Cherry B4VB-5601 Solid State Capacitive

Engicoder

28 Jun 2017, 20:41

An interesting keyboard that I thought might be Key Tronic until I pulled a keycap; turns out it was Cherry foam and foil (aka Solid State Capacitive) The keyboard is part of the Kroy 80K "Keyboard Lettering System" which is a mammoth 1980's label maker; kind of like a giant mechanized DYMO label maker.

A sticker on the switch plate has an 8428 date code, which would be July, 1984.

Wikified here: wiki/Cherry_B4VB-5601

zslane

28 Jun 2017, 20:45

Those sphericals are amazing! I love those red front legends too. Very, very cool.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jun 2017, 20:51

Those are some of the nicest sphericals I've seen here in a long time, brilliant color combination. Really nice find congrats! Thanks for the wiki work.

Engicoder

28 Jun 2017, 20:52

zslane wrote: Those sphericals are amazing! I love those red front legends too. Very, very cool.
They are actually pink :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jun 2017, 20:54

OK pink legends, so the alphas are grey or blueish? They look a bit blue to me?

Engicoder

28 Jun 2017, 21:03

seebart wrote: OK pink legends, so the alphas are grey or blueish? They look a bit blue to me?
Yes, depending on lighting the color varies from blue to grey.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Jun 2017, 21:35

Very nice find indeed!

The front legends are pad-printed, I guess?

Engicoder

28 Jun 2017, 21:41

ramnes wrote: The front legends are pad-printed, I guess?
Yes, here is the back side of one of the caps with side legends:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Jun 2017, 22:43

That keyboard is a beauty! Always love to see new switch types from Cherry. Cool colour scheme too.

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Jun 2017, 00:40

Aha, at long last, photos of the original version. Some already exist, but now we have our very own, and in far more detail.

Engicoder

29 Jun 2017, 04:44

Snuci posted a a black stemmed version of the same switch last year
photos-f62/vintage-cherry-solid-state-c ... 12584.html

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Jun 2017, 11:44

Engicoder wrote: Snuci posted a a black stemmed version of the same switch last year
photos-f62/vintage-cherry-solid-state-c ... 12584.html
Ha! I had forgotten about those switches but definitely not that keyboard :) That CDC keyboard is one of my favourites. Thanks for finding the association.

clickityClackity

01 Jul 2017, 05:29

Funny, just saw this post and earlier today I noticed that an old foam and foil board I have was from Cherry, which I did not know they made. I'll try to snap some pictures in a bit and throw them up. Do yours fit MX switches? I think mine has a different connector type...

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

terrycherry

03 Jul 2017, 09:49

Wow, god great found! What difference about the green one?
clickityClackity: Will pm you later about info the televideo keyboard. I have did lots of research and own these keyboard before. That's what I need to explain or proof something correct.

Return to “Gallery”