Micro Switch RW 10036/7 MS11059C ?, SW Keyboard Pair (50+ photos)

fricked

21 Dec 2021, 00:02

As a Micro Switch addict I was very pleased to acquire these beauties:

The one with fewer keys uses Micro Switch KB magnetic reed switches (presumably this keyboard module is RW series, though there are no such markings) and the other one is SW

I'm pretty sure Micro Switch produced these entire keyboards, as I have seen these enclosures on keyboards in Micro Switch adverts, as well as 5 from various sources. One of them had a date code sticker that looked very Micro Switch-esque. The metal bottom case has many mounting options (presumably to customize at customer request) and the plastic top case just needs a cutout to match the configuration.

RW:

There are no identifying markings on the keyboard module other than 10036 and 10037.
The only date codes are on the switches, which are 6745 (45th week of 1967). I can only see a couple switch date codes without desoldering but they are all 6745.

Overal construction
Spoiler:
Keyboard Module
The switches feel very similar to SW, maybe a bit more bindy. But I'll wait until I lube one before I form my opinion on them.
Spoiler:

2-of-N
Keycaps
The keycaps are noteworthy because...
Spoiler:

They are made by IBM!

These are the only two made by Micro Switch:
The oldest Micro Switch sphericals I have seen. They are double shot but engraved.

The IBM ones are all double shot, but a couple are also engraved:

Metal stems:

The spacebar is identical to the one from my Selectric II regarding external shape and mounting but the underside looks a bit different. Maybe it matches a different Selectric.
The 2-switch stabilization method does not work well at all

Extra keys
Spoiler:

KB self-encoding switch:

SW:

I got lazy. If I find anything interesting I'll add more photos later
Spoiler:

Has anyone had any luck refilling engraved keycaps?

Update 1 - switches in the RW
Spoiler:
There indeed were several mouse poos and chewed up cables in the RW keyboard also it reeked of manure 😋

Also I desoldered the switches

Turns out only the spacebar switches are 7A1MA, the rest are 7A1MS. As far as I know the only difference is that the 7A1MS has 0.180" travel distance while the 7A1MA has 0.250" (6.35mm!). The difference in travel results from the length of the nub on which the spring sits

I also got at the replacement switch which is 7A1HA. Appears to be the same as 7A1MA except that it is supposed to have quick connect terminals; it looks like it did and someone trimmed them
Update 2 - 53SW1-1
Spoiler:
Another one

Empty switch to the right of the RE-\nTURN key

On the PCB it is labeled EMD (electrical monitor detector)

EMD has sensor 5E, switches have 16H

No model numbers on the switch housings

Date code sticker on case is clearly Micro Switch

Update 3 (2023-05-12) - RW keyboard restored and converted
Spoiler:
I cleaned and lubed the switches and gave it a new PCB to get NKRO

Overall I am pretty disappointed with this keyboard.

Even after cleaning and lubing, the switches are still bindy for my liking. The spacebar sucks (heavy because uses two switches and there is basically no stabilization; on the bright side you can use each half of the spacebar as a separate key on the higher layers :lol:). There are too few keys even for me

Also it was a huge pain in the ass to restore. Every single switch is attached to the frame by two very long screws that you have to screw into separate bits of plastic:

And finally, a bunch of the switches are breaking. Many have cracks in the slider tube which allows the keycap to spin around. Some top housing tabs are breaking. And two of the sliders are completely snapped:
I tried reattaching with gorilla glue but it was not even close to holding.
Last edited by fricked on 12 May 2023, 21:08, edited 3 times in total.

TNT

21 Dec 2021, 00:10

Those are some very nice boards! I love the squared buttons/lights on top 🤩

No experience on how to refill those engraved caps tho, sorry. Maybe you could be successfull with giving them a good clean first and then very carefully and precisely applying some kind of paint with a thin brush? More of a workaround solution. Properly refilling those while still maintaining a flat surface seems kinda tough...

JP!

21 Dec 2021, 04:56

Wow these are awesome. I think these are about the oldest MS boards that I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

headphone_jack

21 Dec 2021, 21:42

That's pretty incredible that IBM made the keycaps for Microswitch keyboards even before Microswitch made keyboards for IBM. I wonder if there are more examples of this partnership?

v.equals.c.rhino

24 Dec 2021, 04:34

fricked wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 00:02

I got lazy. If I find anything interesting I'll add more photos later
Post photos of mouse poo you found inside

Return to “Gallery”