New loot from keyboardco

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2011, 23:12

Got a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with ISO layout and Cherry MX Blues (FKBN88MC/UKB2) and a Contour RollerMouse Pro2 from the Keyboard Company for review on deskthority.

Reviews coming soon. Will it ping?!

woody
Count Troller

07 Jul 2011, 23:18

Noob question - which part of the RollerMouse is the actual pointing/tracking element?
I see Scroll wheel and three buttons.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2011, 23:20

The horizontal bar above Copy/Paste. It rolls and goes left/right.

woody
Count Troller

07 Jul 2011, 23:24

Ok, thanks. It was bugging me for a while.
Now I finally get the "roller" part.

Haes

08 Jul 2011, 00:56

congrats and good choice!

nope , it won't ping at all :)

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jul 2011, 00:58

My plan was to bring an end to the ping fud.

Unfortunately a pingy caps lock prevents that.

csm725

08 Jul 2011, 01:52

Haha. Mine has no ping.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jul 2011, 01:58

I guess what must be prevented here is to project anecdotal evidence on all Filcos. I have some others myself. If your Filco pings, it does not mean they all ping. And if yours doesn't ping, it doesn't mean they all do not ping.

csm725

08 Jul 2011, 02:01

webwit wrote:I guess what must be prevented here is to project anecdotal evidence on all Filcos. I have some others myself. If your Filco pings, it does not mean they all ping. And if yours doesn't ping, it doesn't mean they all do not ping.
All ping by definition, the question is how audible it is. Mine pings if I hold the key a bit longer than I normally do and release, and I can only hear it if I put my ear to the keyboard. Redpill I think said that his pinged very loudly.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jul 2011, 02:09

It's not a ping by definition. It's the first I noticed on my Filcos. What makes it different is that it is a secondary resonance ping. I wouldn't call it a ping, but a poing. The closest thing is the poings some keys can produce on an IBM Model M, but here it is more high pitched.

Gilgam

08 Jul 2011, 12:14

Do you know if they plan to get the tenkeyless in ISO red switches ?

nathanscribe

08 Jul 2011, 18:57

I don't think there are any reds left to get...

7bit

08 Jul 2011, 21:52

webwit wrote:The horizontal bar above Copy/Paste. It rolls and goes left/right.
It's a shame these are sending Alt_L+c and Alt_L+v instead of distinctive key codes for Copy and Paste.[1]

------------------------------------
[1] at least on the RollerMouse Free2;
Thanks again for letting me win!

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

10 Jul 2011, 13:16

webwit wrote:I guess what must be prevented here is to project anecdotal evidence on all Filcos. I have some others myself. If your Filco pings, it does not mean they all ping. And if yours doesn't ping, it doesn't mean they all do not ping.
I think this issue appeared with the Majestouch 2, so if all your others are the originals, I guess they don't count.

But otherwise I agree. People on the internet have terrible difficulties getting their heads around the subtleties of defective goods - you'll get people who run around promulgating all sorts of conspiracy theories because they had the misfortune to receive a dud of an otherwise good product, and/or went out of their way to make the item misbehave by some manner that would never occur during normal usage (wellington1869), or people who believe that by virtue of their particular unit being problem free that anyone who claims to have a problem is some sort of imbecile (Ripster).

This is why I don't read user reviews on retailer sites.

sordna

03 Aug 2011, 17:30

Is the rollermouse too large for a tenkeyless? It's certainly too offset for perfectly symmetric keyboard like a Kinesis Advantage.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2011, 17:49

My Rollermouse Classic (thx to intealls, by the way, for selling it to me) is quite exactly 51 cm.
11 cm from left edge to left side of (visible) roller bar, visible roller bar 11 cm wide, 28 cm from right side of (visible) roller bar to right edge, 1 cm missing because of quite approximative measuring :lol:

mintberryminuscrunch

03 Aug 2011, 18:49

webwit wrote:It's not a ping by definition. It's the first I noticed on my Filcos. What makes it different is that it is a secondary resonance ping. I wouldn't call it a ping, but a poing. The closest thing is the poings some keys can produce on an IBM Model M, but here it is more high pitched.
To open the switch and reinsert the spring diddnt help? I remember reading something like that would help. (Something about to much force on the sping at assembly....)
Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

ripster

03 Aug 2011, 19:05

Too much force at assembly?

I'm sure glad anecdotal evidence isn't used here.

mintberryminuscrunch

03 Aug 2011, 19:35

ripster wrote:Too much force at assembly?

I'm sure glad anecdotal evidence isn't used here.
likewise..
Edit: btw. force is the wrong word for what i meant. maybe suspense/tensions/...
the idea was that the spring itself resonates the ping after pressing a key.
Last edited by mintberryminuscrunch on 03 Aug 2011, 21:08, edited 3 times in total.

ripster

03 Aug 2011, 19:38

But otherwise I agree. People on the internet have terrible difficulties getting their heads around the subtleties of defective goods - you'll get people who run around promulgating all sorts of conspiracy theories because they had the misfortune to receive a dud of an otherwise good product, and/or went out of their way to make the item misbehave by some manner that would never occur during normal usage (wellington1869), or people who believe that by virtue of their particular unit being problem free that anyone who claims to have a problem is some sort of imbecile (Ripster).
At least I didn't call you an imbecile.

BTW dental floss mod works.

Now that things have cooled down a bit I need to write that one up and take sound samples.

The Solutor

03 Aug 2011, 22:24

mintberryminuscrunch wrote: To open the switch and reinsert the spring diddnt help? I remember reading something like that would help.

Indeed, was me.

Open and reclosing a brand new, never mounted pinging switches, fixed completely the problem.

I have the sound samples too, but they are not very helpful because with the switch not mounted is hard to record it correctly.
Edit: btw. force is the wrong word for what i meant. maybe suspense/tensions/...
the idea was that the spring itself resonates the ping after pressing a key.
I think torsion is the only reasonable explaination.

ripster

04 Aug 2011, 01:59

Torsion? Have you ever seen how a wave solder machine works? The Cherry MX switches are mounted in a standard way, the tabs lock the switch in, and then the PCB is run through the wave solder machine.

There are plenty of other reasonable explanations.

Ping!

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Aug 2011, 02:06

One might look for an explanation in the differences between the Majestouch 1 and 2. But I don't see any. A very simple reason might be quality control, either at Cherry or at Filco. If you produce 100 Cherry switches, maybe 1 or 2 are pingy. They got to prevent that, or if that's not possible, they got to get them out. They didn't.

The Solutor

04 Aug 2011, 02:09

ripster wrote:Torsion? Have you ever seen how a wave solder machine works?

Have you ever managed to read what I wrote ?

I'm speaking about a brand new switch, never soldered.

Torsional force could be stored inside the switch, when it was assembled.

As a matter of fact a pinging switch opened and reclosed stopped pinging. Completely.

ripster

04 Aug 2011, 02:48

McGurk Effect.

Or the Italian equivalent you imbecile.

The Solutor

04 Aug 2011, 03:07

Hey dude, calm down.

Mc Gurk effect has nothing to do here, and surely Insulting people even less.

ripster

04 Aug 2011, 03:08

Just fulfilling daedalus's prophecy.

The Solutor

04 Aug 2011, 13:24

You are just a crying child, used to become rude whenever you face someone more skilled than you.

ripster

04 Aug 2011, 16:19

I think Cherry Corp needs to do a better job of Quality Control.

I recommend hand testing of all switches for ping before shipping.

Return to “Gallery”