MX1A-B1xx

Soarer

18 Oct 2013, 14:53

Hmm, okay, it lists pin for Nocke, but not for Nocken... :?

7bit

18 Oct 2013, 14:55

^^^ Nocken (auch Nockerln).

^^ Salzburger Nockerln (sweet). :o

^^ Auerbacher Nockerln (clicky). :ugeek:

Soarer

18 Oct 2013, 15:06

"Identification of keystem having a cam", meaning "Identification of keystem having a slider"
"Identification by keystem with a pin"
"Identification by keystem with one [plate of] Gnocchi"

Yup, nailed it. Must be one of those.
Last edited by Soarer on 18 Oct 2013, 15:16, edited 3 times in total.

Halvar

18 Oct 2013, 15:10

Soarer wrote:Hmm, okay, it lists pin for Nocke, but not for Nocken... :?
It lists both "cam" and "pin" for Nocke. ;)

7bit

18 Oct 2013, 15:11

Pin would be something like a needle, like the fixing pins or the contact pins.

I'm still not sure what the German version says, but the translation Nocke -> Cam might be true.

Soarer

18 Oct 2013, 15:13

Halvar wrote:
I saw ;) ... 'cam' for both, but 'pin' only for Nocke.

My feeling is that Nocke meaning pin would also have a sense of a functional part, given that it also means cam, as in an actuating pin or somesuch... could that be correct?

kaiserreich

18 Oct 2013, 15:45

Halvar

18 Oct 2013, 15:59

Soarer wrote:
Halvar wrote:
I saw ;) ... 'cam' for both, but 'pin' only for Nocke.

My feeling is that Nocke meaning pin would also have a sense of a functional part, given that it also means cam, as in an actuating pin or somesuch... could that be correct?
Normally yes. For example, the pins on the drum of an old musical clock would be called Nocke. Nocken is the plural as well as a synonymous word.
spieluhr.jpg
spieluhr.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 6592 times

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

18 Oct 2013, 20:07

Ah, you never know where any forum thread will lead. From Cherry MX debate via some exotic food to a self playing musical instrument...and its only just page 2 :)

Soarer

18 Oct 2013, 20:18

Don't nocke it! :P

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Oct 2013, 21:49

But is the click grey switch greased?

Is "MX blue" really both white and blue?

7bit: Comparison between "grey" and "dark grey":

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Cherry ... s_Grey.jpg

I don't have a click grey.

7bit

18 Oct 2013, 21:58

Someone must get Sixty out of his hobby-hibernation. I know he has a keyboard with old MXWHITEs. I think I remember that the old ones where more like nowadays blues.

@Daniel Beardsmore: I have both. I don't have the clicky grey. I'd like to know which color it is in comparison with the other 2 or more.
Before someone asks: The MX1A-B1xx is out of production. I've asked for all thinkable product numbers and there where only the 10 variants which are/where available in the CherryMX group buy.

@yab8433408:
cat MX*grey* | photo > MX_grey_photo.jpg

Halvar

18 Oct 2013, 22:36

Sorry to return to the "cam" thing for one last time, but after finding this in the wiki:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Switch_info.pdf

I wonder if there even is a German version of that anywhere...

Soarer

18 Oct 2013, 23:54

Why apologise? :evilgeek:
Halvar wrote:
Soarer wrote:My feeling is that Nocke meaning pin would also have a sense of a functional part, given that it also means cam, as in an actuating pin or somesuch... could that be correct?
Normally yes. For example, the pins on the drum of an old musical clock would be called Nocke. Nocken is the plural as well as a synonymous word.
Right, so, I think that my interpretation of the phrase is slightly more likely then, although either works.

The only Cherry data in German that I've seen is Tastenmodule_MX_S67_S70_S71.pdf (which is where I saw 'Fixierpins'). But it's far more recent, and doesn't even have a table explaining the part numbers in any form.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Oct 2013, 00:18

7bit wrote:I have both. I don't have the clicky grey. I'd like to know which color it is in comparison with the other 2 or more.
I am guessing that "grey x" means x% grey, therefore it's 1 percentage point darker than "dark grey" (making "dark grey" an unhelpful name).

I propose that we rename them "MX Linear Grey" and "MX Tactile Grey" (along with the existing MX Click Grey), since "dark" grey is a useless name for it unless you just happen to have the two side by side. (Goodness knows why Cherry picked three shades of grey so similar to each other.)

Essentially grey was used for all space bar switches prior to the introduction of green.

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2013, 01:19

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I propose that we rename them "MX Linear Grey" and "MX Tactile Grey" (along with the existing MX Click Grey), since "dark" grey is a useless name for it unless you just happen to have the two side by side. (Goodness knows why Cherry picked three shades of grey so similar to each other.)
Seconded. They're just too damn similar to allow for sensible description besides their feel.

Soarer

19 Oct 2013, 01:38

Now now, let's not be hasty - we have gnocchi to aid identification!

I'm not sure if they're percentage values or what... but 'light' and 'dark' they are... B can be either 'darker' or 'dark with pin' :D

But sure, if you see one on a 'board in a picture you'll probably only know which grey it is by the colour of the rest of the switches.

rzwv

19 Oct 2013, 14:18

The HirosCherry is manufacturing Cherry MX Orange and it differs from other MX series.
It may be better to write it as Cherry Orange, since the cross is somewhat small.
The axis white otherwise is also made.
There is no telling whether a color is Clear.

Cherry MX Orangeはヒロセチェリーが製造しており、他のMXシリーズとは違っています。
十字が少し小さいのでCherry Orangeと表記したほうが良いのかも知れません。
他にも白色の軸も作っています。色がClearかどうかは分かりません。

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Oct 2013, 15:34

Thank you rzwv! Now I know why Cherry UK is not aware of these switches.

I will contact Hirose and ask them if they have any part numbers or specifications for their M8 and MX switches. "Cherry Orange" is not descriptive enough. Also, the series name (e.g. M7, M9, MX) does not include stem or mount. The older switches in particular used many different stems (height, mount, angle). In the MXab-cdef codes, the 'd' position "Keystem configuration" so far is always 1 for "Standard straigth Cyln + 8 mm Keycap" [sic]. Hirose could for example have put a 2 here. We don't yet know.

I have not had luck with contacting Japanese companies (Alps, SMK, Futaba etc) and it may be better if a Japanese person were to contact these companies as they may respond better to a native Japanese speaker.

Really terrible translation / 本当にひどい翻訳:

rzwvありがとうございます!チェリー英国はこれらのスイッチを認識していないなぜ今私は知っている。

私は広瀬に連絡し、彼らはM8とMXスイッチの任意の部品番号または仕様を持っている場合、それらを聞いてきます。 "チェリーオレンジは"十分説明的ではありません。また、シリーズ名(例えばM7、M9、MX)は、ステムを含めたり、マウントされません。特に使用される多くの異なった茎の高齢スイッチ(高さ、マウント、角度)。 MXab-cdefコードでは、'd'の位置"Keystem構成は、"これまでの"標準straigth Cyln+8ミリキーキャップ"のための[sic]。常に1です広瀬は、例えばここに2を入れている可能性があります。我々はまだ知らない。

私は、日本企業(アルプス、SMK、フタバなど)と接触と運を持っていなかったし、日本人は彼らが日本人スピーカーに良く応答することができるように、これらの企業にご連絡していた場合、それは良いかもしれません。

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Oct 2013, 15:35

(Interestingly, maybe some of the ones yabb has, are Cherry China or Hirose designs, or some other company. I don't believe robin's suggestion that they're all fake: they're clearly real, but possibly not made in Germany)

dustinhxc

24 Nov 2013, 10:06

Awesome read, thank you!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Apr 2014, 18:34

7bit wrote:Someone must get Sixty out of his hobby-hibernation. I know he has a keyboard with old MXWHITEs. I think I remember that the old ones where more like nowadays blues.
Big necro bump here. Yes I do have one keyboard with the old MX Whites that i once dubbed "Vintage Type B". They do feel a lot more like the modern MX Blue and do not have that kinda mushy feel to them. They were used in some very very early G80-1000HFDs from 1988 (and perhaps earlier - unlabeled?).

I have previously opened and compared this switch somewhere on here. As far as I remember, the construction is almost identical to blues, including the color of the click slider.

As for country-specific versions...
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Hirose could for example have put a 2 here. We don't yet know.
I think Daniel was onto something here. I actually have this old vintage Datasheet that actually listed some of the different keystem variations, and they were all country specific. Going by this spec sheet Hirose might have been a "N" instead of a "2", as Japan was listed as "N" in this sheet. Was this one ever scanned?

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2014, 19:09

So that table replaces the "1" in "MX1A"?

The person I was dealing with at Hirose appears not to have got anywhere, and no, I've never seen that table before, so it probably hasn't been scanned.

There's so much that we could learn from all the missing catalogues and brochures, such as how blue and white (A and B) related (when were white A and white B actually on sale, for example).

Halvar

02 Apr 2014, 19:43

Dirge uploaded it to the wiki:

7bit

02 Apr 2014, 20:07

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:So that table replaces the "1" in "MX1A"?

No it replaces this:

MX1A-11NN

The red 1 is the key stem configuration (straigt or at an angle and maybe other mount system).

I think they used this position to indicate the place where the special version switch had been manufactured and then numbered according to a special scheme different to the one in the sheet.
If we would order ergo clears, they could be named

MX1A-0GNN
and the clear top variant maybe
MX1B-0GNN
or maybe
MX1A-0GEC

At least this is how I understand this.
:?

ps: I just realise that A and B are not considered clicky in the description.
:o

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2014, 20:19

Halvar wrote:Dirge uploaded it to the wiki:
What's funny is that I recognise that page but I don't remember reading half of what's on it. I'll have to check whether I really do have that file already — I probably do. Interestingly it mentions the click sound.
7bit wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:So that table replaces the "1" in "MX1A"?

No it replaces this:

MX1A-11NN
Ah. I couldn't remember the syntax off-hand. My brain is verging on collapse right now. I should probably eat something.

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2014, 20:24

Why would clear top be MX1B? That position is for the number of contacts.

A is MX white, which is the one that's lubed so that it won't click. The implication is that the space bar switch (click grey, B) is lubed likewise. In other worse, B is the lubed version of F (green).

Interesting …

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2014, 21:58

Ergo clear would be something like MX1A-M1NN, where M is the next letter in sequence after the most recently assigned one, L for Red. Nothing else would change.

PS: D'oh!
482802141.png
482802141.png (164.83 KiB) Viewed 5254 times

7bit

02 Apr 2014, 23:55

In the switch info pdf-file you can see what I mean! They suggest that certain letters are used according to location of the factory, should they make non-standard switches which do not fit into the naming scheme. I only gave examples how this could look like.
:roll:

ps: In the top section of this page, you should find something to eat!
:evilgeek:

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Apr 2014, 00:06

That character represents "Keystem configuration" according to the scanned document. We already know that two keystem variants exist: Alps, and Hirose Cherry.

Whether the keystem configuration column would be used for new spring/slider combination, I do not know. You'd have to check what code Cherry assigned MX Red when it was originally made as a custom batch: was it given code 'L' from the start? Not that it stands to reason that Cherry used the same naming now as they did in the 80s and 90s.

Return to “Gallery”