iMate Apple Desktop Bus to USB adapter.

gmjhowe

05 Mar 2013, 21:52

I got one of these included with my Apple Extended keyboard
(http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t5297.html)

Very handy little thing, I thought I would take some pictures.
iMate-1.jpg
iMate-1.jpg (729.9 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
iMate-2.jpg
iMate-2.jpg (618.96 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
iMate-3.jpg
iMate-3.jpg (594.18 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
Interestingly I didn't realise these were made as recently as 2010. Maybe they still make them?
I plan to try and fit it inside of my AEKii, with the option to plug an extra keyboard or mouse into that keyboard for testing purposes. I don't think I will make use of the sliding riser feature, so I will likely make a nice little USB port on the back, as having the cable coming out the side is a bit of a pain.

mr_a500

05 Mar 2013, 22:59

gmjhowe wrote: Interestingly I didn't realise these were made as recently as 2010. Maybe they still make them?
No, they don't still make them. Most sellers know they don't still make them and charge high prices for them - usually more than the cost of an AEK itself.

Edit: Holy crap - I just checked eBay and there are lots of iMates for sale around $30. Back when I checked a few years ago they were "uber rare" and over $50.

Charlie_Brown_MX

05 Mar 2013, 23:11

Yeah, the price of them collapsed in the last year or two. They used to go for £50+, but they’re down at ~£20 now.

gmjhowe

05 Mar 2013, 23:15

koralatov wrote:Yeah, the price of them collapsed in the last year or two. They used to go for £50+, but they’re down at ~£20 now.
Yeah, I had seen them going for about £20.

However I got this one, and the AEKii for only £26 for the lot. It came with an ADB mouse too, but its pretty horrible.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Mar 2013, 02:02

The case on the adapter I bought fell apart upon opening from the shipper. I have it taped to keep it closed. It still works, but I can't say much for build quality.

I know Belkin sells an ADB adapter. It's a little pricier than the iMate, but they still are in production.

whiskytango

06 Mar 2013, 06:32

I bought an iMate for $25 USD shipped off ebay around Christmas. My brother-in-law found and AEKII in a shop for $5 bucks and so I got him the adapter. I am typing on it right now as a matter of fact. I don't like the switches in this keyboard. We're thinking about finding some linear alps to put in it. Or is there a clicky alps switch similar to a cherry mx blue?

Charlie_Brown_MX

06 Mar 2013, 09:31

prdlm2009 wrote:The case on the adapter I bought fell apart upon opening from the shipper. I have it taped to keep it closed. It still works, but I can't say much for build quality.
That’s been my experience too: one of the NIB ones I got proxied over from the States had the same problem — it got damaged in shipment and was in pieces by the time I got it. It still works fine, though.
I know Belkin sells an ADB adapter. It's a little pricier than the iMate, but they still are in production.
If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s not an ideal replacement for the iMate unless you have more than one ADB device, because it’s bigger and bulkier. They were appearing on eBay from time to time for anything for £15 to £35, but I haven’t bothered to check in a while now.

Charlie_Brown_MX

06 Mar 2013, 09:57

whiskytango wrote:… Or is there a clicky alps switch similar to a cherry mx blue?
I don’t know if there’s a clicky ALPS similar to Cherry blues (which I find far too light and to have a horrible feel), but there are two options: vintage blue ALPS, or the new Matias clicky ALPS-clones.

gmjhowe

06 Mar 2013, 10:46

Yeah, it seems the method used to join the two halves of the iMate is somewhat crappy. Its just a couple of plastic pins. They could have easily added four little screws, or one screw and a latch.

Opening up my iMate to take some pictures of the insides I broke two of the pins.
I plan to either mod it inside of my AEKii or I will make a nice little laser cut case for it.
I would be happy to make and post out some laser cut cases for your adapters if you want? Cost price only (Materials and Shipping)

moijk

06 Mar 2013, 12:07

I got a apple extended II and the imate adapter. So it is the perfect place to ask. the uppermost left key.. the ' .. does that work with you or is just my switch broken? because that is what holds me back from using the keyboard more. I'm a developer. I use the ' more than the average user.

gmjhowe

06 Mar 2013, 12:59

Interesting! My AEKii exhibits exactly the same issue, the upper most left key just isn't recognised at all.

However, mine is the ISO layout, so that key is the '± §' key, which I pretty much never ever use. So I had not noticed it at all. I had noticed that F13 doesn't work, but again, not a key I need.

The only fix I can think of is to solder some jumping wires between that key and say F14 or F15 that you might not use.
Then remap it in the software.

I had noticed that the ISO key for \~ next to the left shift actually outputs `~ Which is strange, as I have another backslash over by enter.

It could be, if the PCB was made to be both ANSI and ISO that you could solder the apparent 'dead' switch onto the holes for the ISO of that key. I am gonna open up my keyboard look at the circuit and report back, I can not quite make it out from the pictures I took previous.

gmjhowe

06 Mar 2013, 13:05

Nope, it looks like apple used specific separate PCBs for ANSI and ISO, most likely because the entire alpha keys are 0.25units further right then the ANSI. (I should have figured really)

mr_a500

06 Mar 2013, 13:31

whiskytango wrote:I bought an iMate for $25 USD shipped off ebay around Christmas. My brother-in-law found and AEKII in a shop for $5 bucks and so I got him the adapter. I am typing on it right now as a matter of fact. I don't like the switches in this keyboard. We're thinking about finding some linear alps to put in it. Or is there a clicky alps switch similar to a cherry mx blue?
I don't like the AEK II either. The original AEK with orange ALPS is much smoother. To me, the AEK II feels like a rubber dome.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Mar 2013, 18:26

mr_a500 wrote:
whiskytango wrote:I bought an iMate for $25 USD shipped off ebay around Christmas. My brother-in-law found and AEKII in a shop for $5 bucks and so I got him the adapter. I am typing on it right now as a matter of fact. I don't like the switches in this keyboard. We're thinking about finding some linear alps to put in it. Or is there a clicky alps switch similar to a cherry mx blue?
I don't like the AEK II either. The original AEK with orange ALPS is much smoother. To me, the AEK II feels like a rubber dome.
I've got the original AEK with orange Alps. Love it. Except the curve of the keyboard creates an uncomfortable typing angle.

gmjhowe

07 Mar 2013, 14:51

I made the replacement case I was talking about - http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/lase ... t5307.html

RougeRambo

09 Mar 2013, 18:05

errr wtf is it?
also eww apple :)

gmjhowe

09 Mar 2013, 18:10

iMate is the apple equivalent of a blue cube.

RougeRambo

09 Mar 2013, 18:53

gmjhowe wrote:iMate is the apple equivalent of a blue cube.
ah thankyou

Return to “Gallery”