Great/Interesting Finds

Muirium
µ

29 May 2016, 18:43

seebart wrote: It's never "fair" Mu. 8-)
Okay, time for another metaphor: You win some, you clean some.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 May 2016, 18:43

Halvar wrote: And they're gone. Gosh.
Thanks to me. :maverick: I should get %. It's more than cleaning in that case Mu. :o

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 18:56

seebart wrote:
Halvar wrote: And they're gone. Gosh.
Thanks to me. :maverick: I should get %. It's more than cleaning in that case Mu. :o
I got two just in case one is bad condition.. Thanks seebart! Lovely keyboards.

seebart

29 May 2016, 19:01

Like I said, the condition of these is quite random. They're nice but the 32** series is nicer. The keycaps are just like IBM Selectric, really nice.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 19:15

The 32xxs do look nicer, but I much prefer the layout on these 5251s. Much more standard.

Tyr

29 May 2016, 19:31

photekq wrote: Ships to DE but only accepts cash on collection!? :evil:
He also accepted bank transfers and ships to the EU at least. I was actually surprised he answered, usually German sellers just don't respond. Even though my German isn't that bad.

Invisius

29 May 2016, 19:34

I bugged him enough to accept PayPal. Figured 50eur wasn't bad for dhl express insured.

Finally will have a German ibm for my collection, and one of the best! Hope it arrives in one piece :lol:

Big thanks to Seebart for the find
Last edited by Invisius on 29 May 2016, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 19:35

Yeah, he accepted Paypal on request for me too. I had to dust off my German a bit though :lol: I had them shipped to my mailboxde.com

Tyr

29 May 2016, 19:38

photekq wrote: Yeah, he accepted Paypal on request for me too. I had to dust off my German a bit though :lol: I had them shipped to my mailboxde.com
You don't do SEPA in the UK ? I've seen a couple of those package-forwarding services advertised recently. Are you happy with that one ?

Muirium
µ

29 May 2016, 19:43

We don't do Euro in Britain. Which makes SEPA quite useless.

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 19:48

I don't do bank transfers at all. They're a pain in the arse.

I'm very happy with mailboxde.com I've used them once before, and they were superb!

seebart

29 May 2016, 19:51

Muirium wrote: We don't do Euro in Britain. Which makes SEPA quite useless.
Keep it straight Brexit before the exit. To be fair you're involuntarily part of that programm Mu, but that's another thread.
photekq wrote: I don't do bank transfers at all. They're a pain in the arse.

I'm very happy with mailboxde.com I've used them once before, and they were superb!
What is that like paypal?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 May 2016, 20:31

scottc

29 May 2016, 20:54

Doubleshot PBT? Sounds unlikely. Sure it's not ABS?

Edit: Just seen that the wiki says it's PBT... I really don't think I believe that. :? Mr. Zilog Jones apparently claims that it's the case, though: w/index.php?title=Ortek_MCK-101_FX&oldid=26276
We should slam a gigantic [CITATION NEEDED] on that PBT claim. I don't see any sources on the wiki.

Chyros

29 May 2016, 21:06

The Chicony looks really clean. If someone wants to give white Alps a go, that's one you could get :) .

P.S. It's said those Ortek boards have doubleshot PBT, but no-one's been able to confirm or disprove it xD .

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 21:09

seebart wrote: What is that like paypal?
It's a proxy service for Germany. Basically gives you a German shipping address.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 May 2016, 21:15

Now that I won't be outbid, I found this the other day. LED cutouts looks like Alps or MX, but I'm guessing it has Alps since it uses a Cirque Glidepoint trackpad (Alps owns Cirque). Either way, not a bad price regardless. :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

scottc

29 May 2016, 21:36

I have one of those! It's very cool. White Alps clones, but I don't remember which type. It has green alps (clones?) for the LED cutout switches. Keycaps are unfortunately pad-printed, but a really nice colour scheme regardless. Mine's slightly different, it has PS2 for the keyboard instead of DIN5, and not as big a dent in the top as a result.

The touchpad is a little bit janky but still lots of fun. Especially since it's PS2! :D

Crazy Canadian XXIV

29 May 2016, 21:51

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322034193927

Rather impressive case on this one.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 May 2016, 22:05

scottc wrote: I have one of those! It's very cool. White Alps clones, but I don't remember which type. It has green alps (clones?) for the LED cutout switches. Keycaps are unfortunately pad-printed, but a really nice colour scheme regardless. Mine's slightly different, it has PS2 for the keyboard instead of DIN5, and not as big a dent in the top as a result.

The touchpad is a little bit janky but still lots of fun. Especially since it's PS2! :D
I found a similar one when looking through Google images that seems to reflect what you said. Maybe my keys won't be pad print, but I'm guessing they are since the <> key next to left shift is gone.
Crazy Canadian XXIV wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322034193927

Rather impressive case on this one.
Seen that before actually. Anyone know what switches/connector? Usually industrial keyboards are rubber dome or some awful feeling switch, but this one actually looks promising.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

29 May 2016, 22:16

Maybe dyesub PBT?

E3E

29 May 2016, 22:51

scottc wrote: Doubleshot PBT? Sounds unlikely. Sure it's not ABS?

Edit: Just seen that the wiki says it's PBT... I really don't think I believe that. :? Mr. Zilog Jones apparently claims that it's the case, though: w/index.php?title=Ortek_MCK-101_FX&oldid=26276
We should slam a gigantic [CITATION NEEDED] on that PBT claim. I don't see any sources on the wiki.
Chzel reported that their Greek variant was not actually PBT when I asked them about it due to this claim on the wiki that leaked onto some eBay listings. He said that it was actually labeled as an MCK-201FX though, despite looking identical to the 101FX, so it is possible that there is a difference, but all of us speculated that those caps were PBT when they turned out not to be.

Tai Hao DOES make PBT doubleshots these days, and they have had some quirky cap runs like the FAME doubleshots that are pretty much Cherry profile caps, so it's possible. We really need someone with THIS specific model to do a test.

I am skeptical, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

scottc

29 May 2016, 22:58

I know that Tai-Hao make PBT doubleshots now, but it was quite recently that they began to offer them. I vaguely recall that their early ones were a little bit wonky, implying that they didn't have much experience with the process. Anyway, I'm going to assume it's ABS until proven otherwise!

The FAME doubleshots were certainly very quirky. I really would love to get my hands on a set of them...

E3E

29 May 2016, 23:31

Oh yeah, my statement was just to highlight that they have had some ambitious endeavors, but I agree; I believe that the PBT doubleshots were recent, and I am with you in not believing the Orteks have PBT caps :P.

I want to say that it just doesn't make sense for ONE model to have PBT doubleshots not seen anywhere else, but there have been more eccentric examples in the world of keyboards.

lot_lizard

30 May 2016, 00:33

Dra wrote: Anyway, who's gonna host the xwhatsit controller mini-gb? :lol:
Yes please, I'm down to one beamspring extra, and I don't like the idea of the only one current supplier of them (48 a pop pre-shipped is a little much to stomach)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 May 2016, 00:39

Well I made an offer on it so we'll see I guess. :roll:

Dra

30 May 2016, 00:44

The thing with Tai Hao PBT caps is that the legends remain ABS if I recall correctly, also rumor has it that the FAME doubleshots weren't produced by Tai Hao, since their current alps set are neither thick nor cherry profile and I doubt they'd just discard the tooling for them

E3E

30 May 2016, 01:10

Dra wrote: The thing with Tai Hao PBT caps is that the legends remain ABS if I recall correctly, also rumor has it that the FAME doubleshots weren't produced by Tai Hao, since their current alps set are neither thick nor cherry profile and I doubt they'd just discard the tooling for them
Oh, but it's all too dishearteningly untrue. They did have the tooling! Itzmeluigi contacted Tai Hao about the caps a while back and they responded to him saying that they do not have the tooling for those caps any longer, but that they did produce them.

There was also a mention that a future cap series based on the Cherry profile might be released in the future. *

* Maybe I dreamed this last part because I can't find it in our chat history.

Here's the other stuff though:
Thanks for your inquiry.

Regarding the FAME GOG3YLTH-5539, this is very long time ago product. Our current keycap type is TaiHao OEM profile. Please refer to the picture as attachment. And please confirm if this type is accepted by you. If it is OK for you, I will provide the price list to you ASAP.

Looking forward to your reply mail. Thanks.
Hi,

We are sorry that the tooling of the thick type was phased out long time ago.
We did not provide this type keycaps for more than 20 years. Sorry for it.
Best Regards.

Chyros

30 May 2016, 01:31

It's funny, isn't it? From their perspective, some nutjob asks about some antiquated product they haven't made for decades. For us, it's as relevant now as it was back in the day. I had something similar when I contacted Alps.

Invisius

30 May 2016, 03:56

Chyros wrote: It's funny, isn't it? From their perspective, some nutjob asks about some antiquated product they haven't made for decades. For us, it's as relevant now as it was back in the day. I had something similar when I contacted Alps.
I've noticed even the people in a "gamer" market are starting to care about actual quality, asking about things like build materials and cap thickness. Would be great if they brought back the older doubleshot and PBT designs of yore :D

Besides, Signature Plastiscs and Massdrop need some competition.

Return to “Other external”