Delivery from Unicomp

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 16:31

I just got these for me and some other french speaking people

Unicomp is very friendly, you can order via mail a custom order and pay by CC.

The trickiest part was speaking that damn english called American :mrgreen: I even had problems understanding their answering machine, i really need to watch "Game on thrones" witout subtitles ...

Here are the pics
Bags of keys azerty and blank ansi black
Bags of keys azerty and blank ansi black
Unicomp1.jpg (502.34 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
101 Customizer and Industrial case
101 Customizer and Industrial case
Unicomp2.jpg (451.21 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
badges for industrial cases
badges for industrial cases
Unicomp3.jpg (163.42 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
colors
colors
Unicomp4.jpg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
The keyboard is very nice, it has a little flex and the sound of the switches has less ping than my Lexmark SSK, it is lighter too.

The key quality is awesome, so is the texture.

Haes

27 Jun 2011, 16:45

awesome, hf with that :)

Swede

27 Jun 2011, 17:08

Nice, didn't know you could buy cases and badges from them! Maybe I should give my M some love :)

nathanscribe

27 Jun 2011, 17:23

Nice - just check the contents of those bags though, Unicomp have made errors on both orders I've placed with them.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jun 2011, 17:26

Cool, full size logos. When I got my industrial cases, they shipped small logos for space savers with them. When I asked about that, Chuck claimed they didn't have the full size any longer ;)

xbb

27 Jun 2011, 17:33

I want an industrial case!

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 17:34

you're talking about the blue labels ?

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jun 2011, 17:42

Yeah, I got my loot with small black ones:

7bit

27 Jun 2011, 17:47

xbb wrote:I want an industrial case!
Me too!

Do they still manufacture them? Thought they make only black and beige ones.

@Gilgam: Is it really possible to pay by real Credit Card, no PayPal needed?

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 17:47

xbb wrote:I want an industrial case!
They are fine, good quality plastic, i don't know if they are the smae than the "true" industrial from IBM, but they look fine. I just have to find the correct tool to unmount the customizer.

They are at 20$ each and fit a model M (no windows key)

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 17:50

7bit wrote:
xbb wrote:
Yes you just have to mail them the CC number ( i didn't want to do it, i'm too geek to trust non GPG emails :mrgreen: ) or call them and tell you CC number at phone (i hope you speak and understand american better than me...).

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jun 2011, 17:56

I always worked with credit card with them. I order something, they charge my credit card, it is done.
I see they DOUBLED the prices of the cases ;)
Better get there quick, that's new old stock and in probably limited quantities.

7bit

27 Jun 2011, 17:57

Gilgam wrote:
7bit wrote:
xbb wrote:
Yes you just have to mail them the CC number ( i didn't want to do it, i'm too geek to trust non GPG emails :mrgreen: ) or call them and tell you CC number at phone (i hope you speak and understand american better than me...).
Don't they have a teletype machine?
webwit wrote:I always worked with credit card with them. I order something, they charge my credit card, it is done.
I see they DOUBLED the prices of the cases ;)
Better get there quick, that's new old stock and in probably limited quantities.
OK, thanks!

ripster

27 Jun 2011, 18:38

raiders.png
raiders.png (871.64 KiB) Viewed 7252 times

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 19:17

webwit wrote: I see they DOUBLED the prices of the cases ;)

Yes the cases were at 10$ some months ago when i first asked them

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jun 2011, 19:25

Then you got on the phone and they doubled the price! :mrgreen:

Gilgam

27 Jun 2011, 20:23

it was my french accent :mrgreen:
so tourist

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

28 Jun 2011, 00:27

Last I checked, there was an appropriate interface on the website for entering one's CC number.

Gunny

28 Jun 2011, 08:54

daedalus wrote:Last I checked, there was an appropriate interface on the website for entering one's CC number.
Yes but they don't sell keys and cases on their front shop.

litster

01 Jul 2011, 01:10

I order a couple of grey industrial cases last week as well and they are at home waiting for me to open the package. I didn't know the cases come with labels. Awesome! Jim did say to me over the phone that they still "hundreds" of the industrial cases, but no space saver cases, of course :-(

litster

01 Jul 2011, 03:52

Just opened my Unicomp package. My 2 Model M industrial cases do not come with IBM label stickers! *cry*

gilgam, did you have to order the stickers separately?

wanabe

01 Jul 2011, 07:03

last time i bought a case from unicomp, i made sure to ask for the label and they threw it in no charge.

litster

05 Jul 2011, 20:33

Man, this sucks. I called Jim at Unicomp just now. I told him there are very recent shipments of industrial cass shipped with IBM logo labels. He said they are not supposed to send out any IBM logo labels and anything they sent before were mistakes. He would not send me any! *cry*

Does anyone has a extra label or two you can sell to me? Please?

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jul 2011, 23:05

Typical Unicomp logic. That is three variants by now. Me, they sent me space saver style logos because "they were out of the larger logos". The next gets full size logos. The next gets no logos.

I've got a few spare smaller ones left, if you want those and can't get the bigger ones. Trying to get the bigger ones myself. With the smaller ones you get this effect.

litster

05 Jul 2011, 23:15

Hi webwit. It would be great if I could get a couple of tghe smaller ones from you. The smaller ones actually looks very nice. I will PM you. Thanks!

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jul 2011, 23:21

They are actually quite nice because of the raised letters and because it has the right colors. The black/silver works much better than the white/blue.

I guess what Unicomp is afraid of, now the NOS case business is at its highest, constructs might get on the markets looking like new IBM.

7bit

05 Jul 2011, 23:29

webwit wrote:They are actually quite nice because of the raised letters and because it has the right colors. The black/silver works much better than the white/blue.

I guess what Unicomp is afraid of, now the NOS case business is at its highest, constructs might get on the markets looking like new IBM.
Maybe you should order these, instead of me. Maybe because of your reputation, they will even give you them for free!

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jul 2011, 23:42

I found dealing with Unicomp always to be quite loveless. Maybe they are just formal, I don't know. In any case, I don't think they will give me a different treatment because I'm a collector or ordered some stuff before. Even if they would appreciate the trendsetting, I think they appreciate it more when Big Corp orders 1000 keyboards.

Findecanor

05 Jul 2011, 23:48

Gilgam wrote:i really need to watch "Game on thrones" witout subtitles ...
Btw, all the actors in Game of Thrones are British or Irish, with their native accents ...

7bit

05 Jul 2011, 23:57

webwit wrote:I found dealing with Unicomp always to be quite loveless. Maybe they are just formal, I don't know. In any case, I don't think they will give me a different treatment because I'm a collector or ordered some stuff before. Even if they would appreciate the trendsetting, I think they appreciate it more when Big Corp orders 1000 keyboards.
I always thought that kind of arrogant elitarism exists only in Germany. Oh well ... :roll:

Edit: OK, if they don't want, they don't what.

What about forging IBM logos?

Idea: We need blank plastic plates and some metal 'negative' of the IBM logo. Then we heat the plastic plate up and emboss the IBM logo into it.

The remaining problem: To get the tool made.

But wait! What about laser-engraving the logo?
There exist a lot of plastic manufacturers which laser engrave key caps and other things. Why not IBM logos?

Return to “Gallery”