My most Cherryfic find yet

Grond

16 Jan 2012, 23:55

I just got my hands on a pretty nice find. I'll be revealing it tomorrow... for now you can get this pic as a teaser!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Since the photo is far from great, I'll give you a hint: that is not black. ;)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Jan 2012, 00:07

My wallet is ready

guilleguillaume

17 Jan 2012, 00:14

Those look pretty thick. Do you only have one of those Cherryfic finds?

mintberryminuscrunch

17 Jan 2012, 00:30

olivetti :D

HoboBob

17 Jan 2012, 01:39

I'd say old Olivetti based on a G81, using vintage MY switches. Although, the Enter key doesn't match the one from your latest Olivetti post in the Classified. That one was straight... So you got another one of those? :D

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 12:17

Yes! I've been keeping my eyes open for Olivetti keyboards lately, looking for a rare board like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 448wt_1189

Well I've been so lucky I found two! And in different flavours.

They are G81-3000 with two different kinds of cherry MY switches and different stabilizers. The black switches feel much better than the whites.

Olivetti called them "KBD 2812".
And now the best part: keycaps. Both keyboards have blue lettering.

Dye-subs with nonstandard font.

Thick double shots with standard cherry font. I've never seen them filled in blue before!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Jan 2012, 12:34

Very cool! Nice haul.

Makes you wonder why they made the CTRL key non-standard on both boards. I have also seen this done on a single other Cherry board from the late 80s.

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 13:01

Wiki updated!
Btw, can you tell the year of manufacturing by the label?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Jan 2012, 13:15

The second one (2nd label picture) is made in the 27th week of 1990. The other one is impossible to tell, but it will be later, since it already says "Germany" instead of "West Germany".

To find out for sure, you can open the case and look for a stamp in the inside of the top and/or bottom case. There likely is one.

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 13:23

The second picture refers to the double-shots, white MY keyboard. I thought it was newer than the dye sub one, aren't the black MYs older stuff?
Anyway I opened the other keyboard, but no stamp was found.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

17 Jan 2012, 13:41

Both switch types seem to have co-existed for quite a while. Though the black ones were definitely the ones to come out first.

If there are no stamps, you can also take a look at the molding marks in the top case. There should be several circles with little arrows pointing at them. Cherry used these to indicate when the case was molded. Usually this was about a month or two before the actual keyboard was assembled.

For reference:

Stamps

Molding Arrows

mintberryminuscrunch

17 Jan 2012, 13:41

Grond wrote:The second picture refers to the double-shots, white MY keyboard. I thought it was newer than the dye sub one, aren't the black MYs older stuff?
Anyway I opened the other keyboard, but no stamp was found.
the case should have the date imprinted in a circle with the year in the middle and month around it like on a clock
edit: see above

edit2: btw great find. keep it for a rainy day

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 13:45

I found the circles. They say 4-90 (for the dye-sub one) and 6-90 (for the double-shot one).

HoboBob

17 Jan 2012, 14:21

Nice loot indeed.

Now, all I want is a dye-sub with original Cherry font in blue. Mix those two together -somehow- ... maybe I'm just asking too much :D.

It's sad that is it so hard to get nice stuff like that here, in good ol' america ¬_¬;. It's either IBM buckling or Razer BS (not buckling spring).

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 14:36

HoboBob wrote:It's sad that is it so hard to get nice stuff like that here, in good ol' america ¬_¬;
They're quite hard to find here, too. I had to wait several months before finding my first set of italian double shots, and they came from america! :mrgreen:

Anyway, if anyone is interested in one of the keyboards/keycaps, I'm open to offers. Otherwise I'll probably end up trashing the keyboards and keep the keycaps only.

HoboBob

17 Jan 2012, 14:54

Grond wrote:They're quite hard to find here, too. I had to wait several months before finding my first set of italian double shots, and they came from america! :mrgreen:
Haha nice. All the Olivetti I've seen are typewriters or domes. Well played. :lol:

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 15:02

Olivetti used to be big on typewriters. I guess they just didn't manage to keep it up with computers.

Findecanor

17 Jan 2012, 20:55

Grond wrote:Anyway, if anyone is interested in one of the keyboards/keycaps, I'm open to offers. Otherwise I'll probably end up trashing the keyboards and keep the keycaps only.
The cases are of good quality otherwise, twice as thick plastic as modern G80/G81-3000s. Too bad that the innards of modern G80-3000's are so different. The guts may fit, but the LEDs are not aligned and the modern PCBs rely on details that are not there.
I put the guts from a Chicony 5181 into one of these cases -- that made it a better keyboard.

xbb

17 Jan 2012, 20:56

noooo don't trash T_T

JBert

17 Jan 2012, 21:08

The black MYs should be halfway decent - these would seem to bind less and hence give a smoother typing experience. Still way too stiff for my taste though.

BiNiaRiS

17 Jan 2012, 21:16

Findecanor wrote:
Grond wrote:Anyway, if anyone is interested in one of the keyboards/keycaps, I'm open to offers. Otherwise I'll probably end up trashing the keyboards and keep the keycaps only.
The cases are of good quality otherwise, twice as thick plastic as modern G80/G81-3000s. Too bad that the innards of modern G80-3000's are so different. The guts may fit, but the LEDs are not aligned and the modern PCBs rely on details that are not there.
I put the guts from a Chicony 5181 into one of these cases -- that made it a better keyboard.
The older G80-3000 boards should fit it with no issues. Just grab one of the easy to find German PCBs and you'll be set since the layout is the same.

Grond

17 Jan 2012, 23:11

The black MYs don't feel like typing on a dead dog, but they're still far from great. Maybe I'll try to put some g80-3000 guts inside in the future, but the cases would need some retrobrighting, I don't know if I want to mess with that stuff.

BiNiaRiS

18 Jan 2012, 08:58

Grond wrote:The black MYs don't feel like typing on a dead dog, but they're still far from great. Maybe I'll try to put some g80-3000 guts inside in the future, but the cases would need some retrobrighting, I don't know if I want to mess with that stuff.
Those cases look good to me. They were never 100% white, more of an ivory/beige color. The only thing those cases have going is the blue led cover.

Try and score one of the cool NCR industrial grey/olive cases. I have a G80 guts in one and it's awesome.

Grond

18 Jan 2012, 10:44

How about this?

BiNiaRiS

18 Jan 2012, 11:09

That 11800 does not deserve such awesome caps. There's only a few boards those caps should be allowed to be on.

#1 The Phantom
#2 G80 Guts
#3 Any Korean custom board (but they might all be ANSI)

Can't think of anything else.

Grond

18 Jan 2012, 11:49

I wish I could afford a phantom!

mintberryminuscrunch

18 Jan 2012, 13:35

I'll trade you a phantom PCB for one of those keyboards :-o

Grond

18 Jan 2012, 13:55

I would accept if I could solder! But I will consider cash if you want to offer. :)
EDIT: Now on marketplace http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1835

Return to “Gallery”