Albert computer - SMK

snuci
Vintage computer guy

01 Aug 2016, 21:50

Below are some pictures of my Albert computer. This computer is an Apple II clone that was made by a clone manufacturer that had been strong-armed by Apple back in the day. The keyboard is made by SMK and is in an all-metal case. The odd part is that I cannot remove the keyboard mechanism from the case because it won't fit outside of the bottom. It's almost as if the case was built around the keyboard mechanism. I don't get it.

Anyway, here are some pics. Nice compact keyboard for 1983.
Albert computer - keyboard side profile
Albert computer - keyboard side profile
Albert computer - keyboard side profile.JPG (151.7 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard front
Albert computer - keyboard front
Albert computer - keyboard front.JPG (190.25 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard back
Albert computer - keyboard back
Albert computer - keyboard back.JPG (173.88 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard profile
Albert computer - keyboard profile
Albert computer - keyboard profile.JPG (206.43 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard connector
Albert computer - keyboard connector
Albert computer - keyboard connector.JPG (223.11 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard internals
Albert computer - keyboard internals
Albert computer - keyboard internals.JPG (381.17 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - keyboard encoder
Albert computer - keyboard encoder
Albert computer - keyboard encoder.JPG (462.49 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - SMK key switches
Albert computer - SMK key switches
Albert computer - SMK key switches.JPG (310.71 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - key caps
Albert computer - key caps
Albert computer - key caps.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5384 times
Albert computer - system
Albert computer - system
Albert computer - system.JPG (310.51 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

elecplus

01 Aug 2016, 21:52

That's neat! And named after Mr. Einstein, too!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

01 Aug 2016, 21:56

Forgot to add: There are some more pics on my site: http://vintagecomputer.ca/albert-computer/

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Aug 2016, 22:02

Albert used a 60%, love it. ;) The fact you have all those accessories for it is brilliant.

emdude
Model M Apologist

01 Aug 2016, 22:06

Yes! It's a very elegant-looking keyboard indeed! :)

alh84001
v.001

02 Aug 2016, 01:11

Very pleasant to the eye. But that right shift is waaaay on the right. And we've seen that longer Q on some other keybard recently as well if I'm not mistaken.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

02 Aug 2016, 01:20

alh84001 wrote: And we've seen that longer Q on some other keybard recently as well if I'm not mistaken.
You are right. It was on the Alps AKB-3420 and why I originally thought it was a similar Alps keyboard assembly before it arrived. I think one or the other took inspiration from the other.

Chyros

02 Aug 2016, 01:34

Beautiful, and looks like it's in amazing condition, too :) .

LewisR

02 Aug 2016, 06:31

It is very pretty. That's the first time I recall seeing a "caps unlock" key.

terrycherry

02 Aug 2016, 06:48

God, you got the full set of it. Glad to see the SMK vintage linear with (Linear)Black slider(upright).
I think this keyboard at least having 3 variants switch under all big keycaps.
Could you mind to pull out all keycaps?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

02 Aug 2016, 15:42

terrycherry wrote: Could you mind to pull out all keycaps?
This has three variants. The Shift key and the Space bar are different than the other keys. I didn't really want to pull all key caps but since you asked, here it is. Space bar and shift keys are shown also.
Attachments
Albert computer - keyboard with key caps removed
Albert computer - keyboard with key caps removed
Albert computer - keyboard ith key caps removed.JPG (206.04 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

cookie

06 Aug 2016, 00:05

Very great board!

terrycherry

08 Aug 2016, 19:52

I appreciate it. Glad you always help me out.
That should be the first time to see the white variant of SMK vintage linear(although I knew there have the white clone of it)
and the (Linear)Brown slider begie shell(upright) with the external spring.(Look like the early Futaba clicky switch with external spring on the NEC keyboard!)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

08 Aug 2016, 20:20

No problem. I actually wasn't sure if the spring was in the right place at first. I thought it might go with the space bar but it did not. The filler switch next the the white space bar switch is a stopper that stops the space bar from travelling any further. down That's a first for me. The beige/brown switch works fine without the extra external spring but it does help in case you hit the Enter key on the left side. I also tried it on the left side and that wasn't as good as putting it on the actual right side beige/brown switch.

ideus

09 Aug 2016, 01:02

A full large key for Caps Unlock only? wow! what a waste of keyboard real state.

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 02:37

How the hell did you find this? I've never even heard of it - and I've gone through hundreds of vintage computer magazines.

This is quite a slim keyboard for 1983. I noticed this is the earlier SMK font, with the wavy Q and flat-top three. In 1984 SMK changed it to a straight Q and rounded 3. (a pointless observation, but still...)

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jun 2017, 09:45

Did SMK make their keycaps in-house? The details changed over time, but they generally always had a solid (not a grille) first shot. A change of typeface would suggest a change of OEM. Did any other structural details change along with the typeface, or did they really just feel a need to redo two characters?

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 14:07

The font is different. It's just that the Q and 3 are most noticeable. You're right. They probably switched suppliers. The underside of the keycap is completely different and the profile is different.

Here's a photo of the underside of the "9" key of two SMK Kaypro keyboards, 1984 on the left, 1982 on the right:
SMK keycaps.JPG

Chyros

14 Jun 2017, 15:39

The one on the left looks like Costar.

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jun 2017, 21:07

You mean Comptec.

Neither keycap looks like SMK to me. SMK typically have a solid or near-solid first shot:

wiki/Double-shot_moulding#SMK

The second one is curious — it's rather Comptec-like.

mr_a500

14 Jun 2017, 21:27

The blue keypad keycaps on the 1982 Kaypro SMK are different from the black ones - much thicker and with more white on the inside of the keycap. The keycap on the right is from the 1984 Kaypro Maxi Switch keyboard.
Kaypro keycaps.JPG
As I mentioned in my Kaypro thread, the Maxi Switch font is identical to the 1984 SMK font - the only difference being a "BELL" on the G key.

consolation

15 Jun 2017, 00:15

I had a Taiwanese clone of an Apple //+ (Cosmo) when I was a kid; it had the same extra large "Q" key; despite using a typical looking //+ case - does anyone know what that was about? Back then, I assumed it was made by someone unfamiliar with the Latin alphabet assuming Q was a function key. This is what it looked like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Cosmo.jpg but with Q bigger so it lined up with 1 and ctrl and escape between the power and space bar.
I'm 99% certain that has the correct logo too, but, as I don't speak chinese I can't guarantee it, we were told it was a Cosmo when my family got it from a dodgy newspaper classified. It went for years without any issues; till my parents gave it away when I left for uni. :cry:

Anyway, does anybody know if there was a real "reason" for fat "Q" ?

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Jun 2017, 00:17

The 1984 SMK and Maxi-Switch keycaps are Comptec. The Kaypro 4 keycaps are the same as the BBC Micro, which also largely used "Comtec" [sic] keycaps: http://goughlui.com/2012/12/01/tech-fla ... -kaypro-4/

The blue keycap is the same as on Jacob#1's Billings keyboard made by Maxi-Switch:

photos-f62/presenting-teh-blingings-t2931.html

So that keycap series is shared between the two brands, further suggesting that Maxi-Switch was related to SMK in some manner.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jun 2017, 12:42

While my Maxi-Switch keycaps do look similair they are not the same:
IMG_20160920_143501.jpg
IMG_20160920_143501.jpg (911.53 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

mr_a500

15 Jun 2017, 16:26

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The 1984 SMK and Maxi-Switch keycaps are Comptec. The Kaypro 4 keycaps are the same as the BBC Micro, which also largely used "Comtec" [sic] keycaps: http://goughlui.com/2012/12/01/tech-fla ... -kaypro-4/

The blue keycap is the same as on Jacob#1's Billings keyboard made by Maxi-Switch:

photos-f62/presenting-teh-blingings-t2931.html

So that keycap series is shared between the two brands, further suggesting that Maxi-Switch was related to SMK in some manner.
So Comptec made keycaps for both the 1984 SMK and 1984 Maxi Switch and you're saying Maxi Switch themselves made the thick keycaps on the 1982 SMK and Billings Maxi Switch keyboard, right? Who made the thin keycaps on the 1982 SMK? Maxi Switch? Does this mean that by 1984, Maxi Switch stopped making keycaps and they just went with Comptec?

I read the Wiki stuff on Comptec. Fascinating. So they also made the AWC and WYSE keycaps (among others). And it was a Canadian company. (yay! Image )

Great research there! 8-)

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Jun 2017, 23:21

Comptec was Canadian, but the keycap plant was American.

seebart's keycaps are probably Comptec.

The 1982 Kaypro keycaps (fat blue/medium black) and the Billings keycaps appear to be from the same company, but neither type matches keycaps on other SMK keyboards.

We already have reason to believe that SMK made the "NEC vintage linear" switches, as the PCB of that keyboard had SMK markings on it. So if SMK could make NEC-branded switches, they could have been a subcontractor to Maxi-Switch. We may never know.

It's like General Instrument S950 series — they seem to use genuine Alps parts inside, but they take different keycaps.

Many unsolved mysteries remain.

Return to “Gallery”