well what do you lot think ?

collector of junk

17 May 2014, 15:36

after seeing http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t7468.html it inspired me to have a go at one of my (many) dells

had a old acorn case that I always liked then managed to get a load of commodore keyboards from ebay
plus I'd "attempted to modd the dell by just putting some keycaps on top of the dell ones but never really liked the end result

half way though the modd

I used commodore keycaps (ones that fit on black stems as there are different types white/grey stems also .which look like they will work with cherry switches better )for the keycap convertor I used some plastic bar 2mm X 4mm from model railway supplier's (my old hobby).
cut a "step" into the top half to fit the keycap then filed the sides of the bottom half to fit the alps switch .
the convertors where 10mm long. 5mm in the keycap and 5mm in the switch.
you can get brass bar also but the plastic nice and easy to work and seems strong enough .

had to cut up the space bar in order for it to fit but I think it looks ok (ish)!!

the other keycaps where just from a rubber dome board and had the stems removed and just lightly glued onto the original dell caps (In case I ever want to remove them).not that happy with the "sit on effect" but it means all the caps are at same level

sprayed the case gloss white and give it a coat of gloss varnish just to help protect it
the white went ok but got a couple of bits in the varnish !!!!!!

really like the pen bar and got to have a curly lead on a old school keyboard
may want to put a logo where the acorn one was .either alps or deskthority
anyway what do you lot think any good???
hope I've explained how I did it ok any questions please just ask

nourathar

21 May 2014, 17:15

I'm impressed by your converters !

And they make me wonder why there is no lively trade in Alps-switches-to-CherryMX-caps-converters, given the greatness of Alps switches and the availability of all kinds of great Cherry keycaps..
Perhaps there is and I managed to miss it ?

And I really like the kind of rough look you get by mixing very different keycaps and cutting space bars..

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 May 2014, 17:25

nourathar wrote:I'm impressed by your converters !

And they make me wonder why there is no lively trade in Alps-switches-to-CherryMX-caps-converters, given the greatness of Alps switches and the availability of all kinds of great Cherry keycaps..

And I really like the kind of rough look you get by mixing very different keycaps and cutting space bars..
Alps>MX converters wouldn't really work. They would raise the keycaps up quite a lot, making the keyboard look a bit silly and making the stems unstable. kmiller8 on geekhack has 3d-printed some in the past I think.

collector of junk

21 May 2014, 17:26

nourathar wrote:I'm impressed by your converters !

"rough" thought I'd done ok (ish) lol
the thing is the converters are dead easy to do (in plastic or brass)and as you say open alps switches to cherry mx keycaps
as for the spacebar I like to use as much as I can and not end up with loads of left overs
and thanks for replying

Muirium
µ

21 May 2014, 17:27

Those Commodore caps are sublime! I haven't seen any in an age, but the front printed graphic characters and the pi reminded me of my VIC-20's many mysteries.

Mount adapters are tricky. Right now, all the action is in Topre switch => MX caps. Alps definitely deserves a shot, but you have to add a lot of height, like this, to make those fit together. Topre has the double advantage of being in hot demand and has enough space sunk down inside the slider to swallow another mount.

Maybe whole new stems would be better…

How does this board feel, stability wise?

collector of junk

21 May 2014, 17:38

Muirium wrote:Those Commodore caps are sublime! I haven't seen any in an age, but the front printed graphic characters and the pi reminded me of my VIC-20's many mysteries.

Mount adapters are tricky. Right now, all the action is in Topre switch => MX caps. Alps definitely deserves a shot, but you have to add a lot of height, like this, to make those fit together. Topre has the double advantage of being in hot demand and has enough space sunk down inside the slider to swallow another mount.

Maybe whole new stems would be better…

How does this board feel, stability wise?
to be fair a little wobbly but not that bad (not that I type a lot at the best of times and I only really built it to "look at")
I think it lifted the caps about 3 to 5mm at the most .I'll plug it in my other pc and give it a "run though "to see how it feels

Return to “Gallery”