G80-3500 - The Cherry Mouseboard

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 16:23

In my years of collecting Cherry vintage products, I came to the conclusion that this is perhaps the most rare Cherry keyboard, released to the mass market. Definitely more rare even so than the G80-5000 Ergo-Plus. First announced in December 1990, the Cherry Mouseboard was revealed and reviewed at IFA 1991 and demonstrated in the German TV Show "Highscore" in mid 1991.

I believe there were less than 2000 of these boards made in total, going by serial numbers found across the net. It also seems that despite being available in at least German, French and US ANSI layout, all variants used the same base keyboard from the same production run and were manually adjusted/modified to the according layout. German variants have been sighted with the same "HAU" product code, normally indicating US ANSI layout.

The mouseboard was Cherry's attempt to combine a mouse and a keyboard into one beast of a weird input device.

The base keyboard design looks similar to a G80-3000, with no cursor keys and two extra keys.

The core part of the mouseboard is the obscure as hell "mouse slider", which combines both, a mouse and the cursor keys. Depending on the mode setup the movement of the device can be interpreted to cursor keys. When in "mouse mode", the cursor keys on the top of device act as normal "keyboard" cursor keys.

Manual adjustments - unknown if made by the previous owner of Cherry Corp

Cherry MX Black and full N-Key rollover.

Made in 1991 - of course, since the board never made it into a second production run. This is the only Cherry vintage keyboard in my collection that does not use the fancy two-color red and black Cherry printing on the case and just comes in a brown OEM like box.

Tons of manuals, information sheets, pinout diagrams and technical drawings

Copyright 1989 Logitech... huh? Maybe if this collaboration still existed, we would see better keyboards from either company nowadays.

The core "mouse slider" unit

Dedicated micro controller, very unusual for Cherry

Firmware EPROM - Again with manual labeling and adjustments.

Released at 299,00 DM (~150 EUR) originally, the board did not last in the market for long. It seems it never made it past the first revision and was quickly taken off the market again. Nowadays reaching crazy prices with Asian collectors, I most likely would never have been able to bring my collection one step closer to complementation if it wasn't for 42.tar.gz letting me have this one at a very humanly affordable price. Thank you very much!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 17:16

PS: Scanning all the manuals in a bit. Doubt many are interested, since there is not much to see, but just for preservation!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 17:24

How do you operate the mouse? You slide the entire square unit?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 17:26

Yes. If the "mouse" LED key is active, it acts as a mouse. If its off, it acts as cursor keys to the according position... really funky.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 17:29

Aah, I saw that board before and thought it was a cursor mouse. What do you do when you want to move more to the top left than it allows? And where are the mouse buttons?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 17:31

webwit wrote:Aah, I saw that board before and thought it was a cursor mouse. What do you do when you want to move more to the top left than it allows? And where are the mouse buttons?

It is 400 dpi btw.

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 18:10

That's very cool, how is it in use?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 18:17

Its very... unusual. I can't speak for the mouse use yet, since it uses a giant 25 pin connector. They do provide the pinout though, maybe it can be converted?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 18:19

Also, I love their hybrid English/German documents. So typical for Germans.

No Funktion!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 19:29

I remember one place where I saw it. That Chinese guy who sold me the ugly VX 5000. I bet he's still trying to sell his other boards on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:33

Yeah he is. He has both the G80-5000 and this up for like $6000 each. Dunno what he expects. Suppose after the v80 sale he went dipshit insane.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:41

Also I just noticed, if you check this pic, you can see there is another sticker under it. I just used a LED flashlight to see through it.. kinda. Reads G80-5300 with a different production date. Cherry loves typos.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2011, 19:54

His box. And other stuff.
fcfarstf.jpg
fcfarstf.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
ttrscsfc.jpg
ttrscsfc.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
stsa.jpg
stsa.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
tassars.jpg
tassars.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
astt.jpg
astt.jpg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
tstaas.jpg
tstaas.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
ar.jpg
ar.jpg (173.5 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
aa1.jpg
aa1.jpg (148.85 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
ars.jpg
ars.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 9062 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:57

Aha. That explains why my box is different. It seems to be a slide-over sleeve, which I am missing. Another 20 years to hunt that one. Yay!

I have the same manuals too.. the thickest one is actually just for the drawing program, that came with it for free apparently. Made by Logitech.

Reminds me of Deluxpaint on the Amiga.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 20:53

Manual done scanning. Page 2 is duplicated and flipped, sorry about that, too lazy to fix.
Cherry_G80-3500HAU.zip
Cherry G80-3500HAU Mouseboard Manual
(587.63 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

Minskleip

04 Feb 2011, 00:33

sixty wrote:Its very... unusual. I can't speak for the mouse use yet, since it uses a giant 25 pin connector. They do provide the pinout though, maybe it can be converted?
Teensy project :) It sure looks cool though.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

04 Feb 2011, 14:07

Very interesting keyboard, thanks for the pics!
sixty wrote:Copyright 1989 Logitech... huh? Maybe if this collaboration still existed, we would see better keyboards from either company nowadays.
IIRC, Logitech was the OEM for the trackball in the Lexmark M5-2 trackball keyboard.
sixty wrote:Its very... unusual. I can't speak for the mouse use yet, since it uses a giant 25 pin connector. They do provide the pinout though, maybe it can be converted?
Is it not just a 25-pin serial plug?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 17:54

daedalus wrote:Is it not just a 25-pin serial plug?
Probably is?
page5.PNG
page5.PNG (124.46 KiB) Viewed 9009 times

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2011, 18:08

Now you need to find the 25 pin version of something like this:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 18:10

webwit wrote:Now you need to find the 25 pin version of something like this:
Could always make a giant adapter circle. 25 pin -> 9 pin -> usb. Oh yeah... someone would still have to write a driver I guess :(

t!ng
Awake Sheep

18 Feb 2012, 19:47

What is the estimate worth of this keyboard nowadays?

mintberryminuscrunch

18 Feb 2012, 20:33

Return to “Gallery”