How old is my G80?

Kattun

20 Feb 2022, 19:11

I was surprised to find it with an old ESCOM 486 pizza box that I bought from the classifieds.

I found the page about the "Cherry date codes", but this thing has none.

Double shot keycaps, MX blacks, XT/AT switch, seems in good shape. "made in West Germany" indicates it's pre unification.

Did it roam with the dinosaurs? :shock:
Attachments
100_0433.JPG
100_0433.JPG (105.58 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
100_0432.JPG
100_0432.JPG (105.27 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
100_0431.JPG
100_0431.JPG (129.96 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Feb 2022, 19:16

Kattun wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 19:11
Did it roam with the dinosaurs? :shock:
You're correct in your guess!

Going by the rear sticker and the style of flip-out feet, this model precedes their date code system. I would guess it dates back to sometime in 1987.

Kattun

20 Feb 2022, 19:44

Thanks for the quick reply, photekq!

Those flip-out feet, well, they do make some sense but I dare anyone to flip them out without fearing to break them. They need to bend quite a bit to unlock from the rear. And the rubber pieces tend to wander.

Other then that, it's pretty solid.

This is so cool - the Tastatur wasn't even part of the deal, I just wanted that old desktop. (Which is gorgeous, btw.)

My first G80 - tbh, the linear switches are kinda boring. And rather stiff, for not being a mechanical typewriter. My parents had a G81 back in the day, which obviously ruined Cherry for me.

Used to borrow a model M for some time. Now, that was a statement ;)

Myoth

20 Feb 2022, 19:51

To add a bit to this thread, if you're still in possession of that keyboard, you could probably open it up and get a precise dating of it. Either the case will be dated, or there will be an explicit date written somewhere. If all fails, you can get a lower bound by checking the ICs on the PCB.

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Feb 2022, 19:54

Kattun wrote:
Those flip-out feet, well, they do make some sense but I dare anyone to flip them out without fearing to break them. They need to bend quite a bit to unlock from the rear. And the rubber pieces tend to wander.
You know, I actually prefer those old-style flip-out feet when it comes to using them. But I can understand why Cherry redesigned them swiftly; I've got no doubt that they had some complaints about them breaking. There's a bit of a knack for pulling them out, it's hard to describe. I've flipped mine backward and forward countless times with no issues.

Kattun

20 Feb 2022, 20:03

Myoth wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 19:51
you could probably open it up and get a precise dating of it.
thanks - I know, there usually is some kind of stamp on the PCB.

Alas, I tried that earlier today and aborted mission because I coudn't quite figure out how to safely do that. It's a combination of four screws up front and some hook on the rear, the latter remaining opaque.
I may try again once I have more leasure for such things.

VexSolar

20 Feb 2022, 21:12

Kattun wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, photekq!

Other then that, it's pretty solid.

This is so cool - the Tastatur wasn't even part of the deal, I just wanted that old desktop. (Which is gorgeous, btw.)

My first G80 - tbh, the linear switches are kinda boring. And rather stiff, for not being a mechanical typewriter. My parents had a G81 back in the day, which obviously ruined Cherry for me.

Used to borrow a model M for some time. Now, that was a statement ;)
Say, if you believe the linears are boring, I'll gladly take them off of your hands :D

Kattun

20 Feb 2022, 22:09

VexSolar wrote:
Say, if you believe the linears are boring, I'll gladly take them off of your hands :D
... haha, and you're not even the first to ask :P

At least give me some time to actually try the thing out, you vultures! I might even aquire the taste?
It's not a G81, I can tell that much!

I'm simply used to some tactility.
I might have considered shelling out three figures for a good MX blue piece, were it not for the tendency of my keyboards to look like Dresden '45 after some time, it would be a shame.
So for now, I'm sticking to a sturdy black IBM rubber dome I got NOS for a fiver. Which is actually not all that bad.

VexSolar

20 Feb 2022, 22:12

Kattun wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 22:09
VexSolar wrote:
... haha, and you're not even the first to ask :P

At least give me some time to actually try the thing out, you vultures! I might even aquire the taste?
It's not a G81, I can tell that much!

I'm simply used to some tactility.
I might have considered shelling out three figures for a good MX blue piece, were it not for the tendency of my keyboards to look like Dresden '45 after some time, it would be a shame.
So for now, I'm sticking to a sturdy black IBM rubber dome I got NOS for a fiver. Which is actually not all that bad.
Sounds good. But if your taste for them never develops... you know who to call :lol:

Return to “Gallery”