Datacomp keyboard with green alps

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

24 Nov 2016, 18:32

Notice that someone repaired the cracked pcb with solder bridges.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Nov 2016, 18:37

Nice, now we have the conformation that it's the DFK-515AT1.

Chyros

24 Nov 2016, 19:10

Noice! These are really cool boards :) .

Note that not ALL DFK-515s came with green Alps.

seebart

24 Nov 2016, 19:13

Chyros wrote: Noice! These are really cool boards :) .

Note that not ALL DFK-515s came with green Alps.
That's right:
Scarpia wrote: It arrived. And they are NOT scratchy! In fact, with the build quality and heavy metal backplate of this thing, it feels and sounds amazing.
Too bad I can't use the layout, or this would stay in one piece. As it sits though, it is a phenomenal source of smooth Alps SKCM Blues. Good times.

A few potato pictures for good measure:

More pictures here

Scarpia

24 Nov 2016, 19:31

Yes, mine had blues. And based on this thread on /r/MechanicalKeyboards some people seem to think those always came with blue Alps, which evidently isn't true.

Someone with wiki-skills should add a quick little page for the Datacomp DFK-515 model(s)

seebart

24 Nov 2016, 19:33

Scarpia wrote: Yes, mine had blues. And based on this thread on /r/MechanicalKeyboards some people seem to think those always came with blue Alps, which evidently isn't true.

Someone with wiki-skills should add a quick little page for the Datacomp DFK-515 model(s)
I can do that but it won't be quick or little... :maverick:

E3E

26 Nov 2016, 17:19

Neat looking little board. I think the green Alps model is probably harder to find than the likely often more desirable blue Alps model.

It isn't often that you see an Alps Electric double shot BAE key. :D Weird mix of pad printed keys too. :o

Chyros

26 Nov 2016, 17:27

E3E wrote: Neat looking little board.
I know it doesn't look especially that big, but it's surprisingly huge. They're definitely cool boards though, quite unique in several ways.

E3E

26 Nov 2016, 17:52

Chyros wrote:
I know it doesn't look especially that big, but it's surprisingly huge. They're definitely cool boards though, quite unique in several ways.
Oh do you have one as well, Chyros?

I can imagine it's pretty large when you take the separation of different areas on the keyboard, but I swear that keyboard pictures are always a bit deceiving. Keyboards either look larger or smaller than they actually are in person, haha.

Chyros

26 Nov 2016, 18:20

E3E wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Oh do you have one as well, Chyros?

I can imagine it's pretty large when you take the separation of different areas on the keyboard, but I swear that keyboard pictures are always a bit deceiving. Keyboards either look larger or smaller than they actually are in person, haha.
I found one at the recycling centre a while ago. Mine has blue Alps too. I'll be doing a video about it sometime in the future, definitely a fun board.

It's really big, though, over half a metre in length. Here it is compared to an (already massive) Bigfoot:

E3E

26 Nov 2016, 19:01

Very cool. It's probably the biggest "fullsize" I've ever seen (not counting "oversized" boards like F122s). It's pretty funny that it has all of that real estate, but really isn't putting much of it to good use.

I'd love to have the green Alps version, just because it's different, and I'm a sucker for the left-field variants. :P Plus, I already have enough blue Alps boards. I've never owned a green Alps keyboard (typewriters don't count!).

This thing must weigh a ton though.

Chyros

26 Nov 2016, 19:46

E3E wrote: Very cool. It's probably the biggest "fullsize" I've ever seen (not counting "oversized" boards like F122s). It's pretty funny that it has all of that real estate, but really isn't putting much of it to good use.

I'd love to have the green Alps version, just because it's different, and I'm a sucker for the left-field variants. :P Plus, I already have enough blue Alps boards. I've never owned a green Alps keyboard (typewriters don't count!).

This thing must weigh a ton though.
Yeah, I think it might be the biggest PC keyboard I own. It's 2.5 kilos including the cable, by the way.

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 16:39

Here's a closeup of the PCB from my Blue Alps one (and more images here):

alh84001
v.001

08 Dec 2016, 21:10

@E3E take a look at displaywriter model f keyboard for a comparably big keyboard with, arguably, even less of it put to use.

seebart

25 Dec 2016, 21:35

Scarpia wrote: Someone with wiki-skills should add a quick little page for the Datacomp DFK-515 model(s)
wiki/Datacomp_DFK515

:ugeek:

Return to “Gallery”