HHKB Pro JP Type-S

phetto
Elite

18 Nov 2013, 09:20

Wanted to share some pictures of my keyboard. Its one of my favorite keyboards and its really useful with the arrow keys compared to other 60% which doesnt have arrow keys. 8-)
HHKB
HHKB
NLJqGAA.jpg (501.29 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
HHKB2
HHKB2
daqK4wj.jpg (716.36 KiB) Viewed 6844 times

snoopy

18 Nov 2013, 11:16

I like how salute looks on that board. And its nice that it has an iso enter, but the position of right shift would drive me crazy. Do you know if it is also avialable with blank caps?

cookie

18 Nov 2013, 11:27

I like the wrist rest! The clacks are not my cup of tea tbh...

Back then when I was looking for a good 60% keyboard I stumbled across the HHKB JP and liked that is verry ISO..ish (Because I was typing on ISO those days)

I was concerned about the missing arrow keys on the US one and the ANSI Layout but two huge things hold me back fromthe HHKB JP. The small space bar and the right shift key... I saw no way to get used to it. After a few month of typing on my regular HHKB, I got used to the ansi layout and I really like the small enter key and the backspace position on it.

Do you type japanese or how does it come that you bought the JP version?

phetto
Elite

18 Nov 2013, 11:45

snoopy wrote:I like how salute looks on that board. And its nice that it has an iso enter, but the position of right shift would drive me crazy. Do you know if it is also avialable with blank caps?
I never use the right shift anyway so that isnt a problem for me. Its available in black with blanks I think.

phetto
Elite

18 Nov 2013, 11:49

cookie wrote:I like the wrist rest! The clacks are not my cup of tea tbh...

Back then when I was looking for a good 60% keyboard I stumbled across the HHKB JP and liked that is verry ISO..ish (Because I was typing on ISO those days)

I was concerned about the missing arrow keys on the US one and the ANSI Layout but two huge things hold me back fromthe HHKB JP. The small space bar and the right shift key... I saw no way to get used to it. After a few month of typing on my regular HHKB, I got used to the ansi layout and I really like the small enter key and the backspace position on it.

Do you type japanese or how does it come that you bought the JP version?
Its very close to ISO and I also wanted to have a dedicated key where ctrl usually is. I played a lot of fpa games. Not so much now though.

I have a few things left to do with it. I wanted to get blanks for it but it seems impossible. :D

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2013, 11:57

cookie wrote: I was concerned about the missing arrow keys on the US one and the ANSI Layout but two huge things hold me back fromthe HHKB JP. The small space bar and the right shift key... I saw no way to get used to it. After a few month of typing on my regular HHKB, I got used to the ansi layout and I really like the small enter key and the backspace position on it.
The HHKB Pro JP is a very interesting board. I love that tiny space bar and the extra mods it allows where the regular HHKB Pro is most lacking. But I'm right with you on the crazy right shift. No way!

Every layout is a compromise. To get its arrow keys, JP compromises in that bottom right corner pretty heavily. If there was just a version with this small space bar & extra mods and the rest in the HHKB Pro's layout, then wow, that would be my most lusted board! Classic function layer HHKB arrows take some getting used to, but they really seal the deal on a complete 60%. Cramming in extra keys where full size mods should go is a recipe for disaster, for me at any rate. Though space bars…

I think the JP is popular outside of Japan in spite of its Kana keys, not because of them. Can you simply remap them to whatever modifiers you like, I wonder? I'm spoiled for all that programmability by Soarer's inventions.

phetto
Elite

18 Nov 2013, 12:03

Mu:
I tried to investigate wether its possible to remap them. I believe they are remappable but not sure how. Im way to lazy. :D

tlt

18 Nov 2013, 12:56

On my Mac I have mapped the one to the left of space to Enter and the ones to the right to Backspace and Right shift. I'm pressing them with my thumbs which helps me keep my hand at the home row. I'm really like this as I don't have to move my hand to backspace when I do typos. The alternative would be to stop doing typos ;-)

cookie

18 Nov 2013, 14:02

Muirium wrote:
cookie wrote: I was concerned about the missing arrow keys on the US one and the ANSI Layout but two huge things hold me back fromthe HHKB JP. The small space bar and the right shift key... I saw no way to get used to it. After a few month of typing on my regular HHKB, I got used to the ansi layout and I really like the small enter key and the backspace position on it.
The HHKB Pro JP is a very interesting board. I love that tiny space bar and the extra mods it allows where the regular HHKB Pro is most lacking. But I'm right with you on the crazy right shift. No way!

Every layout is a compromise. To get its arrow keys, JP compromises in that bottom right corner pretty heavily. If there was just a version with this small space bar & extra mods and the rest in the HHKB Pro's layout, then wow, that would be my most lusted board! Classic function layer HHKB arrows take some getting used to, but they really seal the deal on a complete 60%. Cramming in extra keys where full size mods should go is a recipe for disaster, for me at any rate. Though space bars…

I think the JP is popular outside of Japan in spite of its Kana keys, not because of them. Can you simply remap them to whatever modifiers you like, I wonder? I'm spoiled for all that programmability by Soarer's inventions.
Once you got used to the function layer arrow keys you are good to go! But still, I think they should swap page up/down with home/end... I still accidently press page up/down and wonder where the hell I landet in my source code... I like the cluster how neo did it on his 40% board... What a pitty that there is no jumper on the HHKB to set those things up.

All in all I am verry happy with mine and the difference to a regular ruberdome is huge.... I had to type on one at my colleagues computer and it was just bad!

mj45

18 Nov 2013, 14:34

Not being familiar with the JP layout what function do the kana keys provide?

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2013, 14:46

I believe they're for Japanese text input, including complex Kanji characters (there are thousands) by typing their sound in Roman characters. I know 天 means Heaven, for instance, so you can type it by using these keys and its spoken name "Ten".

cookie

18 Nov 2013, 16:44

Wow this is interesting, I woul'd still miss the backspace above the enter key (US)... This is the main reason I can't go back to regular layouts anymore :)

tlt

18 Nov 2013, 16:55

I think there are many words that are pronounced the same so you get a menu that you can cycle with circle arrow keys to select the one you want

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2013, 17:56

tlt wrote:I think there are many words that are pronounced the same so you get a menu that you can cycle with circle arrow keys to select the one you want
Exactly! That makes a ton of sense. Especially right at your thumbs. The HHKB JP is probably a hellishly fast keyboard for typing Japanese on. Just as it should be!

photekq
Cherry Picker

18 Nov 2013, 22:18

Looks really nice phetto!

If I were to get a HHKB I'd definitely go for the JP. Gotta have those arrow keys for dota..

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Nov 2013, 22:40

That's not a HHKB. :x

A real HHKB is a computer keyboard with a layout extensively researched and invented by Eiiti Wada, Japanese computing pioneer and genius.

That JP keyboard is something designed by PFU to milk the brand.

tlt

19 Nov 2013, 07:47

You are right that the original HHKB is great for what it primally was designed for (Unix, programming, ANSI) especially if you use it as it is was intended. I don't think Eiiti Wada had dota in mind when designing it though :-) .
This doesn't make the HHKB JP a bad keyboard. It is not as pure but it gives some options and it has a unique feature combination: Topre switches, JP layout, arrow keys, 60% size. Milking the brand would be having a oem make Cherry MX tenkeyless.

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2013, 11:21

The real milker is the HHKB lite.

cookie

19 Nov 2013, 11:23

photekq wrote:Looks really nice phetto!

If I were to get a HHKB I'd definitely go for the JP. Gotta have those arrow keys for dota..
What for you need arrow keys for DotA? :O

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2013, 11:26

Why's everyone into Day of the Tentacle again, anyway? Have point and click adventures finally made a comeback. About time…

tlt

19 Nov 2013, 12:47

Muirium wrote:The real milker is the HHKB lite.
True

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

19 Nov 2013, 13:31

Muirium wrote:Why's everyone into Day of the Tentacle again, anyway? Have point and click adventures finally made a comeback. About time…
Hilarious game.

cookie

19 Nov 2013, 14:58

Muirium wrote:Why's everyone into Day of the Tentacle again, anyway? Have point and click adventures finally made a comeback. About time…
One of my favorite advanture games! But DotA = Defens of the Ancients wich has nothing to do with Day of the Tentacle ;)

photekq
Cherry Picker

19 Nov 2013, 16:44

Day of the Tentacle? Hahah! Nah, I meant DoTA2.

Cookie, I need them for moving around the map!

phetto
Elite

19 Nov 2013, 23:33

@photekq, thanks. I also used the arrow keys for a while but I dont anymore. I have a few friends who use it, so I understand its very comfortable. :)

@Webwit u mad bro? >:D

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2013, 01:25

SACRILEGE! BURN IT WITH FIRE! :evil:

Nah, to each his own. Carry on.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2013, 03:14

But would he be as laid back if a true HHKB lite fan were to show up?

dustinhxc

20 Nov 2013, 08:14

nice hhkb ! i dont think i could stand the arrows though :)

cookie

20 Nov 2013, 10:52

photekq wrote:Day of the Tentacle? Hahah! Nah, I meant DoTA2.

You really need the arrow keys for that?
Try the middle mouse button :) I wich LoL would implement it that way :/

phetto
Elite

20 Nov 2013, 11:50

cookie wrote:
photekq wrote:Day of the Tentacle? Hahah! Nah, I meant DoTA2.

You really need the arrow keys for that?
Try the middle mouse button :) I wich LoL would implement it that way :/
Move the cursor in the edges of the screen to move the field of view ;]

Return to “Gallery”