SMT GOUPiL G5

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Mar 2011, 13:53

I have been hunting after this board for about 2 years. It is the only black'ish G80-1000 that Cherry ever made. As a collector I of course had to have it. I finally found one on the French eBay ads the other day and the seller agreed to ship me just the keyboard.

Goupil was a French manufacturer of very stylish (for that time) portable and desktop computer systems. Back in the late 80s they had a deal with Cherry in Germany to OEM all their keyboards. The Goupil G5 was a 386 desktop computer released in 1989.

The keyboard is not really pitch black but more of a dark gray, similar to their current modern POS keyboards.

Nothing really too special about the board. The case is close to the default G80-1000 case, just in black and with a special bezel for the Goupil logo.

Inside is a G80-1213HAF with MX Blacks and full N-key rollover. The keycaps are actually non standard color as well and the fonts are dark gray instead of the usual black Cherry keycap font.

Goupil must have had a pretty good deal with Cherry. This is just the second OEM keyboard I have ever seen that does not mention the Cherry brand anywhere at all. R.F.A -> République fédérale d'Allemagne -> Germany

Mold marks reveal that the keyboard was made in 1988 and apparently even had a dedicated mold and did not use the default G80-1000 one.

Thats about all there is to see, not a very fancy keyboard besides for the collectors value. Another very hard to fill gap in my collection is finally closed. I am coming closer to finishing my Cherry collection!

PS: AZERTY is a totally silly layout, I can't even imagine to type on it. But I am totally digging this "sad guy face" key:

Excellent! :<

Peter

19 Mar 2011, 14:05

Very nice board !
Now you just need some lavender ZQSD-caps and you're ready to go ..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Mar 2011, 14:12

Color difference:

javifast

19 Mar 2011, 15:28

Nice find.

Crazy9000

30 Mar 2011, 05:27

Was using that arrow for home common?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Apr 2011, 07:57

Crazy9000 wrote:Was using that arrow for home common?
It still is.

Return to “Gallery”