some point. We'll see.

Look at that beautiful curved body with angular case edges. Yum.

The back. Note the lack of an FCC ID.

Topless -- I'm not a fan of white plates, but whatever. The 'board comes apart easily. Three screws hold the top plate on. A simple tilt and push removes the front latches.

The bottom of the top half.

The plate, which is immensely thick and (remarkably) doesn't have missing rivets. AT&T's plastic composition or tooling might have been better than IBM's.

The inside of the bottom half.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the keyboards from my TXMIT trip. A link to that thread can be found below.

(keyboards-f2/txmit-ohaimark-s-austin-ke ... 13550.html)

ADDS 1010 with linear White Space Invaders.

JIT keyboard without a proper model number. Its white KPT clones are insanely clicky. Why? I think the click leaf gradually bends backwards with use, eventually allowing the entire leaf to move inside the switch housing. The click leaf then slaps the side of the housing when it pops off the slider.

Tandy 3000 keyboard with Fujitsu Linears. Holy smooth keyswitches, batman! These keyboards come with factory applied lube. They are, without contest, the smoothest switches I've used. Green Alps and Vintage Blacks have nothing on them. This keyboard is also unusual because its keycaps don't have the typical "tombstone" Fujitsu profile.

Siig Minitouch. Monterey Blues. Typical, but nice, keyboard fare.

Last edited by ohaimark on 03 May 2016, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 May 2016, 22:59

Nice score, so the Tandy 3000 has Fujitsu leaf spring 2nd / 3rd gen? Your AT&T KBD 305B "rambling" needs to be proven, Mr. Beardsmore would call you out on that. :mrgreen: My fave is the ADDS 1010 though.

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 May 2016, 23:04

Yeah, it's unsubstantiated rambling. I'll gladly hear corrections, though. :lol:

Fujitsu Leaf spring 3rd Gen., I believe. I edited to say they were Fujitsu switches right before you commented. The integrated LED lighted sliders are wonky looking.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 May 2016, 23:07

I actually really like the case and caps for the AT&T board. Gonna have to nab one of those at some point.

Also I have one of those ADDS boards but in green alps not space invaders.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 May 2016, 23:12

Oh did not mean that I don't believe you, but I'm guessing AT&T had a these produced in large numbers over years which then leads me to guess there may have been different revisions and even different models that may look very similair. We'll find out eventually I'm sure. Yeah Fujitsu leaf spring is a strange switch, I need to get out that strange Japanese board of mine, I don't even have a picture of it. That TXMIT trip of yours was a worth it, no doubt. Nice.

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 May 2016, 23:34

I just tested the switches with a press-force tester using a peak compression measurement in gram-force. It appears that the AT&T keyboard is lighter on the downstroke than my Model M, which may not be representative of all Model Ms, by approximately 5-10 gf on most keys.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 May 2016, 04:19

Interesting. One more thing to add to the list of things I need to try.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

04 May 2016, 14:18

Glad you finally found your AT&T board!

alienman82

06 May 2016, 17:02

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 May 2016, 18:46

ohaimark forgot to mention that the MiniTouch came pre-converted with a Pro Micro and an internal Soarer's Converter. There was *barely* enough space for it in there.

ohaimark
Kingpin

06 May 2016, 22:01

Hmm. Yeah, the USB connector in that photo must have confused a few people.

terrycherry

25 Jul 2016, 06:39

Thanks for recommend me on this thread.
Did you have the pin out to PS/2? My KBD 305 connector was cut out by someone.
Talk bout the ADDS 1010 keyboard. Is it an all white Hi-Tek 725series switch keyboard?(one eye/new two eyes/two laugh eyes/two big eyes/two small eyes)
I'm still doing some information about all Hi-Tek 725series switch on which keyboard models and variants.

Return to “Gallery”