1x1 Hi-Tek High Profile

zrrion

18 Jun 2023, 08:24

Removed from my Robot 800 while cleaning/fixing the keyboard. It's just waffle style Hi-Tek High Profile but a single one. This was next to the caps lock key just making that row 1 switch wider. I guess they figured it wasn't worth the effort to make a new frame for a single extra key. While this isn't all that special all things considered it has become my fav switch for the time being simply on account of how absurd it is. It's huge especially compared to SI.

Like just comparing the springs alone is goofy. you can feel the spring in this switch reverberating when tossing it around in the hand. Eventually I'll track down a spare so I can have one for my collection since this one is going back in the machine it came from.

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2023, 10:57

Now you’ve got one loose in hand: how amenable to lubing are those switches? Every time I’ve encountered them they’ve been in boards where every single key felt as dry and nasty as the next. Does ultrasonic cleaning help?

zrrion

18 Jun 2023, 19:10

I haven't really done much in the way of cleaning for this thing, I think after I get switch collars and I can confirm that they fit I plan to clean and wax the sliders and try a thick grease on them. The spring can absolutely handle a thicker lube I think so it should be very nice. Will make a thread about the restoration when I get the machine up and running

MathematicalJ

20 Jun 2023, 08:22

Oh man, I need one of those! I got a much later model switch from eBay optimistically hoping I could swap the contacts out or something. Nope, completely different. I can't find anyone who is selling the waffle style switches.

Return to “Gallery”