Tearing apart my beam spring

Icarium

29 May 2014, 14:36

I bought a beam spring board on Ebay a while ago. It was probably overpriced but I was greedy and stupid. With xwhatsit making controllers for them now I decided to check out the condition and see if I can't get it to work.
Here are some pictures:
almostcomplete.jpg
almostcomplete.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
The foil is probably supposed to protect it from dirt but over the year it seems to have to turned into the very thing it is supposed to fend off.
foil.jpg
foil.jpg (365.58 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Stabs are a bit rusty, too.
messy.jpg
messy.jpg (379.47 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Under it, it does however look better.
cleaner.jpg
cleaner.jpg (212.84 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Oh hey, I found some ID.
tags.jpg
tags.jpg (257.24 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
A few more screws and we're finally getting to the good parts.
board.jpg
board.jpg (264.88 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
switches.jpg
switches.jpg (393.31 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Now I need your help, the metal part which holds the caps is bent on some of the switches and I would like to remove the to straighten them out. Does anybody know how?
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (252.62 KiB) Viewed 5502 times

mr_a500

29 May 2014, 16:19

I just took webwit's advice and hit it with a hammer. (I knew I could always sue webwit if anything went wrong :D)

Those contamination shields are always in a pitiful state, but at least they usually protect the rest of the keyboard from getting ruined, no matter how badly it was stored.

phosphorglow

29 May 2014, 17:03

Woof!Delicious.

Icarium

29 May 2014, 18:52

mr_a500 wrote:I just took webwit's advice and hit it with a hammer. (I knew I could always sue webwit if anything went wrong :D)

Those contamination shields are always in a pitiful state, but at least they usually protect the rest of the keyboard from getting ruined, no matter how badly it was stored.
I was pretty surprised that the just used some sort of rubber and then pressed the keys on over it.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2014, 19:13

<Imagines the new computer smell these boards would have had, out of the box.>

How does beam spring's underside compare to Model F's flip plates? Do those squares pop up when the switch is activated? It looks a lot like its descendant, especially on the PCB, but I read in Xwhatsit's documentation that beam spring is the reverse polarity, capacitance wise, compared to buckling spring.

tlt

29 May 2014, 20:12

Muirium wrote:<Imagines the new computer smell these boards would have had, out of the box.>

How does beam spring's underside compare to Model F's flip plates? Do those squares pop up when the switch is activated? It looks a lot like its descendant, especially on the PCB, but I read in Xwhatsit's documentation that beam spring is the reverse polarity, capacitance wise, compared to buckling spring.
I think it's pretty smart actually. It's a cheap and simple way to get it resistant to beverages spill when it was new and the rubber was fresh, don't think they ment it to last 30+ years :-)

Muirium
µ

29 May 2014, 20:18

Naturally! Who expects today's technology to work so far into the future? And they seem to have done half their job well. The contamination inside of beam springs is a known quantity: it is made of that shield!

The interesting thing with cap sense, and Hall effect, keyboards is that they generally do still work in 30 years. Maybe even 300 with a little careful maintenance every now and then.

E TwentyNine

29 May 2014, 22:22

Muirium wrote:<Imagines the new computer smell these boards would have had, out of the box.>

Yes. As you push down when you reach the activation point the fly plate pulls up and the key activation force just drops. Has a great feel to it.

Halvar

29 May 2014, 23:19

I experimented with different kinds of foils to replace the contamination shields, but I haven't found a good solution yet.

You have to put a lot of extra foil between the switches to keep them from interacting with one another (neighbour keycaps moving when you press down a key)

But the more extra foil you put there, the more foil rustling you hear when typing, which for some reason annoys me a lot.

I had the best results with really thin Saran wrap (clingwrap) so far, but it's still not ideal, both silent high-pitched rustling and some crosstalk between key caps.

I wonder how the original shields were made and if there is a way to imitate that. What I would need is something like a thermoplastic rubber material, but not shrinking but kind of adopting to the surface. I thought about using something like those silicons that become rubber-like when hardening (think bathroom gaps), but I don't really know how to apply that without risking it to contaminate every gap in the keyboard.

Icarium

29 May 2014, 23:25

I'm also surprised by how much wiggle room the switches have. Now I want to somehow keep them all in place better. :)

E TwentyNine

29 May 2014, 23:25

My guess would be the original shield were put into a heated press that had the shape of the keyboard assembly. So it was molded before it made it to the keyboard, then it was placed and those little "doilies" on each key were added.

I don't think it was a one step process where a flat piece of material was added to the keyboard.

E TwentyNine

29 May 2014, 23:28

Might as well ask in this thread...

Has anyone taken apart a beam spring switch? I don't mean just removing the fly plate, but removing the metal stem, white plunger, circular spring from the black shell and each other.

And if so, have you managed to reassemble it? I've done the fly plate, which is just loads of fun...

Icarium

29 May 2014, 23:33

Well, I pulled really hard on one of the metal stems but couldn't get it out. That's what I was asking earlier...

Oh and I just looked through http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Beam_Spring_Keyboards but couldn't find this exact board. Does anybody know what it is?

E TwentyNine

29 May 2014, 23:47

Icarium wrote:Well, I pulled really hard on one of the metal stems but couldn't get it out. That's what I was asking earlier...

Oh and I just looked through http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Beam_Spring_Keyboards but couldn't find this exact board. Does anybody know what it is?

Parak

30 May 2014, 18:31

Halvar wrote:I experimented with different kinds of foils to replace the contamination shields, but I haven't found a good solution yet.
Here's how I did it: linky

YMMV :D

Halvar

30 May 2014, 19:15

Thanks Parak, yes, it was your great post that insprired me to experiment with different foils.

Don't you have any rustling sounds when you type on that?

E TwentyNine

30 May 2014, 22:00

Are you guys really that concerned about contamination? I have mine with the shield removed and no plans on replacing it.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

30 May 2014, 22:31

I haven't replace my contamination shield and have no problems at all so far. I do cover the keyboard when I'm not at the PC though.

Icarium

31 May 2014, 10:28

E TwentyNine wrote:Are you guys really that concerned about contamination? I have mine with the shield removed and no plans on replacing it.
Yeah, that's how I'm planning to use it.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

31 May 2014, 12:39

Muirium wrote:How does beam spring's underside compare to Model F's flip plates? Do those squares pop up when the switch is activated? It looks a lot like its descendant, especially on the PCB, but I read in Xwhatsit's documentation that beam spring is the reverse polarity, capacitance wise, compared to buckling spring.
Yes, the "fly plate" (to use IBM's terminology) retracts back into the switch housing when the switch actuates, so it moves away from the contact pad instead of moving towards it as in the Model F. You can place a Beam Spring on top of a Model F contact pad, but the Model F's controller will think that the switch at rest has been pressed, and that its at rest when you press it.

Regarding talk of dismantling the switch - I tried it once, and my conclusion was that this was not possible without breaking the switch, but if someone more adventurous (and with more spare beam springs) wants to try, I'd love to see the photos ;)

Regarding the bent keycap mounts, IBM mentioned this in their maintenance manuals, I think you can twist them without dismantling the switch.

xwhatsit

06 Jun 2014, 03:56

E TwentyNine wrote:Are you guys really that concerned about contamination? I have mine with the shield removed and no plans on replacing it.
My daily-driver 3727 gets a lot of use at work, and I removed the shield from it about 6 months ago. It was originally in good condition, but with the keyboard getting heavy use it fell to bits.

Since doing that, I have had to take the back off it again twice to clean it. The first time might have just been residual shield bits filtering through the switches (I didn't strip down each switch, as it appears the flyplate it somewhat fragile). However the second time definitely had a few beard hairs in the mix... :?

E TwentyNine

06 Jun 2014, 17:21

Did you notice a performance degradation? I've had M's and F's that were very dirty when disassembled but still worked great.

xwhatsit

07 Jun 2014, 12:11

Absolutely—I started getting glitchy keys that would repeat or just go off spamming by their own. Initially I had a fright that there was something wrong with my controller, but after viewing traces on the oscilloscope I could see that those keys were actually higher capacitance for whatever reason—and it seems a bit of flaky rubber shield or hair is enough to cause that. Removing the foreign matter resolved the problem immediately.

M's of course would need a small brick or pebble to cause a misfire, being ohmic switched rather than capacitive. The Fs are much more sealed up generally, and with the higher levels of capacitance they produce even if there was dirt in the right place there would need to be much more of it to reach such a threshold. The fact that they're `normally open' w.r.t. capacitance may help here too; foreign matter is likely to inhibit capacitance (by holding the flyplate or foot up from the PCB, or interfering by being a poor dielectric etc.), and with the beamsprings, they are higher capacitance when unpressed, unlike the Model Fs. If you have a 1-in-a-1000-scan glitch because of some fluff in your key, this is enough to cause a key to do a fake press on a beamspring, but will only cause a momentary delay or unintended double-press on a Model F when you *are* actually pressing the key.

Hypersphere

09 Jun 2014, 22:01

xwhatsit wrote:Absolutely—I started getting glitchy keys that would repeat or just go off spamming by their own. Initially I had a fright that there was something wrong with my controller, but after viewing traces on the oscilloscope I could see that those keys were actually higher capacitance for whatever reason—and it seems a bit of flaky rubber shield or hair is enough to cause that. Removing the foreign matter resolved the problem immediately.

M's of course would need a small brick or pebble to cause a misfire, being ohmic switched rather than capacitive. The Fs are much more sealed up generally, and with the higher levels of capacitance they produce even if there was dirt in the right place there would need to be much more of it to reach such a threshold. The fact that they're `normally open' w.r.t. capacitance may help here too; foreign matter is likely to inhibit capacitance (by holding the flyplate or foot up from the PCB, or interfering by being a poor dielectric etc.), and with the beamsprings, they are higher capacitance when unpressed, unlike the Model Fs. If you have a 1-in-a-1000-scan glitch because of some fluff in your key, this is enough to cause a key to do a fake press on a beamspring, but will only cause a momentary delay or unintended double-press on a Model F when you *are* actually pressing the key.
What oscilloscope do you use? What kind would you recommend for someone getting into electronics as a hobbyist? From briefly looking into this, I see that there are PC-based scopes (e.g., picoscope), which has a certain appeal e.g., combining several instruments into one in a cost-effective way, but purists tend to disrecommend them in favor of standalone bench scopes, such as the Rigol DS1102E, perhaps used in conjunction with a logic analyzer and signal generator.

Compgeke

09 Jun 2014, 22:32

I use a far overkill 'scope I got for free: A Tektronix TDS684B (Unless you REALLY need a quad channel 1 GHz 'scope). I know on the local Craigslist I can get some cheaper 'scopes for around $100-$200 such as BK Precision and some oddballs like 60s and 70s Tektronix ones.

For basic checking to see if a key is pressed or whatnot a cheap USB 'scope should work well enough. If you want to do serious work I would try and pick up a used 'scope somewhere if possible. For a keyboard I wouldn't imagine you would need something that goes higher than 25 MHz and having a separate unit is nice as it's harder to lose and you know you won't be limited by software in the future.

xwhatsit

09 Jun 2014, 23:32

I'd be a bit wary of the USB scopes, many of the ones I've seen are absolute junk and don't even approach the sorts of bandwidth and sampling rates they promise.

The Rigol DS1052E is ridiculously cheap; I use a DS1102E (it was a warranty replacement for a DS1052E with a faulty PSU—don't be scared off, they seem very reliable for the most part). The DS1052E is the one that can be famously uncorked to become a DS1102E through a firmware modification (they are the same hardware internally).

A logic analyser would be nice but I've rarely had cause to use one. I think I've used a signal generator perhaps once in anger in the past couple of years. That said, occasionally you can get good deals on old gear—my co-worker picked up an amazing set of vintage HP gear which included a pulse generator, signal generator, frequency counter and a beautiful double-trace scope for a steal (ex-Air NZ, circa 70s I think). Of course, hopelessly impractical due to massive size; nevertheless beautiful stuff if you like tactile hardware.

In short—save the money you would have spent on a logic analyser and signal generator and put it towards a dedicated scope. You don't need to spend stupid amounts to show you what's really going on. A scope really demystifies a lot of stuff that seems really impenetrable for a software guy like me!

Hypersphere

09 Jun 2014, 23:45

Thanks, Compgeke and xwhatsit, for the scope recommendations. It really helps to get insights from people with some similar interests here on DT. I have just started learning about scopes and looking for information on them, which I have found a bit overwhelming and confusing. However, a pattern of recommendations is emerging -- namely, to avoid PC-based scopes and go for a solid standalone bench scope.

What about ethernet scopes (as opposed to USB scopes)? I would suppose your advice would be the same, given that these are PC-based.

Hypersphere

11 Jun 2014, 16:51

Parak wrote:
Halvar wrote:I experimented with different kinds of foils to replace the contamination shields, but I haven't found a good solution yet.
Here's how I did it: linky

YMMV :D
Could you tell us the exact material you used for your contamination shield and where you purchased it?

I have a Displaywriter ("Great White") that I would like to restore. I am debating replacing the contamination shield (which has degraded into black flakes) or just cleaning out the debris and using the keyboard without a shield.

Return to “Gallery”