Cherry G80-1838HPU

IvanIvanovich

26 Sep 2012, 04:00

Just got this mint specimen in today. The keycaps are whiter than standard Cherry 'white' and are not 'hellgrau' either. I will post some more detailed photos and comparisons with other 'white' Cherry keycaps when I have better lighting available.

ZcHuer

26 Sep 2012, 07:40

My 1838 HPU set is on the way to me. I also have a all white DS set from WEY HK2000. But didn't notice the differences between the "white"'s. Would be interested in the Cherry color scheme. Is there any official color map publicly available?

Elrick

26 Sep 2012, 10:23

lysol wrote: Just got this mint specimen in today. The keycaps are whiter than standard Cherry 'white' and are not 'hellgrau' either. I will post some more detailed photos and comparisons with other 'white' Cherry keycaps when I have better lighting available.
Damn, she's sexy as hell. You are one extremely lucky individual to find this keyboard in near perfect condition.

I've given up looking for any perfection in these babies...... just glad to know that at least someone else out there has struck GOLD.

IvanIvanovich

26 Sep 2012, 19:58

The only thing I know to anything official color chart is there was a Cherry color ring that was sold from Cherry a little while ago back from when Cherry still offered doubleshots and custom options... I wish whoever bought it would post the complete photos with compare to RAL chart or something for a reference.
WEY caps are different shade, have a slight lightgrey/blue shift to them. I have some caps from one of those too, I will include in the comparison.
1838HPU is not that hard to find, if you don't mind to pay the price.

tsangan

27 Sep 2012, 12:59

Nice! Glad you see you finally picked one up

Taobao?

IvanIvanovich

27 Sep 2012, 21:58

Something I didn't notice at first, the row profiles are non standard and the top 3 rows all have Cherry D profile. I can't say I am really very happy about this.
Logo on case appears to be good quality pad print or silkscreen.
Some macro shots of keycaps.

Here is all of the Cherry 'white' family keys I have at the moment. From top left: grey on pearl from Alcatel, modern lasered hellgrau pbt, DE hellgrau from 1500, black on white from WEY, black on white from 1838, black on white from standard color FR set, black on off white from 0499, black on almond from 0879...

No I didn't get it from taobao, but from a US store that deals mostly with server equipment.

Elrick

28 Sep 2012, 07:18

tsangan wrote:Nice! Glad you see you finally picked one up

Taobao?
This is just my own personal view but it's not wise to buy anything G80 related off Taobao, simply because there are too many Frankensteins being released into the wild.

I stopped buying from there, because you can't trust what you are getting. The sellers know how to fool the gullible and they are quite brazen about it.

Swapping keys with other models and sometimes even the pcb's with another type, is quite normal now.

nntnam

28 Sep 2012, 18:59

Elrick wrote:
tsangan wrote:Nice! Glad you see you finally picked one up

Taobao?
This is just my own personal view but it's not wise to buy anything G80 related off Taobao, simply because there are too many Frankensteins being released into the wild.

I stopped buying from there, because you can't trust what you are getting. The sellers know how to fool the gullible and they are quite brazen about it.

Swapping keys with other models and sometimes even the pcb's with another type, is quite normal now.
Yeah... I tried buying from taobao 3 times. The first time is horrible. But when I tried my luck two more time, the results turned out great. I think the lucky plays the most important role while buying stuff from Taobao :D .

Elrick

29 Sep 2012, 01:59

nntnam wrote:I think the lucky plays the most important role while buying stuff from Taobao :D .
So TRUE. It's just my luck has never been good on Taobao. When I use to deal through Miss Lin everything was perfect but without her now, it's been extremely dismal. :cry:

Half-Saint

29 Sep 2012, 21:00

You guys like to gamble? :D

nntnam

30 Sep 2012, 05:26

Elrick wrote:
nntnam wrote:I think the lucky plays the most important role while buying stuff from Taobao :D .
So TRUE. It's just my luck has never been good on Taobao. When I use to deal through Miss Lin everything was perfect but without her now, it's been extremely dismal. :cry:
Yeah, I have a friend that can speak Chinese. So I can ask the seller many thing about the item before deciding. However, I'm still fucked by the first seller who kept insisting that his stuff is in like new condition :shock: .

mbodrov

01 Oct 2012, 22:29

lysol wrote:The keycaps are whiter than standard Cherry 'white' and are not 'hellgrau' either.
It's good to finally know this, but disappointing. I had thought these 1838 boards could potentially be donors of white modifier keys, but it turns out they aren't really compatible with anything if you're picky about your shades of white. Sigh.

IvanIvanovich

01 Oct 2012, 23:07

Yes it ruined my plan as well, but it is still a pretty nice keyboard overall. I've been playing around with trying to find some good looking tonal arrangement with the various shades.

naisanza

16 Oct 2012, 06:10

Is there anyone on here that help with a purchase on taobao?

Return to “Gallery”