New Workplace Keyboard(s) Double 96 with Touchpad

CeeSA

30 May 2012, 23:20

Building my new Workplace Keyboards.
Originally the touchpad was 2 columns more right, but i moved it to columns to the left.
For the cable connector i drilled a new hole in the pcb.
Only one key is not working right know, but i will fix it.

Tipro connect to a Tipro is no problem. I program one unit after the other and of course shift plus key from left to right and the other way, is no problem.
As before, I will use the top 3 rows for phrases and shortcuts i need often at work. The arrow cluster is doubled, because i have the space (otherone is above the touchpad).
The space key is under 'B' and 'N', backspace is under 'M'. This works very good for me already. Enter for the lefthand is already one of my favorites.
The F keys i often use, are 'F3' and 'F5', so i make a direct input. Over 'F3' is 'STRG+F' for searching.

As you see at the pics, not all labels are complete. I did not change the QWERTY Layout because i will not spend any time to learn a new one.

The color setup is not finished. Thinking about using the keylock, so i could put my pwd (and history) to one key ;)
Totally new is the touchpad for me. I will see wether i could put the IE 3.0 away.
Also i could now adjust the angle and distance for the boards.

Hope you enjoy the pics and the layout. I could never ever work without a Tipro again.
new workplace 1.jpg
new workplace 1.jpg (465.32 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
new workplace 2.jpg
new workplace 2.jpg (506.03 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Last edited by CeeSA on 30 May 2012, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

30 May 2012, 23:26

Kommst du gut mit dem Matrix-Layout der Tasten klar?

"How do you find the matrix layout of the keys? As they arent shifted as on normal keyboards."

Also curious about the touchpad. Which one is it? Does it work properly?

BTW: Your creations are always enjoyable.

CeeSA

30 May 2012, 23:34

i tried the matrix layout before, and i get used to it. It takes not so long. I hope this time it will be a short time too.
The problem is, at home i use my small deck 82 keyboards. Maybe i should use the "matrix" everywhere.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 May 2012, 06:57

Nice job you've done here, CeeSA.

Having an additional Enter key and arrow cluster on the left side of the keyboard is definitely an asset. Before having that, I was not even aware how much the right hand moves from and to these keys in between.
(Same for an additional Delete key, by the way.)

The fantastic thing about Tipros is that everybody can adapt them to their own needs.
For example, as I do a lot of editing work on texts, I have a (left-hand) Cut/Copy/Paste cluster
and a (right-hand) cluster of keys to move to the beginning/end of a word/line/paragraph.
I think programmers would appreciate to have to press just one key to get opening and closing brackets and position the cursor between them. Gamers will surely have some complicated shortcuts they'd like to get at a fingertip.

Is the touchpad directly connected to the computer or does it somehow use the Tipro connection?
And by the way, didn't the left unit initially have two "dead" keys?

CeeSA

31 May 2012, 09:34

Touchpad brand: Slidepoint
It's not connected to the Tipro connection:
tipro 96 touchpad backside.jpg
tipro 96 touchpad backside.jpg (514.53 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
As you see (or not really), the touchpad has his own PS/2 connection.
The pic shows the touchpad in the original position, before moving it to 2 columns left.

No dead keys for the left unit.

Trent

31 May 2012, 12:10

So many empty keys! But otherwise, awesome job.

Lustique

31 May 2012, 14:35

Slightly OT:
Spoiler:
Has anyone here ever tried to put something like this or this into a custom case? :?:
I don't know shit about electronics, but couldn't you build your very own custom touch pad with something like this?
Apart from that: Nice setup, but all the unused keys would bother me, too, I think.

Icarium

31 May 2012, 15:30

Lustique wrote:Slightly OT:
Spoiler:
Has anyone here ever tried to put something like this or this into a custom case? :?:
I don't know shit about electronics, but couldn't you build your very own custom touch pad with something like this?
Apart from that: Nice setup, but all the unused keys would bother me, too, I think.
If you want a custom touchpad all you have to do is break apart almost any old laptop and solder a ps/2 cable on the right pins...

CeeSA

31 May 2012, 15:54

@ Lustique
as i wrote in the OP: "As before, I will use the top 3 rows for phrases and shortcuts i need often at work."

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 May 2012, 18:48

Lustique wrote:[...] Apart from that: Nice setup, but all the unused keys would bother me, too, I think.
Well, if all those keys are not needed, there's always the option of moving the whole layout three rows up and using the space of the three bottom rows for an integrated wrist rest. Possiblly with built-in palm keys.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 May 2012, 18:56

@CeeSA: your split keyboard will look even nicer with black cases ;)

dirge

31 May 2012, 19:26

lol just so happened he's won two black boards on eBay today ;)

CeeSA

31 May 2012, 21:17

ok, more pics.

my setup now:
workplace_old.jpg
workplace_old.jpg (182.06 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
new setup, adding more keys (makros, phrases and so on)
workplace d96 20120531.jpg
workplace d96 20120531.jpg (178.75 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
@ dirge - you are a happy Tipro owner too today ;)

Minskleip

31 May 2012, 22:23

Do you have a mouse on the side as well? How those that work out with those huge boards?

I also have two of those, but I'm desoldering all the switches to clean and replace the internals.. I'll never finish haha

CeeSA

01 Jun 2012, 08:45

pls read th text above the pics...

Trent

01 Jun 2012, 09:05

How did you get used to the split layout? I've wanted to go to one of these layouts but I always dislike typing on them. Maybe this is because I don't "properly" type, but maybe also you need to get used to the layout?

Icarium

01 Jun 2012, 09:36

I keep putting doing the same thing off all the time.
I have the boards already I just keep thinking I want them tilted and then I would need some kind of special armrest and then I just don't do anything. It's just sad.

Does anybody have a good idea on how to make a board tilted and add armrests? Sort of like the Kinesis Pyramid a bit?
Picture taken from input nirvana's wiki over at GH. No idea where he got it from or what the license might be.
Picture taken from input nirvana's wiki over at GH. No idea where he got it from or what the license might be.
Kinesis Pyramid.jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 6943 times
But I think the armrests should be closer to the user I doubt that the ones in the picture actually work well.

off

01 Jun 2012, 13:19

Icarium wrote:I keep putting doing the same thing off all the time.
I have the boards already I just keep thinking I want them tilted and then I would need some kind of special armrest and then I just don't do anything. It's just sad.
I know what you mean ;)
Icarium wrote:But I think the armrests should be closer to the user I doubt that the ones in the picture actually work well.
I think they'd work nicely; resting the thick side of your hand on it..

7bit

03 Jun 2012, 19:18

Lustique wrote:Slightly OT:
Spoiler:
Right, at least I would put some blanks on them.

Minskleip

03 Jun 2012, 20:53

CeeSA wrote:pls read th text above the pics...
Yes?

7bit

03 Jun 2012, 21:02

Minskleip wrote:
Yes?
OK, at least I read the text. He means that he will add keys with macros etc. one-by-one, and not in a rush as we would do it.
;-)

Minskleip

03 Jun 2012, 23:04

7bit wrote:
Minskleip wrote:
Yes?
OK, at least I read the text. He means that he will add keys with macros etc. one-by-one, and not in a rush as we would do it.
;-)
Haha I read the text! :P

I'm curious to the impact such a huge keyboards have on mousing :geek:

CeeSA

03 Jun 2012, 23:09

:?
with the new setup i use the touchpad and no mouse anymore...

I do not understand you at all

off

04 Jun 2012, 00:00

So did anybody come up with a nice and easily available trick to make those doubleswitch-keys work comfortably?

I was thinking of cutting both springs and stretching the remaining parts, but that seems to be a stretch.

The other option that has been mentioned before is using a spring in one of two only, but afair that binds easily..

Minskleip

04 Jun 2012, 00:13

CeeSA wrote::?

:) I have a trackball and a mouse, so you could have the mouse on the side for advanced mousing or something.

7bit

04 Jun 2012, 00:23

Minskleip wrote:
CeeSA wrote::?

:) I have a trackball and a mouse, so you could have the mouse on the side for advanced mousing or something.
He might do the mousing in his bed or on the floor, or on the kitchen table....
:oops:

Trent

04 Jun 2012, 15:57

Quick question: why choose the touchpad over say a roller mouse?

CeeSA

04 Jun 2012, 16:00

i never tried a roller mouse. Just for trying it is very expensive. Maybe someone could bring it to the keyboard party.
Or Mr. Interface own one? I think so, but i am not shure.

CeeSA

09 Jun 2012, 13:26

now in final black. shift works only one :o :(
so i take off the controller from the left board.

to make the boards detachable i use some parts of the cardreaders.
double 96 tipro touchpad black final.jpg
double 96 tipro touchpad black final.jpg (193.56 KiB) Viewed 6627 times

off

09 Jun 2012, 16:44

CeeSA wrote:to make the boards detachable i use some parts of the cardreaders.
Got pic?

Return to “Gallery”