GOUPIL G5.S86 84T new in box!

Orpheo

20 Jan 2017, 17:06

I just received this and am very glad I did!
post350411.html#p350411

It looks like it's made by Chicony and looks like a KB 5160 but with different switch. But I just saw a twin brother Chicony in XMIT collection photos this morning.

I like the switches a great deal ^^ still need to receive the DIN to PS/2 adapter in order to test this. It looks like an AT keyboard so PS/2 compatible. The issue with hitting the key off centered is not reproductible on this keyboard but if you really want to do it you need to press slowly on the edge of the "A" key and it's not smooth and a bit stuck like in Chyros hypnotic voice video. Still the keyboard is moslty plastic and so the switch are pretty loud, but it has that great vintage feel, especially the huge spacebar, very nice!
It's all doubleshot, very nice keycap :mrgreen:

Last edited by Orpheo on 20 Jan 2017, 18:07, edited 4 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jan 2017, 17:23

Orpheo wrote: I just received this and am very glad I did!
You should be! :P Félicitations à vous! :mrgreen:

Orpheo

20 Jan 2017, 17:32

Thanks Seebart! I love the look and layout!

need

20 Jan 2017, 18:48

What's the reason in getting a DIN to PS/2 instead of DIN to USB ?

Chyros

20 Jan 2017, 20:01

Actually I'd say it looks much more like a Tai-Hao or SKB 5150, but with a black case. Looks incredibly awesome, great find! ^^

Menuhin

20 Jan 2017, 20:34

Is this real?
A vintage NIB terminal keyboard that has a dark grey / black case that some of the 21st century kids like me prefer, and it is not IBM M13 or IBM Industrial. Can feel like a dream to unbox it - almost bringing you back to the past.
Congrats!

Orpheo

20 Jan 2017, 21:48

I didn't find a cheap DIN to USB that's all :)
As for the keyboard its actually dark grey, you can see the difference in color with the nice matte black cable. I will looking into the Tai Hao and SKB thanks Chyros!
The keys, the case, the cable, they just look immaculate. This is kind of special and I don't "hunt" for NIB collectibles (are keyboards collectibles by the way? Should you ask your other half! :)) But I conceide this is kind of a nice experience, especially when it's cheap :oops: :lol:
I would say the keycaps are behind Cherry for their thickness but the detail of the ABS shots, the texture are up there. It looks like they copy the Cherry font but still have the right angle font.
I love the Goupil family especially the Cherry ones. They are like Fender tube amps, when you think about it, it's like heaven and makes you happy :)
This one is special because I have never saw one until this one. Then after a lot of search I found a photo of one but it's pretty rare. The most common G5 computer Goupil keyboard is a G81 one I believe. Goupil was knowed to outsource many of the parts or even entire computer to OEM. This one seems like the first keyboard they release the G5 with so it's from 1988 or 1987.

Ail

20 Jan 2017, 22:22

Wow that is fantastic! I love that case, great find, dude. :-o

need

20 Jan 2017, 22:25

Orpheo wrote: I love the Goupil family especially the Cherry ones. They are like Fender tube amps, when you think about it, it's like heaven and makes you happy :)
Is it the colorway and retro branding of GOUPIL that makes you happy? I don't know anything about tube amps, only thing I know is that Fender is a well respected brand name within the industry.

Orpheo

20 Jan 2017, 23:52

Fender are kind of "state of the art" but with limitation due to the age of their design. Still the best sound in guitar amplification today, but some caveat depending on models and so on.

The Goupils, and this one has lots not going for it. It doesn't feel sturdy, it's not metal at all, (but the keyboard really feel comfy, the whole unit makes you wanna to hug it). Maybe it's some kind of charm. Like those old Fenders. It just works.

The switches are very interesting to type on. I find them more confortable, giving the best feedback due to their extreme tactility, light feel, and that the tactile bump is at the very top. I say this as I type this on my HHKB ProJP, I can feel the advantage of the Mitsumi switches on some levels (for precision's sake I should say that I have Brother typewriter's triple shots on my HHKB :).
First the Mitsumi in the Goupil feels more confortable and lighter. The tactility is more abrupt, I mean it is less transitional. This give a better feedback so you feel more confident and type faster.
On the other end, it's kinda loud making the plastic case resonate and the sound of the keycaps and the Mitsumi is not the best or IBM'ish at all. But it sounds so 80's, I swear! I cannot explain that but this sound is so familiar, it just sound like a classic keyboard, amazing :)

The cuteness of the Goupil is sure very photogenic due to the dark grey case,
Fender amp is too much of a comparaison thinking about it. They are the best. This Goupil is not, but it's special!

Return to “Gallery”